Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Watched a movie on a digital last night and...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I don't believe in moderating and I agree that me having changed this thread subject is a form of moderation so I've now put the subject back to "Watched a movie on a digital last night and... ".

The intent wasn't to moderate but to clarify, but obviously that didn't work out. Never meant to ruffle any feathers. Sorry guys.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Speaking of our own back yard, I can't speak for Kal, but if he's like me, he's sick and tired of the pervasive attitude around here that digital - any digital - is somehow inferior. It's especially maddening since much of that attitude is based on pure ignorance. I'm constantly amazed at how few people on this forum have seen anything besides their own setup and whatever what was set up at Best Buy or some other retail store. If Kal's like me, he probably doesn't have the same patience with some of the same stuff - I'm being nice - let's call it what it is - bull**** - coming up over and over.

You say you can't speak for me, but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. There's a lot of CRT elitism on this forum, based purely on ignorance.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I don't believe in moderating and I agree that me having changed this thread subject is a form of moderation so I've now put the subject back to "Watched a movie on a digital last night and... ".

The intent wasn't to moderate but to clarify, but obviously that didn't work out. Never meant to ruffle any feathers. Sorry guys.

Kal

I don't see anything wrong with adding the type of projector to the thread title. You didn't get rid of the OP's sentiment. It seems that those accusing crabb of whining are setting the bar for that endeavor Rolling Eyes

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with you guys, I must confess that there were some visitors recently that had a case of digital elitism.

I thought Kals title change was a good move, but I understand where it could upset some. I don't see this site being anywhere close to AVS.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
While I agree with you guys, I must confess that there were some visitors recently that had a case of digital elitism.

Fair enough. It goes both ways. I'm sure it's really no different than the chevy vs ford debates that probably go on ad nauseam in truck forums.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I did do one piece of moderating however - I've moved this thread to the Digital Projector forum as that's what the original post was clearly about (it was in the CRT projector forum).

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

I thought Kals title change was a good move, but I understand where it could upset some. I don't see this site being anywhere close to AVS.

It wasn't what he changed the tittle to that upset me but that it was changed at all. If it had profanity and wasn't in the OT forum then it be different.

Opinions are Opinions. I don't think the tittle meant to miss lead, it was an opinion.

Oh and it is not a case of ignorance on some people here Kal. I prefer CRT for now. I will switch some day but not now and I have seen the new JVC's, very very nice but still too grey for me Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll note that I didn't really post anything on this thread. Very Happy

I pretty much bailed on the digital vs CRT arguments a few years ago. It gets boring after a while, and you can't convince anyone arguing on the internet anyway.

Heck, some of my own perceptions and observations have changed in my own mind over the last 14 years since I joined avs. Here's some facts:

-seeing a single chip DLP at Cliff's place in Oct changed my mind about some of the single chip DLP digitals. I still saw rainbows, but did watch a whole movie to see if I would get headaches like I did at CES a few years back at the TI booth. I didn't. The pix was pretty damn good. I've always thought that the high end digitals look decent, ever since I saw a Qualia 004 close up and personal. That was 10 years ago. No, no CRT blacks, but pretty good.

-for the first time, I hung a freebie 55" Samsung Smart LED TV in my bedroom last week. I've never had a TV in my bedroom, ever, but the fact that it was a Smart TV and free made me do it. I watched a movie on it this past weekend via a BR player with a standard DVD on it. From a technical POV, I didn't like the pix. From a convenience point, it was great!

- Yes, a presentation projector will look like crap for HT use. Given a choice between a 'tiny' 32" picture or an 8' presentation projector, give me the presentation projector.

-As many have stated above, anything but an EM focusing projector now has been completely superceded by most digitals. Not to take away from the ES focusing projector people here, but yes, the pix is soft compared to digital. Heck, even a G90 is probably considered soft by most people if it's not properly set up. Still, I do believe that the cost per hour of a CRT is lower now than ever before, and even with the low price of digitals, CRT is still an option.. for the person that enjoys tweaking and doing the DIY thing. For most though, it's not practical.

-a lot of you may not realize it, but a full 50% of my business is now industrial, with planetariums, flight simulators, etc. I charge them more typically than I can an HT end user, because those people still make money off CRT projectors, ergo it makes sense for them to keep the CRTs running. With a $2 million + price tag to change a flight simulator from 7 Barco 909s to 7 digitals, it makes far more sense to send a PC board to me, or to send me a whole projector for retubing.

- any number of CRT models are showing signs of age. I've posted freely about NEC PG and PG+, the Sony 10XX series, analog Barcos, etc, yet there are still some people that use them. I'm always very upfront to people that email me about the 20+ year old sets, giving them the option to not buy CRT parts.

-to make up for the slowing CRT business (which was up in 2012 and 2013 over the previous 5 years though, go figure), I am heading back into sound installations. Right now it's probably 40 hours a week CRT, and 20 hours a week for sound stuff (yes, I typically work 60-80 hour weeks, back in 2000-2004 it was literally 100 hour workweeks). In 5 years, it's probably going to be 20 hours a week for CRT, and 40 hour workweeks for sound stuff.

-I haven't had a working personal HT system in 5 years. Things are hopeful that I'll have one running again by the end of this year...Very Happy

Anyone that knows me shouldn't find any of the above information surprising.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

You say you can't speak for me, but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. There's a lot of CRT elitism on this forum, based purely on ignorance.

Kal

I would say that statement is true to a certain degree. No point in wanting to kill anyone over it though. I mean it is a CRT forum. And they are very capable machine for the price when compared to a good digital but only a higher end unit. Ask yourself Kal, say you had plenty of room in your theater for a CRT and you had a CRT 9 inch with every upgrade and mod known, would you have swapped it out? Lets say its a G90 or Cine9. Its your turn to show us you are not being ignorant.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll respond to that, Lyon!

The Zenith 1200/Barco 808LC isn't the sharpest set in the world. When Kal got it off me back in... 2003-4?... it was literally factory B stock, and was worth about $6K USD or so. I think it had 500 hours on it? Still, between the Barco 808s chassis and the Panasonic tubes, and not the best lenses, a 9" set would run circles around it any day, even properly set up. At the time thougn, a new Zenith 1200 kicked the crap out of virtually any digital projector in the same price range. Remember that the Sony Qualia 004 that I talked about above was $27K USD/42K Canadian.

Of course, also at the time, 9" sets were far and few between, literally unobtanium at the time. I remember buying my first 9500 Ultras for $5K each, and flipped them for $11K each. I remember cringing spending that much sight unseen, both from an 'unknown' condition coming in, and whether the market would bear the $11K price tag, but I sold them within 3 days, and would have been able to sell another 10 had I had access to that many. That was 2004 I think? Times have a'changed!

Also, not speaking for Kal, but his 1200 wouldn't fit into his new HT. He posted about that in his build thread.

Oh, and as a final edit, you should also realize that probably 98% of customers of mine are either not forum members, nor do they read it unless they need technical information. I don't think I sold any of the 40 G90s I sold in the last 2 years to anyone here, at least not forum regulars... there's way more current CRT owners than anyone can possibly imagine. Every month I get an email from someone that has 'found' my site while googling, and there's still lots of people still running things like DWIN 700s and DWIN non HD Transcanners or line doublers. It amazes even me, still!

Last edited by Curt Palme on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

I would say that statement is true to a certain degree. No point in wanting to kill anyone over it though. I mean it is a CRT forum. And they are very capable machine for the price when compared to a good digital but only a higher end unit. Ask yourself Kal, say you had plenty of room in your theater for a CRT and you had a CRT 9 inch with every upgrade and mod known, would you have swapped it out? Lets say its a G90 or Cine9. Its your turn to show us you are not being ignorant.

If you didn't notice, you are in the "Digital Projectors" sub forum.

Your question seems loaded, i.e. if kal says that he'd still stick with his RS56, he's biased. I could be mis-reading that though.

SC
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Oh and it is not a case of ignorance on some people here Kal. I prefer CRT for now. I will switch some day but not now and I have seen the new JVC's, very very nice but still too grey for me Wink

Nashou

Just curious, what models do you mean by "new JVCs", and where did you see it/them?

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the RS 45 similar to Kal's and I think a RS 4910 or something? They looked sharp as hell but still not as dark as I like. and some motion resolution That I am very sensitive to, especially with sports. There is a high end Audio shop with an in house calibrator where i saw them. One other thing is , and maybe its just me but it looks fake. And I have repeated this many times, like you took flat card board cut outs and placed them at varying depths. So with regard to each other the objects have a sense of depth but the object itself is flat. I do not know how else to explain it, I see the same thing on new Flat panels, except for plasma. I like how plasma looks over LED , LCDF etc.

This of course is my own opinion and taste and yours may vary. it is what I see and How I see it. So telling me I am wrong is like telling me that I'm wrong for not liking eggplant.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're definitely right for not liking eggplant. Laughing
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
No, you're definitely right for not liking eggplant. Laughing

Thumbs Up

One Smart Dog!!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I think you just compared my projector to eggplant! Why, you sonofa... Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I'll respond to that, Lyon!

The Zenith 1200/Barco 808LC isn't the sharpest set in the world. When Kal got it off me back in... 2003-4?... it was literally factory B stock, and was worth about $6K USD or so. I think it had 500 hours on it? Still, between the Barco 808s chassis and the Panasonic tubes, and not the best lenses, a 9" set would run circles around it any day, even properly set up. At the time thougn, a new Zenith 1200 kicked the crap out of virtually any digital projector in the same price range. Remember that the Sony Qualia 004 that I talked about above was $27K USD/42K Canadian.

Of course, also at the time, 9" sets were far and few between, literally unobtanium at the time. I remember buying my first 9500 Ultras for $5K each, and flipped them for $11K each. I remember cringing spending that much sight unseen, both from an 'unknown' condition coming in, and whether the market would bear the $11K price tag, but I sold them within 3 days, and would have been able to sell another 10 had I had access to that many. That was 2004 I think? Times have a'changed!

Also, not speaking for Kal, but his 1200 wouldn't fit into his new HT. He posted about that in his build thread.

Oh, and as a final edit, you should also realize that probably 98% of customers of mine are either not forum members, nor do they read it unless they need technical information. I don't think I sold any of the 40 G90s I sold in the last 2 years to anyone here, at least not forum regulars... there's way more current CRT owners than anyone can possibly imagine. Every month I get an email from someone that has 'found' my site while googling, and there's still lots of people still running things like DWIN 700s and DWIN non HD Transcanners or line doublers. It amazes even me, still!

If Kal has less room, I agree...time for digital. And way back then....It was hard to find good PJ's...I searched over and over for an available 1200x unit like Kal had. I came back from Comdex years back wanting a 1200x ever since I saw it demoing for Da-lite. At that time I was very angry at what I was spending for LCD units for a company I was working for. LCD was very very expensive. They placed value on ease of use and portability and did not care about picture quality. Then DLP shows its face....gets as lot of hype....spent 4 grand on a unit for a conference room and decided to "PLAY". Put in some DVD's(just starting to overtake VHS) and was disappointed with pixel's showing to rainbowing, to color washing out. This unit from Sharp received high praise and all said look spectacular in a home theater environment. I coughed up a bull**** and swore from then on I would let my eyes be the judge. For years nothing still came close to that picture I saw at the show. I even posted a want ad years back on AVS with a willing to spend price of I think 2-3 grand. The response was "get in line" So...While waiting for a 1200x I stumbled on some clearing out equipment from my audio visual friends at the campus of BYU. He offered me a Runco -933 for 10 bucks. He said they were pulling all CRT's on campus and from church Temples. Snowballed from there and never found that illusive 1200x Thumbs Up Its amazing how you still get older equipment still going out of the door. But at the same time I think there is also a misconception out there as well in terms of value. last month I got a call form a guy wanting me to purchase his D-50. Said it only had 2,000 hours on it. He saw one on ebay listing for 7 grand and thought he would give me the great price discount of 5 grand. I told him not only will he never get more than 25 bucks for it, I said I have received better for less than 50.00 . Turns out his company gave it to him if he was willing to take it down. I never heard from him again till last week offering it to me for free for just picking it up and out of his tricky basement. I declined and told him to list it on craigslist. He's asking 500.00 now. He! You get that package yet? Was told went out on Wednesday.
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CRT elitism is well founded and deserved and I think digital projector elitism is ridiculous.

Twisted Evil

Without going into detail, this really boils down to the very long superiority legacy of CRT over digital and the simple fact that the only thing getting a good result from digital now or has ever meant was they guy had the means to throw down on the latest black box gadget that's easy to setup an use. And we CRT guys have had to endure many years of ignorant claims by the digital users when CRT simply crushed them, hands down. Have CRT guys made ignorant dismissals of digitals? For sure, count me as one of them!

This is the forum where all the hardcore dedicated CRT guys ended up, no matter that the digitals have gotten so good lately that even some of the diehard CRT advocates have converted. At least the ones who "just want to watch the movie." Gosh, how boring! Wink

I'm with Nash 100% on his "can't put my finger on it" comparison between CRT and digital. The latest digitals look "hyper-real" to me and curiously two-dimensional like Nash said. My wife and I had a couple stay with us during New Years. The husband sells high end A/V boardroom gear, so he obviously promotes a lot of boardroom digital projectors, but has seen his fair share of high end units. Even with my half-assed setup on my Ultra, he was really impressed with the image quality, and specifically observed that the image had a smooth, 3-D quality to it with really amazing depth of field.

Steve

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liken the CRT to a "Classic Muscle Car". Were they more expensive than regular sedans? Yes for the most part. When hot rodders bought one of those cars, did it stay stock? f*ck NO!! People modded the sh*t out of those things. From headers to highrise intakes to dual carbs. Those cars were fun and performance gain was great. It was fun to take something stock and make it just kick ass. Now we have the newer digital's in which I liken to a Honda Accord. Great car and capable of going a great amount of distances. You can maybe chip the computer, change the color, and even add seat covers and runs smooth. Eventually when the motor dies, so does the whole car and gets scrapped. The classic muscle car simply gets a new engine and upgraded wiring and a nice wash and wax every Saturday. When it's on the road, it stands out and acts like its dick has been with your mom. It's unique! You made it that way! The Accord becomes forgotten and has since been replaced by a new Accord or a Nissan and is once again just the same as everyone body else. And like the Accord, you did nothing really to help its performance because you are limited to the manufacturers technology and eventually not supported at all by any enthusiest.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect - lacking any definitive or useful comparative info, this discussion has now devolved into loose car analogies bolstered by penis commentary. Hell, even though it's an HT thread maybe now ron can participate, and ro_co can smack him down as usual.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: