Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Upgrade to Radiance 2041 for a BG808

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Upgrade to Radiance 2041 for a BG808 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

I owned a Radiance which outputs 1080p72 with a Darbee behind it. I was wondering (with the trade-in offer) if it is worth it to upgrade to a Radiance 2041. I use the auto-calibration from Chromapure and saw that the 2041 has also an extended colour matrix (compared to the XD). But, my projector is a BG808 (upgraded with Eisemann's mods).
Thanks
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill say no.

4K blu ray is comming out next year, and the 2041 will not take 4K on the inputs, and i cant see any features in the new units we need if we already have a + unit.

So for sure there is a new model releasing the 20xx in near future.
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the CMS 5x5x5 upgraded to 9x9x9? Does it change anything for CRT owner? I have Chromapure auto-calibration.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Craig..

Ill say that you dont need other than maybe a bit of gray scale calibration,( corect the blue bump) after you have tweaked the CRT to do its best.

If you use the 125 point CMS you destroy some of whats great about CRT.

I use as little digital manipulation as posible to my video chain, and corect it as good as posible with the analog adjustments in the CRT.

So my Radiance is mostly just for framerate convertion to 72hz
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to re-affirm what others have said:

- CRTs have fairly linear (correct) colour at 100/75/50/24 saturation (within the gamut) so going from 125 to 729 point auto-cal is likely not going to give you any benefits. Take some readings in the gamut and see what sort of results you get. That'll let you know how much the extra points will help you.

- Your Barco 808 can't resolve 1080p (Greg may argue this with his mods) let alone 4K so buying a Radiance with 4K output is wasted. This is true for any CRT projector for that matter.

A new 4K in / 4K out Radiance is due out hopefully some time later this year, so even if you're thinking of the 2041/2042 as something for future use, I'd wait if you plan on using your Barco 808 for this year.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kal.
I can assure you that my BG808 + Greg's HDMI card gives a wonderful 1080p72 image Smile. Even Greg was not sure that 1080p at 72Hz would give a nice picture or even work.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Just to re-affirm what others have said:

- CRTs have fairly linear (correct) colour at 100/75/50/24 saturation (within the gamut) so going from 125 to 729 point auto-cal is likely not going to give you any benefits.

- Your Barco 808 can't resolve 1080p (Greg may argue this with his mods) let alone 4K so buying a Radiance with 4K output is wasted. This is true for any CRT projector for that matter.

A new 4K in / 4K out Radiance is due out hopefully some time later this year, so even if you're thinking of the 2041/2042 as something for future use, I'd wait if you plan on using your Barco 808 for this year.

Kal

One thing to note on 1080p 72Hz output on the new 20xx lumagens. The 202x will not do 1080p 72Hz. The 204x (4k output) will do 1080p 72Hz. So if you want to run speeds that were used for the XE and XS "PLUS" option, than you must buy the 204x Radiance units. The 204x can also do crazy high timings as required for 3D on CRT to reduce ghosting.

For what it's worth, the 2041 is the same price as an XS+ so you are getting the newer processor for the same price as the older PLUS processor (no change in price point for CRT users).

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corleone88 wrote:
What about the CMS 5x5x5 upgraded to 9x9x9? Does it change anything for CRT owner? I have Chromapure auto-calibration.

There is no benefit to more than six points on a CMS with CRT.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: