Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Adding border to screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Adding border to screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm almost done getting the BOC onto the frame of my new screen and got to wondering how a velvetine border is applied or if it should be.

The finished screen size is 96x54 edge to edge. Without adding a wooden skirt around the edges, which is doable (attached to the backside of the frame) I don't think I'll be wanting to mask/border velvetine into the image area...am I correct? For 16:9 I'll want the whole 96x54.

My question I guess is do I need a velvetine border if the wall behind the screen is flat black?

Also, while we're in here...what are you all using for bias lighting? I'd like to install the lighting for the two most important reasons; to define the screen, to enhance CR. As an added bonus, for decorative appeal.

BTW...I picked up fabric stretching pliers...AWESOME tool for getting the BOC onto the frame. It would be nice if they locked like Vice Grips (my left wrist is killing me today) but for $17.00 ( Hobby Lobby) they produced uniform repeatable results.

I'm going to have to apply Behr UP white as stretching the material introduced a uniform gray, um, haze or hue we'll call it, to the overall image area. It must be the center material of the BOC and is white, but a lower gain as the unmolested BOC material when on the roll.
I'll be using Kal's procedure and recommended materials from the main page to paint it. I'm psyched to get it done. I'm even going to figure out a way to hang the pj. (I have another thread in the CRT forum about throw distance.)

TIA...again. Thumbs Up

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen vise grips with wide, flat jaws. Maybe Northern Tool, Harbor Freight or Tool King. Or could have been Sears.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply paw. I'm done stretching and attaching the BOC. The stretcher I bought will now go into the HT toolbox. It just would have been nice if it would have locked. In hindsight I could have started from the right and worked to the left to relieve the grip and switch hands thing I did but alas, the lesson was learned too late for something I may not do for a long long time...unless I take up painting and preping my own canvases. Rolling Eyes Yeah right. Laughing
I'm still wondering about the border part of my post tho.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not paint it for a border?

Draper uses a Sherman Williams paint called wrought iron flat black to touch up borders. The item # is 141-5082. Draper sprays it on.

I've seen the brand mentioned that Stewart uses but can't remember it. You could probably bug their tech support for the brand.

Look at the veletine? tape that Clarence used. It's in another thread in the screen forum.

I've seen few people doing bias lighting with FP. I have seen some rope lighting used for bias lighting. Though the color temp was wrong. There's a commerial bias light available. Here's a commerial bias light that's gotten good reviews

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

Though it maybe too small for FP.

Here's a link about bias lighting

http://www.hometheatermag.com/bootcamp/49/index.html

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Clarence's web site. Pretty good detail on a lot of his work.

http://crtforum.com/index.php

wallace

Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 40mm wide self adhesive black felt.

And an adjustable masking system as well.

I'm not so sure about bias lighting...
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great articles and even better feedback.

I'm seeing I didn't word what I was trying to say very well.

If my viewable area is already set by the physical size of the screen frame at 96x54, and that's the size I need for a well placed pj for 16:9, then I wouldn't be able to mask into that area and would have to add the mask outside the frame edges right?
I'm not sure that's any more concise but I don't know how else to word it.
Given the direction my initial plans have taken I think this is a moot point now but knowledge is knowledge.

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

Greg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: