Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Watched a movie on a digital last night and...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
gjaky wrote:
kal wrote:
Thread topics like this do a complete disservice to those considering digital, so I've gone ahead and changed the subject from:

Watched a movie on a digital last night and...

To:

My 5 year old 1024x768 business projector looks like crap

The original subject and post insinuate the following fallacy:

1. I watched a movie on my digital projector.
2. The picture looked like crap.
3. Therefore all digital projectors look like crap.

Kal

I thought Curt makes money out of CRT and not from those who considering digital Very Happy
If I would open a thread with a title: "Sony G90 looks like crap" which includes that all sony G90 looks like crap, and turns turns out I am unable to even dial in convergnece, would you change the title for me? Rolling Eyes

That is because Kal DOWNGRADED to a digital and cannot have his unit being lumped into this. Mr. Green

Just ribb'n ya Kal! Trust me guys....my paycheck relies on your digital upgrades. I am just saying my kids do not know the difference and love the projector. I do use it for various sports stuff but still mainly use my 8 year old panni plasma for most of that. I thought it was crap. But direct TV looks like crap on any projector. I am beginning to think they calibrate their signal for flat panels only.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Welcome to AVS Wink

Nashou

What has happened to that place? It is nothing but a bitch moan shop the last 3 years. Even the calibration technicians that were there are now gone and no longer posting.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

Just ribb'n ya Kal! Trust me guys....my paycheck relies on your digital upgrades.

Clearly your motivation to be here is counter to mine. BANNED!

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the funniest post in this thread:

kal wrote:
He's not one to make unequivocal statements like "CRT is better than digital".

l
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

kal wrote:

Why? I don't find Curt does this at all. He seems to understand that there are pros and cons of each technology and that blanket statements like this can't be made.

Or maybe I'm not following all his threads!

I do know I've seen him email customers sometimes that digital would better suite their needs (like when they want something superbright/superbig that CRT can't do).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

Just ribb'n ya Kal! Trust me guys....my paycheck relies on your digital upgrades.

Clearly your motivation to be here is counter to mine. BANNED!

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

HA HA....What is funny Curt....talking with the R&D guys the other day and one of them called me the company traitor to Moxtek because I choose legacy video equipment. They asked me when I am installing servers from 1995 and upgrading their flat panel widescreen monitors to CRT's...I then jokingly threatened to change all 9 conference room projectors to CRT's. Then one of them actually said buying one might be a good idea to compare black levels with a polarizer they are developing. I said mine is not for sale unless they wanted to exchange it with one of their test lcos models(VPL-VW1000 ES) in which I offered. Then one of them goes to your site via google, looked at your prices and threw me a middle finger. SO.....THX A LOT CURT!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

kal wrote:

Why? I don't find Curt does this at all. He seems to understand that there are pros and cons of each technology and that blanket statements like this can't be made.

Or maybe I'm not following all his threads!

I do know I've seen him email customers sometimes that digital would better suite their needs (like when they want something superbright/superbig that CRT can't do).

Kal

I will agree. He does not want to sell something to a customer that he knows would most likely return it. Curt does not strike me as that kind of person. He would be a bad car salesman!! Mr. Green
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I did not realize that everyone here agrees that digitals are only good for about 3 or 4 years and then they are junk. And it is not wise to buy a used one if it is 3 or so years old. My mistake.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer, this thread was almost becoming useful. I guess sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
I'm sorry. I did not realize that everyone here agrees that digitals are only good for about 3 or 4 years and then they are junk. And it is not wise to buy a used one if it is 3 or so years old. My mistake.

Hahaha!!! Laughing

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

That is because Kal DOWNGRADED to a digital and cannot have his unit being lumped into this. Mr. Green

Just ribb'n ya Kal! Trust me guys....my paycheck relies on your digital upgrades. I am just saying my kids do not know the difference and love the projector. I do use it for various sports stuff but still mainly use my 8 year old panni plasma for most of that. I thought it was crap. But direct TV looks like crap on any projector. I am beginning to think they calibrate their signal for flat panels only.

Well id say since Kal was sporting a Barco Cine 8 Onyx variant, stepping to digital wouldve been going up in the world.

Im abit confused here as to exactly what youre trying to say here... It appears you make money from digital display sales, yet at the same time, seem to have very limited knowledge on the operation of them.

So i guess another way i can put that for you is im looking for some sort of clarification on the above passage of text.

Thanks in advance Wink

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

Well id say since Kal was sporting a Barco Cine 8 Onyx variant, stepping to digital wouldve been going up in the world.

Im abit confused here as to exactly what youre trying to say here... It appears you make money from digital display sales, yet at the same time, seem to have very limited knowledge on the operation of them.

So i guess another way i can put that for you is im looking for some sort of clarification on the above passage of text.

Thanks in advance Wink

I never pay attention to the conference room equipment. They just need to do data presentation. I do not make any money off of any sales....we manufacture polarizers for many projector companies. If you watch any 3d movies at the theater with Real D, that is our stuff making that sh*t happen.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Are you now saying that digitals will last as long as CRTs? Shocked
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

Thanks in advance Wink

I never pay attention to the conference room equipment. They just need to do data presentation. I do not make any money off of any sales....we manufacture polarizers for many projector companies. If you watch any 3d movies at the theater with Real D, that is our stuff making that sh*t happen.

No i never do, i wouldnt waste my money on it. But i sort of figured you were in the projection industry somewhere, somehow.

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know.....I looked for years for an available onyx unit or 1200x. Seems to be really illusive!!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre not missing out on much now, an LC XG will slap it down no problem.

HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

We know you think it looks like crap and we agree - the question is do you know why it looks like crap, and why it's not indicative of any HT projector's performance (or at least one made in the last 4-ish years)? Smile

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

Ya know.....I looked for years for an available onyx unit or 1200x. Seems to be really illusive!!

Just get a JVC RS56. Wink Mine's considerably better in all regards than my previous 1200x. Everyone that's into HT that saw both at the same time agreed.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

Just get a JVC RS56. Wink Mine's considerably better in all regards than my previous 1200x. Everyone that's into HT that saw both at the same time agreed.

Kal

Now there's some great advice! Not that I'm biased or anything Smile

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

Are you now saying that digitals will last as long as CRTs? Shocked

Those were not my words. They were a reference to the words of the person that was being discussed. And you are welcome to ask him of CRT longevity. I did not inject my own opinion. Of course you are welcome to ask my opinion and you might be very surprised at my answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: