Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What Digital Is Similar To My CRT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just a follow up of my last post, it does look t be the lamp for your projector bulb housing after looking at your pics.

...Whats that broken plastic piece in your photo?? Was that from the factory brand new? Neutral

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is a PK-L2210U for an RS55. I looked up the bulb for my RS56: It uses a PK-L2312U according to the manual.

Here's one on Amazon for about $250 which is a pretty good price (I paid $440 through my dealer):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRRSZ2Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CRRSZ2Y&linkCode=as2&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad price at all for a complete genuine bulb in housing. Your lamp is still unavailable in bare form yet, the projector is too new. Razz On a good note, the PK-L2312U bulb is available on ebay in the jvc box new from iSoldIt for $175 buy it now.

I looked up your lamp, there wasn't much info at all on your lamp, all I was able to find was that it is rated for 4000 hours, and made specifically for JVC's 2013 model year projectors. The one I mentioned earlier is a 3000 hour 220w lamp, and although nearly identical, they are indeed different.

I think its safe to say it would take any new projector a couple of years before bare lamps become available at good prices. From the looks of it though, the price is already getting pretty decent via amazon, ebay, etc...

I haven't checked the specs, but the RS56 is 4K is it not? If so, I am truly jealous Wink

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I haven't checked the specs, but the RS56 is 4K is it not? If so, I am truly jealous Wink

Not native 4K panel, but pseudo 4K like many other JVCs where it uses panel shifting to smooth pixel edges to mimic 4K. You're still "only" getting 1920x1080 rez, but you can't see pixels with your nose up against the screen.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
That's not a bad price at all for a complete genuine bulb in housing. Your lamp is still unavailable in bare form yet, the projector is too new. Razz On a good note, the PK-L2312U bulb is available on ebay in the jvc box new from iSoldIt for $175 buy it now.

I looked up your lamp, there wasn't much info at all on your lamp, all I was able to find was that it is rated for 4000 hours, and made specifically for JVC's 2013 model year projectors. The one I mentioned earlier is a 3000 hour 220w lamp, and although nearly identical, they are indeed different.

I think its safe to say it would take any new projector a couple of years before bare lamps become available at good prices. From the looks of it though, the price is already getting pretty decent via amazon, ebay, etc...

Hey Jeremy, do you have a source for the bare bulbs for the old G11U series projectors?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

Hey Jeremy, do you have a source for the bare bulbs for the old G11U series projectors?

The G11U requires a 420W Xenon lamp. Do you happen to know the original manufacturer of the lamp? Ushio may be one of them too, but as far as I know they are a Sony only lamp.

In the case of the JVC G1xU Projectors since there aren't any lamps available to the masses, you would have to find an equivalent 420w xenon lamp and one that would physically fit into your lamp housing. From what I have seen, xenon lamps are extremely hard to come by, especially for older model projectors. (hence the high cost of the Sony Qualia, VW100, & Vw200 lamps)

Honestly AR, your JVC would be best suited for an LED modification. I've got a few projectors here that I can't get lamps for but would be well worth attempting an LED modification. For your JVC it would require removing the original lamp ballast, replacing it with a PSU for the LED lamp, using the old lamp housing you could retrofit the LED into the housing (with some creativity of course)

I've been looking into this heavily because LEDs are plenty bright enough these days, there are LED projectors out there, and it would be kind of fun and gratifying to find a better solution to lamps that can't be had.

Kal: That is still one nice machine hanging from your ceiling, pseudo 4k or not Very Happy

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Kal: That is still one nice machine hanging from your ceiling, pseudo 4k or not Very Happy

Thanks! I have to admit - I've been extremely happy with it. I watched Gravity last night and was really impressed with the depth and pop in a lot (most?) of the scenes. Lots of very bright things against a very dark backdrop. Inter-scene contrast ratio is absolutely fantastic compared to what I was used to with my LC CRT projector.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I watched Gravity last night and was really impressed with the depth and pop in a lot (most?) of the scenes. Lots of very bright things against a very dark backdrop. Inter-scene contrast ratio is absolutely fantastic compared to what I was used to with my LC CRT projector.

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and had the same reaction… "Damn, this projector looks really impressive with this space movie!"

It's funny… The only - absolutely only - time I ever notice the "digital black" is full-black segments, like before credits and such. If there's anything at all on the screen, the amazing ANSI contrast makes it look so awesome. With Gravity, it was like a piece of black paper with bright objects floating on top.

It's funny: In a couple of months, I'll have had my RS45 for two years. I could easily see myself having it for at least a couple more until 4k and this rumored new light source are available. That will be four years, which I think is longer than I had my G70. Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Diddern

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What Digital Is Similar To My CRT? Reply with quote

larryp wrote:
I have a Sony 1272 crt. Use it with a 100" 4:3 screen.
As it ages I'm not real happy with the brightness level anymore. I've had it for eons now & it's still a great picture, just not as bright as years ago.

I know nothing about bulb projectors--- Wondering what brand/models of bulb projectors would I look at to get the same quality of picture if I ever did replace it? I'm guessing a $1500 budget, something in that area.

Easy if you want the CRT quality's then in near dark scene and total shutdown and get everything better, even the deeper black, punch, intrasenecontrast, contrast, colours, debth, sharpness and so on. The absolute best buy for the buck in 2014 is a New JVCx500/RS49.
I have the VW1000 and the JVC X500, if money is an option a clear pick the JVC. Smile
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if some of these new led dlp's would look good on a smallish screen....

I remember there was one former crt'er who switched to one of these, and he was pretty jazzed about it.

Anyone see one yet?
Diddern

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
I'm wondering if some of these new led dlp's would look good on a smallish screen....

I remember there was one former crt'er who switched to one of these, and he was pretty jazzed about it.

Anyone see one yet?

I have many many times one ship and 3 ships system.
Brilliant lifetime.
Black level they forgot that hehe
Sad grey surface when side by side with a jvc or Sony
Motion like a 2014 jvc and Sony
Raster sharp but not sharper images.
I have seen tests of the new optoma 91
Brillinant PJ for pubs to watch football.. When screen is not to big.
So answer to you there.
3D good but to little light output.
Diddern

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For CRT owners to day then if they want to go digital.

I know now after long time with manny CRTs in my home cinema.
That the only thing that I was looking for was the absolute black.
And I still do.
I have done so many side by side tests to find what I likes best after my CRT
Here is a short version maybe it helps.

Sony PJ strong sides bright, sharp, brilliant blacks, fresh colours, debth wow. 4k. Versons do not see pixels, look fantastic in near dark cenes.
Refresh rate up to 96hz. On the vw1000 you get the CRT feeling when Turing black. Not on the low cost PJ from Sony.
Then a grey feeling. Not total black like CRT users say today.

JVC models extreamly high native on off contrast.
Deep deep black and in newer models like the x500/rs57 is wery close to the dark dark dark near black like CRT.
But you also get more. Sharp images, with eshift almost do not see pixels close to screen.
Less light than the Sonys. Also here fantastic clean colours. Refresh rate 72hz
Total shutdown to black like the Sony VW1000 when using autoiris 2 on the jvc.
No blackcrush😜
Definitely best pick for a CRT lover if he wants to change to digital in 2014.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: