Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Mike Parker Super 03 VIM is...well, Super:-)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Nashou66 wrote:
I am pretty sure it is. The test guys at TV-one tested up to 1080p@85 hz and it did that with a breeze but because the display was only capable of that resolution maximum they could not be 100% sure how high it can go. But Robert Drake the lead engineer feels it can go higher. I have run 800p@120 from the RGBV;s and it looked good there but that was with the stock VIM. Adjusting Scott's peaking circuit made it much clearer .

Athanasios

Cant you put your scope on it, and check.?
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I am pretty sure it is. The test guys at TV-one tested up to 1080p@85 hz and it did that with a breeze but because the display was only capable of that resolution maximum they could not be 100% sure how high it can go. But Robert Drake the lead engineer feels it can go higher. I have run 800p@120 from the RGBV;s and it looked good there but that was with the stock VIM. Adjusting Scott's peaking circuit made it much clearer .

Athanasios

Ok, that sounds good enough for me.

maybe I should just do up a set of neck boards (when they get here) and send you the 02 VIM I made the changes to, that allows me to go up to 263mhz. Than we'll only need to do the neck boards.

I would love to see 1080P /96hz. I like 1080P /72hz because when properly resolved, 72hz bring out more depth.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

Cant you put your scope on it, and check.?

Good point.

You can use a multi-burst pattern for the easiest scope test.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder why the Barco 909 fanboys have been so quiet in this thread.. Maybe they will get back when the Barco 2Ghz bandwidth boards are instaled Cool
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:

I would love to see 1080P /96hz. I like 1080P /72hz because when properly resolved, 72hz bring out more depth.

Ok Mike.. if you will help make it happen, ill start looking for a VP that will keep up.. Wink
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can. I'll have to set up the resolution and store it in the unit. It can have resolutions stored or deleted in its memory bank.

I had issues with it automatically choosing the resolution it wasn't suppose to choose when the splash screens from the BD player or dish box came up( they are lower resolutions sometimes). So I only kept the 4 I need. I can load up the default list or I can adjust it from the front display panel. but that is a bit tricky.

I just used TV-ones resolution editor and its showing the 1920x1080@96 as a 289.780MHz pixel clock!!! I am not sure it can do that high .

At 72 hz it come up at 211.79 I guess it depends on Front porches etc .

At 85hz it comes in at 253.4 MHz

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I guess I can. I'll have to set up the resolution and store it in the unit. It can have resolutions stored or deleted in its memory bank.

I had issues with it automatically choosing the resolution it wasn't suppose to choose when the splash screens from the BD player or dish box came up( they are lower resolutions sometimes). So I only kept the 4 I need. I can load up the default list or I can adjust it from the front display panel. but that is a bit tricky.

I just used TV-ones resolution editor and its showing the 1920x1080@96 as a 289.780MHz pixel clock!!! I am not sure it can do that high .

At 72 hz it come up at 211.79 I guess it depends on Front porches etc .

At 85hz it comes in at 253.4 MHz

Athanasios

I would think something like 2400x1125x 96hz would do. around 260 Mhz or less if we can beat that ringing.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt use this resolution editor from TV one. It sets the timings for the res you create. no way is that pixel clock rate you showing
is correct for 2400x1125 unless those are not the Actual Pixels and they are the Total Pixels.

http://tvone.CRMdesk.com/image.aspx?mode=file&id=385

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Kurt use this resolution editor from TV one. It sets the timings for the res you create. no way is that pixel clock rate you showing
is correct for 2400x1125 unless those are not the Actual Pixels and they are the Total Pixels.

http://tvone.CRMdesk.com/image.aspx?mode=file&id=385

Nashou

Sure they are the total pixels.. Thats what we need to know the pixel clock. / bandwidth

Dont the TV one have a timing setting like the radiance.?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way the TV-one works is you use that program to upload the settings then you look at the results. there is no Onscreen menu at all. So its a tedious process. but you can create a whole bunch of possible resolutions store them in the unit then just switch between them.

Use that editor to see the true pixel clock. many calculators are not accurate. the TV -one engineers told me this program is the best
for a truer not understated clock rate.

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wonder how these resolution calculators all work. It seams they all differ?

And it be interesting what the rest of the timing numbers are in some of these pattern generators.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sende a email to Jim at Lumagen to get the max bandwidth of the new 2041/2042 4K machines, and if there is any framerate limits to 1920x1080P resolutions.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be obvious to many but it's crucial that the raster is shifted on the tube face to minimize the ringing, even then you'll need significant adjustment of timings (i.e. big HTOT) to completely remove raster ringing from the image and this eats up a lot of bandwith. That's one of the many reasons why Mike's VNB's are so critical as you really need as much headroom as possible to compensate for the porch adjustment.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
This may be obvious to many but it's crucial that the raster is shifted on the tube face to minimize the ringing, even then you'll need significant adjustment of timings (i.e. big HTOT) to completely remove raster ringing from the image and this eats up a lot of bandwith. That's one of the many reasons why Mike's VNB's are so critical as you really need as much headroom as possible to compensate for the porch adjustment.

Even if we dident need the high Htot, we still need the high bandwidth to resolve 1080P.. I have not seen any standard CRT projector resolving 1920x1080P 60hz, and with this we can resolve 72hz with a biig H tot, maybe even 96hz.. its just amasing.

It pushes the performance of the old Marquee machines up where we never been before.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used CIR's clock calculator and I arrived at the following:

1080p/48: 139.3 HTOT 2565 VTOT 1134
800p/72: 147.3 HTOT 2330 VTOT 880
1080p/60: 174.17
1080p/72: 209.04

I used the same HTOT for 1080p/60 and 1080p/72 which is an approximation based off my 1080p/48 settings. I use a lower HTOT when I run 1080/60 but there is a slight trace of ringing in the image so I'm assuming that to run 1080p/60 with no ringing will require a higher bandwith than the HDQ is capable of. My HDQ will not pass 1080p/72.

As I said, you really need the higher BW to have a shot a resolving 1080p/72 and not have raster ringing. Personally, I'm not willing to live with ringing or banding. These two distractions need to be eliminated to really be drawn into the image. You will also need a Video Processor that can handle a clock rate of 200 to handle the timings of ring free 1080p/72.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
I just used CIR's clock calculator and I arrived at the following:

1080p/48: 139.3 HTOT 2565 VTOT 1134
800p/72: 147.3 HTOT 2330 VTOT 880
1080p/60: 174.17
1080p/72: 209.04

I used the same HTOT for 1080p/60 and 1080p/72 which is an approximation based off my 1080p/48 settings. I use a lower HTOT when I run 1080/60 but there is a slight trace of ringing in the image so I'm assuming that to run 1080p/60 with no ringing will require a higher bandwith than the HDQ is capable of. My HDQ will not pass 1080p/72.

As I said, you really need the higher BW to have a shot a resolving 1080p/72 and not have raster ringing. Personally, I'm not willing to live with ringing or banding. These two distractions need to be eliminated to really be drawn into the image. You will also need a Video Processor that can handle a clock rate of 200 to handle the timings of ring free 1080p/72.

Thats right.. There is no way around the Radiance if running 72hz full 16:9, and if the new radiance can do 96hz. maybe a new door will open.

Justin how is your signal.? DVI or RGBHV out of the HDQ.? and whats the max pixel clock on yours before it give up.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVI out from HDQ (use HDMI adapters). I can't remember for sure (would have to look back through exchanges with Jim) but 165 sticks in my head as the max pix clock.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
DVI out from HDQ (use HDMI adapters). I can't remember for sure (would have to look back through exchanges with Jim) but 165 sticks in my head as the max pix clock.

Sounds right.. mine give up at 168Mhz

The max promised pixel clock is around 149Mhz
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got news from Jim ( Lumagen)

(The 2041 and 2042 can output up to 4k24 and 4k30, and both use a 297 MHz pixel clock. The maximum 1920x1080 output rate is 75 Hertz.)

So that will not help us testing 1080P 96hz
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini cable upgrade I would say is very important. But understand that I had upgraded from a cheap cable i was temporarily using. Changed out to the Commscope cable and things greatly improve.

If I had the mini RCA connectors I would provide the cables with the boards. But can't seen to find them, or remember which size tip out of the two different sizes for the mini RCA's

As I've mentioned before, the shielding or ground of the wiring is the most import thing needed. This same make and model cable was listed on Ebay yesterday for cheap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: