Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Next up, A Hitachi Ultravision 60V500A........
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptkctc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
AnalogRocks wrote:
I run external cooling fans on most everything. To hell with what other people think, they don't own it or have to maintain it.

I robbed this fan out of one of my PC's, it has a chassis fan and an AMD fan mounted directly to the cpu heatsink (a 3.4 pentium 4 lol), and the one I robbed was at the other end of the shroud that covered the cpu and went to the back of the chassis. I figure the PC can manage without that fan for right now lol.

I cant hear all that good over the air purifiers, so the only thing I notice is the air movement in here is different now, and the stability of the display color is great. Its amazing that the fan made that much of a difference. I know if the lcd panels hadn't already been cooked, this is a non issue. I was only shooting on extending the lamp life with the extra cooling, I wasnt thinking it would effect the light engine side as its got its own circulation system, but that lamp must heat up the LE more than you would think. I am a believer now for sure. The fan will be left after I get the set repaired, so maybe with diligence and care, the sets will outlive the lamps in them instead of the opposite.

Id say I am going to properly mount it in the set in a day or so and leave it externally powered, so I can keep cooling the lamp/LE/chassis after powerdown beyond the stock fans cool-down period.
ptkctc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the 50v500, I have had it on pretty much non-stop since getting the air filters cleaned, and its doing great. The blue blob dissipated into the lower left corner, and after 2 days it went all the way off the screen.

There were times it tried to reappear, but it was always when the ambient room temp was above 78 degrees. I am convinced that the set is very tempermental about how hot it gets, and where it has already been taken past the point of no return, its at a crittical point where just a little bit more extreme heat soak would have cooked the blue lcd panel to where it always displayed a blue cloud/blob.

I am going to seal the mounting box that the LE sits on to the bottom of the set, and duct some external air directly to the LE intake. If I can find a good way to relocate the filter to an external spot, I am going to do that as well. I will need to do about 4-5 cuts into the 1/8" steel, so air can circulate to both chambers under it.

I hope this lowers the narrow temp threshold I have, with 78°+ being the max it wants. Every day the set seems more "robust" against the blue cloud (i eye the lower left constantly, and its nonexistant today as far as I can tell). Maybe if I can get more cool air into the LE and keep air filter clean, it wont need a new one. I understand why so many people had a color cloud appear shortly after a lamp swap, Id bet that the sets had never had the air filters cleaned, and after the new brighter and undoubtably hotter lamp is installed, it slowly cooked the LCD panels to crisps.

This 50v500 came with what looks like a brand new lamp installed, and the LE had been in since 2009 so Id bet thats what happened here. The lamp timer had exactly 2,999 hours on it when I turned it on, and the lifetime timer says approx. 34,600 hours (that sounds like alot to me but idk, this is the first set ive ever had with a lifetime counter).

I will do my best to document my ventilation adventure once i get to it. I was going to wait initally and do the most major mods to the 60v500a, but I may go ahead and apply them to the 50v500 to keep it in good condition (and avoid the $230 r&r!). I cant do the 60v500a until I get the LE redone anyways since my planned mods includes ducting outer air directly into the existing LE intake vent. Ill need it here in "as is to be installed" condition to do it accurately.

Time to either get some abs plastic, sheet metal, fiberglass.... Ill come up with something. Molded automotive hvac ductwork would work, with the right combo of angles I could make a sweet setup. It likely wont be that elaborate, but It will get the job done.

Btw I understand that even if I manage to stop the blue blob completely, I still have damaged color filters as evident earlier in the post. Whats bad is I see the effect, but I can live with it vs paying another $230 to fix just that. The blue blob is 110x worse than how the burned color filters effect the display. If only somebody, anybody, sold or refaced these little gorilla glass-looking color filters. I know ~somebody~ does, where does pts get their new color filters? If they would sell just those, imo more people would be able to keep these 3lcdrptvs alive, and it wouldnt put the repair industry out either. The filters and lcd panels still die when maintenance is neglected, and most people wouldnt or couldnt be able to get the lcd panel swapped w/o convergence errors. The color filters are super easy to swap imho, they all come out on one piece. I wouldn't even try swapping an lcd panel, and I have eyeballed a from-scratch convergence alignement on the crt 60ux58b I have just for fun (i never erased the ROM lol!). No way would I enjoy doing a complete teardown for every single adjustment needed.

I still have alot of patience, if I could get my hands on some of the old 35mm camera polarizer filter kits, Id be willing to experiment and see if the color filters in the LE could be subbed with one in the correct color. I dont even know if they were made of glass, I was just trying to think of a cheaper way to get color filters without paying for an entire LE.
chris2tall14

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a Hitachi Ultravision 60V500A it turns on works fine for about 3 or 4 mins then it powers over for about 10 sec then it kicks right back on and runs normal for another 3 to 4 mins then it turns off again it just keeps repeating this does anyone know whats wrong
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: