Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Unbelievable TT value
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Unbelievable TT value Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
based on my experiences, something like this is only cheap for the first few months until word gets out , but even now I still can't believe this is 180 bucks

http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might pick one up and put my Rega RB 300 arm on it.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I might pick one up and put my Rega RB 300 arm on it.

Nashou
nash based on what little I've read and heard you don't need ot put anything on it. Easily beats the the $450. Rega RP-1 with RB101 tonearm.
trying to decide whether to buy one, sell my P5, and put $800. back in the bank.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks pretty damn sweet. Super nice how they raised the capital online for doing that as well.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Yeah, looks pretty damn sweet. Super nice how they raised the capital online for doing that as well.

That online funding is what the new PONO music player is doing as well. A lossless digital music player
that will play FLAC and other lossless formats. Neil Young is backing it as are other artists.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT? Dragan I thought you were talking about Time Trial!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was replacing the Green Monster with an Audi...
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good price, compared to some TTs I've seen at big box stores. Though I can't say I would jump on one.... MDF plinth, plastics everywhere else.... forget that. Modern or not, I think I'll stick with my trusty vintage Pioneer TTs Cool

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
TT? Dragan I thought you were talking about Time Trial!
LOL, no but I did ride the TT bike Sunday to ease my sorrow after the Challenger drove off. Still really depressed about it

garyfritz wrote:
I thought he was replacing the Green Monster with an Audi...
That was my dream car from age 16, there's no replacing it with anything, not even a new Corvette much less some European techno-jelly bean.

Jeremy112 wrote:
Seems like a good price, compared to some TTs I've seen at big box stores. Though I can't say I would jump on one.... MDF plinth, plastics everywhere else.... forget that. Modern or not, I think I'll stick with my trusty vintage Pioneer TTs Cool

Read the Stereophile review, I trust those guys completely. I don't think I ever considered this for people as a replacement for a nice vintage deck either. It's really meant as an alternative for people who want ot get into vinyl and are presented with a choice (at this price point) of this bargain for $180. or a DJ Scratcher table like a Stanton or Denon.
lexx21

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be somewhat concerned about something like this. If you spend 179 on a turntable, well... you are going to get a $179 turntable. They mention nothing about what the plinth is made of, the type of damping that they use, the weight of the platter, the type of bearing, etc......

From their info provided on their site, you are about one step up from a Crosley as far as I can tell. You would be better off getting a Thorens from Ebay if you really want to get into vinyl because at least that is a good solid table.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexx21 wrote:
I would be somewhat concerned about something like this. If you spend 179 on a turntable, well... you are going to get a $179 turntable. They mention nothing about what the plinth is made of, the type of damping that they use, the weight of the platter, the type of bearing, etc...…

Not to be an ass, but did you spend more or less than 5 seconds looking at the page? Almost every single question you asked was right on the page dragan linked...

Quote:
The majority of our parts are sourced within the US. Our acrylic platters are turned in Ohio. Our plinths come from Minnesota, and our dustcovers from Maine. So when you buy an Orbit, you are supporting American manufacturing.

Quote:
The platter rides upon an inverted main bearing - providing superior stability and reduced bearing noise (rumble). In other words, all you hear is the music on your record.

Quote:
Machined MDF plinth

Sounds pretty damn good to me for $179 - especially given positive reviews.

lexx21 wrote:
From their info provided on their site, you are about one step up from a Crosley as far as I can tell. You would be better off getting a Thorens from Ebay if you really want to get into vinyl because at least that is a good solid table.

Let me be sure we're clear… You're calling this TT from U-Turn, with a solid acrylic platter, machined MDF plinth, inverted bearing, felt mat, a Grado or AT MM cartridge, all made in the US… That's one step up from a Crosley to you?

Yeah, the Thorens might be a good solid table. Or, because it's several decades old, used, and in a condition that can only be judged by some photos and somebody's description, it could also be a complete POS that needs a new cartridge, bearings, motor, or who knows what else?

I bought a decent Harman Kardon TT from a forum member here to play around with vinyl. Guess what? Bad connection somewhere between the cartridge and outputs. So, now I get to spend time I don't have troubleshooting a TT instead of playing around with vinyl. Totally defeated the whole point of buying a TT.

Dragan made it very clear that it's simple a good TT for the money, and that he's read that it performs well above its price point. I see no reason that can't be true. In fact, I'm tempted to get rid of the HK I bought and try one of these. At least I know it'll work and won't be yet another "project" like used stuff so often is.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy you really don't have the greatest luck when you buy used stuff, do you. Smile
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Boy you really don't have the greatest luck when you buy used stuff, do you. Smile

I'm probably about 3:1 good vs bad. I'm not sure my experience is really all that atypical, though. When you buy stuff that's three decades or more old, a lot of stuff just isn't going to be up to snuff. Caps leaky or dried out. Lubricants evaporated. Pots oxidized. Filth. Some of the stuff is easy to diagnose and correct, while other stuff isn't so easy. Almost no issue is a problem for guys like you and Curt to address, so older used stuff is much more valuable to you. For the rest of us, issues can be more problematic, so the value is different than it is for you.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

I'm probably about 3:1 good vs bad. I'm not sure my experience is really all that atypical, though. When you buy stuff that's three decades or more old, a lot of stuff just isn't going to be up to snuff. Caps leaky or dried out. Lubricants evaporated. Pots oxidized. Filth. Some of the stuff is easy to diagnose and correct, while other stuff isn't so easy. Almost no issue is a problem for guys like you and Curt to address, so older used stuff is much more valuable to you. For the rest of us, issues can be more problematic, so the value is different than it is for you.

SC

Yeah, couldn't agree more. Maybe, anymore when you find something used that you want, you can have it drop shipped to one of us and we can take care of any issues before you get it. Laughing
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a used Thorens off CL or e-bay at one time for $150., not any more. I see the better ones like the TD160 for up to $400. and like was said you still don't know what condition the bearings , capacitors, and such are in. You could have speed issues, rumble, god only knows. AAMOF, that's exactly what a happened to a friend of mine, bought a TD160 and cleaned it up really nice, oiled everything, added some dampening to the plinth. Gave it to his dad as a present, speed was all over the place and his old man gave it back to him.

I still think they're great for people who have the time, but no way I would get one now. The next step up from this $180. table is Rega RP-1 for $450. So if you consider that someone who is simply curious about vinyl could spring $180. but mention almost 3X times that much and no fricking way.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenco l75 is the tt to get, forget the thorens.

it needs a lot of work but you`ll get the best tt possible.
a great tt needs a great element (mm sucks) and those cost a lot of money.

lencoheaven.net

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

SC

I'd have to agree with you there. I was selling an old Sansui G-4700 on ebay about a year ago when a guy on there emailed me asking if I serviced vintage equipment and if so would I be willing to work on a receiver he bought. I've never taken a repair request from someone over ebay, but given that the guy was in the same city as me I figured why not.

He brought over a Yamaha CR2020 receiver that needed going through (and still does... we'll get to that in a bit). When he first came over he saw a Sansui G-8000 I had been working on, and asked several questions about it and the brand (as well as a million other questions about vintage gear).

The guy had a serious interest in vintage equipment but never really made the leap into getting any until around the time he saw my ad on ebay. He decided to purchase a Sansui-G7700 receiver because he liked the way the ones I had looked and for how they sounded.

He brought it over to have me service it right after receiving it from the seller on ebay. He was pretty excited about it as he thought he got a good deal (he paid around $200 shipped). The G-7700 can go anywhere from $400 to $800+ in working/restored or fully restored condition.

Sadly, after spending a few days in it, I quickly found out that it wasn't going to be just a simple clean/lube of the controls and a recap. Long story short, that $200 receiver wound up costing him $600 after my repair bill, but he got a $600 unit out of it in the end.

Through the whole 4 month long process he was up and down with his mood. It took many times explaining to him exactly what crabb said above just to get him to understand its not just as simple as buying it and enjoying "your new vintage gear". In the end he was very happy with it, which after a complete recapping, new resistors, transistors, diodes... you name it, a lot was replaced to bring it back up to spec.

Anyone that wants to get into vintage should be aware that you could wind up with a new old stock piece, or a unit that's good for parts. Pictures and descriptions will only go so far when it comes to purchasing this stuff. I do think that it's still an awesome hobby worth getting into. I sure love it Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
lenco l75 is the tt to get, forget the thorens.

it needs a lot of work but you`ll get the best tt possible.
a great tt needs a great element (mm sucks) and those cost a lot of money.

lencoheaven.net

Moving magnet sucks? One of the best cartridges I ever heard was an Ortofon 2M black for typical music listening. Of course you could always spend $5K on a moving coil if you really enjoy violins and pianos but it really comes down to what kind of music you listen to. I think to say "MM sucks" is a little over the top
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Drags, the Acutex M 315 III/STR cart is really nice and rivals my Blue Point Special EVO HO MC.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a really fine phono amp that matches your mc element you would agree, but most don`t have this.
mc is simply better than mm by design alone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: