Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Berkline or Coaster?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Berkline or Coaster? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm getting ready to buy some seats for my basement and have been pretty much set on the Berkline 088s, as they will let me go four wide.

However I could get two rows of three Coasters for less than the four Berklines.

Has anyone here compared the Berks and Coasters? Are they of comparable quality and comfort?

I've sat in the Berks, but do not have any place to try out the Coasters.
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried Coasters, but one of the problems I am having (we are looking for seating as well) is the chairs ability to recline to a certain position and stay there. Some of the chairs we have looked at only have 3 reclining positions. None of the 3 are good with regards to comfortable and viewing positions.

At this point, we are pretty much going to have to go with seats that have infinite reclining positions (electric reclining). We would not buy a seat that we have not been able to sit in and really try it out. Also, we are asking about return policies which most places don't want to discuss, because once you buy something, there is no return policy!

wallace

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
Haven't tried Coasters, but one of the problems I am having (we are looking for seating as well) is the chairs ability to recline to a certain position and stay there. Some of the chairs we have looked at only have 3 reclining positions. None of the 3 are good with regards to comfortable and viewing positions.

At this point, we are pretty much going to have to go with seats that have infinite reclining positions (electric reclining). We would not buy a seat that we have not been able to sit in and really try it out. Also, we are asking about return policies which most places don't want to discuss, because once you buy something, there is no return policy!

wallace

Look @ these...

http://www.premierehts.com/index.cfm

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strongly leaning towards the power recline as well, which would eliminate the Coasters.

I'm really only considering them for the cost factor (six for less than the cost of four). But since I don't have a problem with the Berkline quotes I have, I will almost certainly go that way.
Bighitter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electric recline is great, as you can set the position at whatever you want. It also helps for bigger guys as I have had problems with my long legs pulling down none electric recline chairs.

I have 7 088 berklines in my theater, paid less than 5 grand and that was with the electric recline and leather.
Das444

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I went with Coasters. I bought them online. I went to as many HT centers as I could to compare the Berkline's and what ever else they had, but never could find Coasters. I took a chance and I've been happy with them since day one. Everyone compliments their looks and quality. I say, Go for it!
Dan
View user's photo album (6 photos)
paw

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading the accessories forum over at AVS, Berklines appear to be a little bit better quality. The Coasters seem to be a great bang for the buck.

I've sit in the Berkline 088s several times. A 1 - 2 hours each time. They were probably the previous version and not what's currently available. I didn't care for them. Reclined they bothered the backs of my knees. There was something about the just sitting upright I didn't like either. I can't remember. Though I tend to like firmer cushions. I'm 5' 9" and 165 lbs. I'd high recommend a test sit for you and your SO if at all possible.

OH! I see you're in CO. The folks that had the Berklines are Integrity Home Theater. Brad and John are the co-owners. Great guys! John's home/showroom is just North of Colorado Springs. They have open demos a few times a year. Plus their be willing to do a private one for you. However, I expect they'll be a CES next week and will need to catch up for a week or 2 after that. Their website is www.integrityhometheater.com. They do a newsletter but I haven't seen one lately.

Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sat in the Berklines over at the Great Indoors, over by Park Meadows and am fine with those.

I've not found anyplace to try the Coasters.

I've got the same impressions on the two brands.

I really only "need" four seats, so I'm pretty much set on the Berks now. Plus this lets me use at least one of the loveseats my wife bought for me awhile back in the second row. This keeps her from getting mad at me for not using something she bought for me Smile
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've decided on Berklines, talk to John or Brad. Roman (RSH) over on AVS also comes highly recommended for Berks. There's usually a semi annual AVS powerbuy on Berks. I think around Christmas then June/July. If you talk to Brad or John, tell them Aubrey said hi.
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've got quotes from both Roman (Ultimate Home Entertainment) and Serge (Home Theater Authority).

I was just waiting on a quote from a local place, but they could not come close to either of my other quotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: