Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

programing a crestron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donbar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Crestron Software for ST-1700C Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am looking for anyone who could help me acquire the software for the ST-1700C. I have read alot of the posts in the forum and believe that Tom.W or jmayes are two of the most experienced techs that could possibly solve my dilemma. Does anyone know how to contact them?
Canada'eh

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Crestron Reply with quote

[quote] Hey folks,

The two Crestron threads seem to have gone cold. I hope everyone is OK! Very Happy

My story is pretty much the same as the others here. I bought a CNMSX-AV and an ST-1550C a few years ago from a Crestron dealer who was upgrading his personal system. One of my neighbors installs Control 4 stuff for a living and since I'm on the steep part of the learning curve for waaaay too many things right now I had pretty well decided to let him do the automation for my HT. Until I came across this thread.......

Now I think I've been bitten by the bug again, but here's the thing: while the guy who sold me the gear set me up pretty well, I seem to have lost one of the CD ROMs he sent me. I still have a copy of SIMPL, but I can't find my copies of DEAL, VT ProE, or the Crestron database. Where are you guys finding the software? I haven't tried creating an account on the Crestron website, because they make it pretty clear that you have to be a dealer to get the good stuff. Can anybody out there help a fellow DIY'er?

Thanks. [/quote]

I guess this is pretty old... Simpl windows seems harder to find then ever
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crestron protects their dealers by not handing out software, and dealers are also very protective. The easiest way is to hire a Crestron programmer. trying to do this yourself without training is going to be nothing but frustration.
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software is pretty much only available on the crestron ftp site. I learned how to do my own programming through this thread, and managed to have a fully functional system. Then my Marquee died and I decided to go digital, I upgraded my AVR, and blu-ray player. I didn't want to spend another several hours reprogramming my Crestron system. I went to iRule and wish I would have done that from the start. iRule is much easier to learn, is DIY friendly, and I gotta say, it just works better than Crestron (not that Crestron doesn't work or is unreliable, I just think iRule is more user friendly).

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Curt Palme"]Crestron protects their dealers by not handing out software, and dealers are also very protective. The easiest way is to hire a Crestron programmer. trying to do this yourself without training is going to be nothing but frustration.[/quote]

Lol
That's BS to the tenth power.
I have a lot of the Crestron training but it was under the company I worked for. The company couldn't get programming gigs because it usually got outsourced for a tenth the cost from Mexico (oddly) or India. Now the company went under (because of another division in the company) and all I wanna do is continue to play with the Crestron stuff as a hobby. BUT, because the company closed, I am not authorized to download the software.

...and before you say... "If you are certified, you should have the software..." I did... My laptop was taken recently by some poor needy kid and silly me, I didn't make a backup because I didn't think it would be an issue to get the free software.

If only I could remember our client number, I bet it would still work. Way back when, they didn't care who logged into their ftp site to grab the simpl + and vis pro...

I have hope that I will eventually find a friend that will p/m me and help me with this free out dated software...
donbar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Crestron software for ST-1700C Reply with quote

Hello Canada'eh, I know the feeling of frustration that you are going through. I was there until I found a couple of people that led me to the full software for Crestron's older products but the guy who told you that it isn't easy is somewhat correct. Without some help it has it's moments. BUT I found someone that has the expertise that made it very easy to program. He also was someone on this FORUM that was looking for the software but couldn't find it until I supplied him with it. The same individuals on this FORUM that say you HAVE to hire a professional to be successful told him the SAME EXACT THING! They ridiculed him on this forum mercilessly about his capabilities. After I supplied him with the software, he was able to program his ST-1700C, and other products he purchased online, WITHIN 6 DAYS!!! He had all my equipment that I had purchased running a few days after that and sent me a written procedure to solve any problem that I might run into that he was aware of in the software. I still utilize that equipment but have not programmed any of it since January of 2011. Fortunately you may be able to contact him easier than myself as he was living in B.C. Canada at the time. You should be able to reach him at Andrew.hakman@gmail.com. That was the email address that we communicated to each other in January 2011. He is a very intelligent individual that is very helpful and accomadating if you have any problems. My last communication with him was in 2011 thanking him for his generous aid with my equipment and told him that it would "make my day" if he would spread his knowledge to all the other Crestron USERS THAT NEED SOME HELP TO BE ABLE TO USE THEIR EQUIPMENT THAT THEY PURCHASED ONLINE. I don't begrudge the professionals that want to protect their special training but for people that have purchased the older technology, that the professionals have turned away from, it seems very self-centered and egotistical to say that no-one else has the ability to understand how to operate the software. If you need any other info send me a personal message.
Canada'eh

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Crestron software for ST-1700C Reply with quote

[quote="donbar"]Hello Canada'eh, I know the feeling of frustration that you are going through. I was there until I found a couple of people that led me to the full software for Crestron's older products but the guy who told you that it isn't easy is somewhat correct. Without some help it has it's moments. BUT I found someone that has the expertise that made it very easy to program. He also was someone on this FORUM that was looking for the software but couldn't find it until I supplied him with it. The same individuals on this FORUM that say you HAVE to hire a professional to be successful told him the SAME EXACT THING! They ridiculed him on this forum mercilessly about his capabilities. After I supplied him with the software, he was able to program his ST-1700C, and other products he purchased online, WITHIN 6 DAYS!!! He had all my equipment that I had purchased running a few days after that and sent me a written procedure to solve any problem that I might run into that he was aware of in the software. I still utilize that equipment but have not programmed any of it since January of 2011. Fortunately you may be able to contact him easier than myself as he was living in B.C. Canada at the time. You should be able to reach him at Andrew.hakman@gmail.com. That was the email address that we communicated to each other in January 2011. He is a very intelligent individual that is very helpful and accomadating if you have any problems. My last communication with him was in 2011 thanking him for his generous aid with my equipment and told him that it would "make my day" if he would spread his knowledge to all the other Crestron USERS THAT NEED SOME HELP TO BE ABLE TO USE THEIR EQUIPMENT THAT THEY PURCHASED ONLINE. I don't begrudge the professionals that want to protect their special training but for people that have purchased the older technology, that the professionals have turned away from, it seems very self-centered and egotistical to say that no-one else has the ability to understand how to operate the software. If you need any other info send me a personal message.[/quote]

It's been a while since I've been part of a forums, forgot how much info can be shared... Wink

Thanks for the help.
I do have experience with crest' equipment. IMO, I think crest' has the best hardware design and operation system. It is robust, front and back compatible, and with some skilled programming you can make it do almost anything. I have been involved with almost every other auto system and the same cannot be said.

I think the big crest' downfall is their relentless push to maintain 100% control of who can buy and use the product. My opinion again, if they opened the doors I know there are a lot of people that would be happy to buy and a lot more that would be happy to "hobby" program.

Some of the best, dare I say - coolest, programs I have seen came from people that never had any crest' soft' training. My explanation for this is these guys have had countless hours to write, play with, and test the program.

You know what is very common amongst cert crest' programmers? (I include myself in this pool)... There is never enough time to make cool code. Why? Because the project is budgeted, the time is allotted, and the design is set... No more, no less, get in, get out. It's hard to be creative under that umbrella.

Crest cert programmers will always have work, I have no doubt. When someone pays 100,000+ $'s and up, they are not going to hire a hobby programer. But when that same guy wants to change out a media component or add a new switch location, that same programmer is always too expensive, has no time, or mentally unavailable.

There is my opinion- what's yours...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: