Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

what's so special about Laser Disc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Perhaps not, but people who sold their laserdiscs where absolute *******, fools and ******* according to the Carlifornication lady Wink

Last edited by winny on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winny wrote:
Perhaps not, but people who sold their laserdiscs where absolute *******, fools and *******.

Why would anybody be an absolute *******, or a fool for selling something? There are numerous legitimate reasons for getting rid of stuff, including a Laserdisc collection.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, perhaps everyone didn't watch the YouTube link earlier in the thread. I'll edit it. Sorry about that.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, got. I'd even watched that video, but it was like a month ago, and my memory is only good for a week or two. Maybe. Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big deal?

I have always felt that most LDs are PROBABLY CLOSER to the original theatrical releases of the films. What I mean is the the soundtracks are less likely to have been tampered with (original Dolby Surround tracks that have not been umphed up), the film stock is fresher, and imperfections are left in place. The best example of this for me was witnessing a comparison on a regular CRT television between a T2 DVD release versus the original LD release.

The result was striking. The DVD was sharper. Its colors were more saturated. Things seemed brighter and clearer. The LD won the battle though. While not nearly as sharp, the image was far closer to how I remember true film prints. The colors seemed more natural, warm, and the sound was on point.

Often times, I will prefer an original print source over a remastered one unless there is an uber compelling reason. Scratches, spots, errors, and cigarette burns are reminders of film's origins and imperfections.

Okay, so yeah there are definite limits to the originality argument. For example, a 2001: A Space Odyssey LD print CANNOT easily reproduce a 6-track 70MM soundtrack. Neither can it provide the kind of visual clarity as a BluRay or even a DVD source in most cases. LD carries all the flaws of the NTSC signal developed back in the 1950s. Then there is the whole frame rate issue (30fps versus a true 24fps). BUT, the format provides a cumulative experience that rests somewhere between the authentic and the physically tangible.

There is something strong to be said for the packaging and tangible quality of an LD. Way too often do I find new BluRay and DVD releases with absolute garbage cases. They feel flimsy, cheap, and rushed. Compare this to even an average LD which while huge has far more space for decoration, pictures, and even essays. After reading these snippets often on the back cover, my mind is even more drawn to the film at hand. Gatefold covers often reveal fantastic photos.

Box sets in particular tend to be incredible. I recently received the ALIEN box set as a gift. Thousands of photos, pieces of the script, clips - way too much stuff for the average fan! Criterion CAV editions are even better. They usually provide beyond what most modern releases offer (outside maybe new Criterion releasez) Very Happy
View user's photo album (21 photos)
LastSilmaril

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros: Oftentimes the only source for a given title, like a Criterion release of some obscure film. (We all know the 'Star Wars' situation; for a while, LD caps were the best way to watch the originals. See You_Too and dark_jedi's project at the originaltrilogy.com forums.) Has uncompressed PCM audio much of the time. Weighty, hefty, feels like it'll last.
Cons: The video smears a whole bunch much of the time thanks to liberally applied noise reduction during the infancy of that technology.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: