Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

just dug out my old HTPC, wow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: just dug out my old HTPC, wow Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
from 2003, Holy sh*t where did the time go : O. AMD athalon 1.92 Ghz CPU with 512mb RAM, (this was pretty cutting edge 10 years ago. Anyway, added a wireless card to it last night and it went pretty smoothly, so I'm actually typing this in my HT : O . Card reports signal strength as "excellent" ,well worth 20 bucks.

gonna try some netflix streaming just as soon as I battle my way thru 900 Microsoft updates and service packs LOL. I'm pretty sure I need to add another stick of Ram for a full Gig, Hopefully I can still find old DDR ram on the net.Actually, I have 2 open slots, should I cram in as much Ram as possible?

Anything else the PC folks here would recommend in addition to RAM for streaming purposes?

Last edited by draganm on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video card?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radeon 9600 in an AGP slot, member those ? : )
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDM'it! bulging caps on Mobo after only 10 years, that's pathetic. Mobo is Albatron KX400

you just HAD to make me look inside didn'tya? : )
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Radeon 9600 in an AGP slot, member those ? : )

I just found one of those yesterday ( 'least I think it's the 9600 with MP BNC mod on it ) I don't remember buying it. Laughing Some one here sold it to me.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
GDM'it! bulging caps on Mobo after only 10 years, that's pathetic. Mobo is Albatron KX400

you just HAD to make me look inside didn'tya? : )

Well according to your tag line you should be well equipped to fix it Very Happy

Now put some hot rod caps in there and see if the picture improves!

CRT.

HD done right!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Well according to your tag line you should be well equipped to fix it Very Happy
!
the problem is getting the f*cking board out, what a huge PITA . IT streams ok, Netflix so-called HD actually looks like old-school scaled up DVD, and I ordered +2Gb of ramm (mobo takes a max of 3) , but I'm having problems with the audio card. IT wasn't working so I looked and they had a patch for SP3 , no instructions.
I installed ito over the old driver, and windows recognized it but no sound. Unstalled the old driver and now it "says no device found". So I might have to start over. In the mean time windows keeps bombarding me with updates and security downloads for defender. All of a sudden I remember why I f*cking HATED the HTPC.
I have a feleling the HTPC's retrun is going to be temporary Thumbs Down

BTW, I actually remember that version of Dr. Who, he was alright, and so was the guy after him. Didn't care too much for the last one
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
!
the problem is getting the f*cking board out, what a huge PITA . IT streams ok, Netflix so-called HD actually looks like old-school scaled up DVD, and I ordered +2Gb of ramm (mobo takes a max of 3) , but I'm having problems with the audio card. IT wasn't working so I looked and they had a patch for SP3 , no instructions.
I installed ito over the old driver, and windows recognized it but no sound. Unstalled the old driver and now it "says no device found". So I might have to start over. In the mean time windows keeps bombarding me with updates and security downloads for defender. All of a sudden I remember why I f*cking HATED the HTPC.
I have a feleling the HTPC's retrun is going to be temporary Thumbs Down

BTW, I actually remember that version of Dr. Who, he was alright, and so was the guy after him. Didn't care too much for the last one

The avatar is in honor of the 50th anniversary of Dr. Who. November 23, 1963. Their first show was somewhat over shadowed by President Kenedys assassination the day before, so, the producer insisted they play episode 1, and 2 together the next weekend. It was a smash hit!

I did love Tom Baker but I'd have to say Jon Pertwee was my favorite Dr.

CRT.

HD done right!
nathan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got my SN45G shuttle box that was my first HTPC. The frame is crushed, so the case doesn't quite fit properly. I just leave it off and carry it around by the top inside frame strut. I'm on my 3rd Radeon AGP card in the thing and the fan on the latest is on it's way out. I think the battery is dying so I lose my BIOS settings and I can't quite make the CPU clock where it is supposed to, so it thinks is a 1700Mz. But it always starts up. I use it whenever I'm not sure if something is working and I need a second video source to plug in to some display.

Poor old thing deserves better.

edit: oh, and definitely a Tom Baker fan here. Kind of lost interest when the next blonde guy showed up. Haven't watched it since, although my sister is a huge fan of the current show.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so it was rough going at first and Netflix would automatically reduce my buffering speed to 256, forcing it higher would cause lots of Audio synch issues and stuttering.
I've added 2 gigs of 333Mghz Ram for 30 bucks and increased the AGP aperture in BIOS to the max setting of 256mgs, this allows the GPU to access system RAM directly for more memory, but still leaves me with only 512mgs total GPU memory = 256 on the Radeon 9600 and another 256 it can pull from the RAM.
Playback streaming is ALMOST perfect at 1024 x 768 which I think is best for my 8500. It will stutter a little, but mostly audio synch issues for the first 5 minutes, then plays perfectly for the remainder. I have a Barton 2600 2-Gig CPU so I think that's fine. Mobo is an Albatron KX400-8X , so the 8X AGP port should be able to process up to 2gbps video? ( I think), or at least 1 Gig per second

Any suggestions to squeeze a little more out of it? I know they made much better AGP cards before the format died. There's an AGP version Radeon 4650 on flea-bay for 100 bucks. Will this work with my Mobo? Good buy or waste of money?
I really don't want to spend 500+ bucks for new Mobo, CPU, new RAM, new GPU, etc. Sad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-ATI-Radeon-HD-4650-AGP-Video-Graphics-Card-1GB-GDDR2-/291033059494?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item43c2ec10a6
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For God's sake, why would you even consider building another HTPC just to watch Netflix!??!?

If all you're going to use the HTPC for is Netflix, a Roku or Apple TV could do it for $50-90, plus a lot more stuff that you might actually use: 1080p Rentals, first-run movies, Vimeo, flickr, and the list goes on… All stuff that just doesn't work as nicely on an HTPC unless you spend a lot of time configuring XBMC or something. Oh, and both come with a remote, HDMI, no drivers to break, no audio to get out of sync, no tearing, no system updates that break functionality. Just turn it on and watch. End of story.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
no drivers to break

Amen to that! If you really hate yourself, go for an ATI card and try to get that working with sound over HDMI under Linux.

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
For God's sake, why would you even consider building another HTPC just to watch Netflix!??!?
SC

I have no intention of building another HTPC, and my problem is
1) I don't have HDMI audio processing capability
2) don't want to spend 800 on a new Denon or Marantz that can drive my speakers
3) won't settle for a sh*tty little receiver that I will clip the amps on just to get HDMI audio
Currently using 5.1 channel analog output from my Panny BD player (had to get the slightly higher end model for that) and Coaxial digital audio from my HTPC which is at least multi-channel.

None of the little Vunder-boxes have any audio out besides HDMI or maybe stereo left/right channel if your lucky. So far I spent 50 bucks on RAM and a wireless card, I'm 95% of the way there, just have some audio synch issues in the first few minutes., plays perfectly after that. Surely getting over this last little hump doesn't require a degree in computer science?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
None of the little Vunder-boxes have any audio out besides HDMI or maybe stereo left/right channel if your lucky.

Didn't look too hard, did you? Wink

Apple TV has optical SPDIF.
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs/

A couple of the older Roku boxes, which are easy to find on ebay or Amazon also have optical out.

draganm wrote:
So far I spent 50 bucks on RAM and a wireless card, I'm 95% of the way there, just have some audio synch issues in the first few minutes., plays perfectly after that.

That $50 would have gotten you a used Roku, or a little over halfway to a spanky-new Apple TV that outputs full 1080p, AC-3 audio, Netflix, iTunes HD movies, Youtube, Vimeo, trailers, and a whole slew of other cool stuff.

Not trying to be an ass, but stop throwing good money after bad. Wink

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Oppo and be done with it drags. it has 2 HDMI ins as well do you can run your Sat/Cable box to it and gain its superior scaling and features. Also it has analog outs. it is a no brainer even for 500 bucks and I bet used it be even a better deal.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Features.aspx

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Get the Oppo and be done with it drags. it has 2 HDMI ins as well do you can run your Sat/Cable box to it and gain its superior scaling and features. Also it has analog outs. it is a no brainer even for 500 bucks and I bet used it be even a better deal.

Hmmm… I don't know. The Oppo is an awesome BD player, no doubt. OTOH, at $500 it damn well better be. The good things are that it's certainly a high-end player: The video quality is stellar, the feature set caters to us enthusiasts, and the company's support is outstanding… OTOH, there's the bad: It's $500. $500. For a Blu-ray player. The apps are few, and slow and clunky (and sometimes buggy) compared to a Roku or Apple TV. Oh, and the IP protocol is utterly useless for integration, so if you want third-party control with feedback, you have to use RS-232, which adds another $100 to the price! That's inexcusable for a player like this. Onkyo-Integra and Denon-Marantz totally understand this bit, but the company that caters to enthusiasts screws the pooch. <throws up hands in disbelief>

I guess I look at it like this: A decent 3D BD player is $150. An Apple TV is $100. The two together are $250, and in general offer an overall superior experience (other than geeky enthusiast stuff like dual-HDMI). Yeah, the PQ may be a few ticks down, but how many people will actually be able to tell the difference? If you want to get really advanced streaming and network playback, swap out the Apple TV for a Dune at $300, and you're in for $50 less than the Oppo, with two devices with more and better functionality, but perhaps a little behind on ultimate PQ and a couple of geeky features.

I guess I'm just a little annoyed. It's probably the one purchase I've made for my theater - at any price - that feels the most frivolous, and the least valuable. And I didn't even pay full price. Even the industry accommodation price is expensive.

Don't get me wrong… I really like the Oppo 103… I'm a fan, but damn… Just not that thrilled with the overall value for the money.

SC
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Didn't look too hard, did you? Wink
Apple TV has optical SPDIF.
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs/
A couple of the older Roku boxes, which are easy to find on ebay or Amazon also have optical out.
umm, ok, I screwed up . Just didn't even think to look at Apple Confused I guess that's my next move, for 100 bucks and perfect streaming it's a no brainer, as long as it's wireless and does Netflix (which it looks like it will).

ecrabb wrote:
draganm wrote:
So far I spent 50 bucks on RAM and a wireless card, I'm 95% of the way there, just have some audio synch issues in the first few minutes., plays perfectly after that.

That $50 would have gotten you a used Roku, or a little over halfway to a spanky-new Apple TV that outputs full 1080p, AC-3 audio, Netflix, iTunes HD movies, Youtube, Vimeo, trailers, and a whole slew of other cool stuff.
Not trying to be an ass, but stop throwing good money after bad. Wink

SC
I'm ok with the 50 bucks, but yeah throwing money at an old PC is stupid. I can always rotate the HTPC into our primary desktop PC duty after the old ones dies.

Nashou66 wrote:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Features.aspx

Nashou
We don't have cable, Embarassed just can't part with the $150. a month for basic cable + the HBO and AMC that I would really want it for . I think I'll get the Apple
thanks
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Apple TV, do I have to join a cult? Reply with quote

Tried to buy an Apple TV from Apple, had to create an account, err OK. Then it goes on to ask for all sorts of info that is none of their F-IN business, like my date of birth.
So I can buy the box from Target for a few bucks more. Do I still have to supply apple all that info and create and account in order to use the box?
Do I need auxiliary devices like an I-phone or I-pad to do basic streaming with the box?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason they were asking you for your DOB was to create your iTunes account. It is their business because they want to make sure you're not a kid, downloading inappropriate content. It's just your DOB - all kinds of websites ask for your DOB.

Yes, you can buy from Target or Best Buy and just take it home. Shouldn't cost any more than buying from Apple, either. Both should be right at $100.

I don't think you need an iTunes account to use the Apple TV if all you want to do is Netflix, YouTube, etc. I'm not 100% sure since I've always had an iTunes account, but I think your'e fine without. You just wouldn't be able to rent or purchase any content from iTunes, which IMHO would be missing out on some great functionality. With an iTunes account, you can rent and purchase movies, but you can also use Apple's free iTunes Radio service, which is like Pandora.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about giving Apple your CC and DOB info… They have an excellent record of security, and they've never sold or rented their database to third parties. They're sort of known in the industry for being extremely stringent with their customer info. They don't even give your info to a third-party developer when you buy the developer's app from the App Store - there was a big dustup about it when Apple introduced iBooks. Publishers wanted purchasers' identities so they could market and promote, and Apple said, 'Nuh uh - our customer, our store, our rules'. I'd trust Apple more than almost any other internet company.

No, you don't need any other devices to run the box. It comes with a very nice aluminum IR remote that most programmable remotes will Harmony or URC will emulate.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Apple just added four new apps (channels), too… Watch ABC, Crackle, Bloomberg, and KORTV (Korean?). Crackle is cool because it has Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - which is a blast.

Oh, and in my experience, the quality of the streaming video with iTunes downloads is far superior to what you get with satellite or cable. Noticeably, significantly, better than DirecTV for instance. I'm working on my wife and old man… I'm about ready to cut the cord. The major networks I can get OTA. The wife and I are news hounds, though. Politics, current events… We just like keeping up, and I get tired of surfing web sites… I like to work with TV sort of as 'background'… There are also a couple of TV shows we like, like Sons of Anarchy. If I could conveniently watch the news networks and a couple of other channels, I would drop DirecTV. So tired of spending $1000 a year on TV.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: