Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony Qualia 004 - is it 1080i or 1080p?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Sony Qualia 004 - is it 1080i or 1080p? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Been thinking about getting one of these beasts, but everything I seem to find on the net says its a 1080i projector... yet it has native 1080p LCoS panels...

So is it 1080i or 1080p? If it is 1080i is there a mod or upgrade that can be done to make it 1080p?

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first generation didn't accept a 1080p signal as we know how, so Sony ended up marketing a $3500 upgrade kit in order to do so. Boy were some people PISSED. Very Happy

I would think/hope that everyone did the mod, but yep, the panel is 1080p.

You know the bulbs are still hellishly expensive, right?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
The first generation didn't accept a 1080p signal as we know how, so Sony ended up marketing a $3500 upgrade kit in order to do so. Boy were some people PISSED. Very Happy

I would think/hope that everyone did the mod, but yep, the panel is 1080p.

You know the bulbs are still hellishly expensive, right?

Yep, I do indeed (they cost about what a new 1080p projector can be had for these days!) But that isn't a concern for me. I'm just wondering if its worth me taking the risk of buying one and it not being able to accept a 1080p input, but possibly modifying it to do so. I guess that will depend on me Razz

And yeah, that is some BS with the 1080i/p upgrade, you would have thought sony would have just done the 1080p signal input since this was supposed to be their flagship projector, but it doesn't surprise me, sony is good for that Razz

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think they're about to do the same thing with the 4K projectors...Smile

Is the set local to you? If so, take a BR player with you, and an HDMI to DVI cable and go test it. Otherwise, maybe ask the seller if they can do it to make sure.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the upgrade was to allow the Qualia to accept a 1080p60 signal - it was capable of accepting a 1080p24sf signal from the start, and it was also released before the standards for 1080p were finalized. I'm not aware of any 1080p60 material out there, so 1080p24sf should be suitable for just about anything except for 1080p30, which doesn't seem that common. The only down side is that not a lot of sources can send 1080p24sf (the Lumagen VPs are an example of something that can).

The situation with the VW1000 is a bit different - UHD standards still haven't been finalized. HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 - both of which are required for consumer 4K - were just approved prior to the release of the VW1100. Everyone who bought a VW1000 knew exactly what they were and weren't getting, and in fact it seems all the VW1000 owners felt that Sony was taking care of them by offering them a $2500 (retail) upgrade vs. making them all buy VW1100's.

The fact that UHD standards have not been finalized is exactly what keeps me from jumping on a used VW1000 and upgrading it, buying a VW600, or buying any 4K display. If REC.2020 does become the standard for UHD, not a single 4K/UHD display currently available is going to comply with the gamut or bit depth requirements, so everyone will be SOL. But that's the price you pay for being an early adopter.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right. in 2004 or whenever it came out, I was doing 100 hours a week with CRT, so I wasn't paying much attention to digital stuff. I just remember hearing it over at the high end section of avs.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you went and did it. Here comes Mr. Sony 4k to tell you how wrong you are and how Sony will be compatible with anything that comes along for the next decade. Wink
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it would be nice if it could do 1080p/24 right from the get go, all I'm going to do is connect it do a video processor (most likely a new lumagen, since my VP30 is only 720p input capable and rather limited) and use it for blu rays and streaming content from my file server.

I've always wanted one of these, I know they aren't the best digital out there, especially compared to some of the newer JVC units, but I think its worthy of a screen still and good enough for me. my NEC XG will be moving out to the garage, and this will be the new projector in its place (seeing as physically they are almost the same size, I am ready for it Very Happy ).

I can't wait Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qualia is completely sub par, I wouldn't spend much on one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: