Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What video filters do you use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: What video filters do you use? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was just wondering if anybody uses any filters that are built in to the software codecs. I am asking this because I see there is a moderate interest for the darbee darblet image enhacer which is a hardware and its price is not negligible. I am curious if anybody have experimented a filter combo that comes close in performance to the dabee, or simply use any filters? I was on the purist side (least intervention in the video stream), but I am also open to explore new ways, I just don't know is it worth the hassle, and where to start at all.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if its a "filter" because I'm not clear on the whole thing, really....but I do use the madVR version of MPC HC, its noticeably better image than most video renderers....

I also install the Shark Codec's in every Win7 install, they "just work" and allow me to play all file types using whatever player I want to use...
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is already more than nothing! I use mostly VLC player with k-lite codec pack, but interestingly also use the standard version of MPC-HC, as always popping up a file that that don't play well on either but ok with the other.
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used k-lite codec's, but the author of shark codec's doesn't have a very high opinion of them: http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

If you're using VLC to play stuff, you'll see a VAST improvement in image quality using JUST the Shark Codecs's, IMHO. VLC is a great program because it can play pretty much anything, but, for me anyway, it is a player of absolute last resort because the quality is so bad by comparison to my "normal" setup using WMP and Shark Codec's, or MPC HC madVR edition...
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am not a native english speaker I am often forced to use subtitles for movies, and in my experience VLC has better handling on the subtitle end than MPC-HC, however I found that VLC needs more hardware resources, with really high quality movies it has some trouble while the MPC doesn't, sure my htpc isn't cutting edge either...
Now, i have a big problem with MPC-HC, because I am running a retro nVidia 3D shutterglass rig, that is fixed with an old driver set, that don't have the 0-255 or 16-235 option for movies in its menu, so it sends out the movies in 16-235, which I don't like (obviously), and I couldn't find a way to set the correct levels with MPC while I was able to do this somehow in VLC.
Anyway I will check this shark codec, am curious about this.

Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark codecs uses something for sub titles that is *supposed* to be very good, I usually shut them off, but when I forget to, they always show up if available. There is the option to have separate sub files too, which I've used once or twice...

The thing I've noticed about Shark Codec's, is that it actually seems to do what it says, I have it installed on a computer with 4 or 5 other players, and they all work, Shark doesn't negatively impact any of those players...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the Shark codecs and got popups from it.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: