Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I hate DTV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: I hate DTV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So this just showed up in my email from DTV:

Quote:
We're always looking for ways to maximize your convenience, so we've enrolled you in paperless billing. Your next bill statement will be delivered straight to your inbox at --------------. You can of course choose to cancel your enrollment at any time, but we think you'll love the simplicity and convenience of paperless billing.

WTF. Is it even legal for DTV to just decide on their own that I am going to stop getting paper bills? So now I have auto pay because it gives me a $10 a month credit and on top of that I will never see an actual bill. Smart strategy on their part; I don't ever see a bill or pay a bill so I don't even think what this is costing me and I won't notice when they raise the price.

So I go to the DTV web page to "cancel my enrollment" in paperless billing and guess what... the button to cancel paperless billing on their web page is broken and there is no way to actually cancel paperless billing! So now I get to deal with the highly inconvenient system to send them an email through their web page telling them that I am pissed and that I want my paper bills back. Next they won't answer that so I'll wind up having to call them on the phone.

Once football is over this year DTV is out and I am going back to DISH. DISH is cheaper, has equal picture quality, and I never had a billing or other issue. I have had innumerable billing and other issues with DTV over the last 14 months since I started their service. I have been told so many lies I just won't tolerate it anymore. I had DTV in the past and gave them up back then due to similar unethical practices.

Rant over,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

Man, I'm honestly surprised that you're so unhappy with DirecTV. DirecTV pretty consistently beats Dish on customer satisfaction if you look at the third parties like JD Power and not at the satellite companies themselves.

Everybody is pushing paperless billing. It's horrendously expensive to send out paper bills nowadays. Practically every one of my credit cards, I have to say "no thanks" every time I go to login on the web. Second of all, no won't "never see a bill", because DTV sends you an email right to your inbox every month the day they bill you.

I've gone paperless billing on all my non-tax-related stuff, and I'm the better off for it. The mouton of paper is just that much smaller.

If you really want paper bills, then call them and ask. I've always had very good luck with their phone customer service. If you wine about price increases (industry standard), they'll usually give you a premium or two, or comp you for HD for six months. I've been a customer for over ten years, and I've never seen anything that I'd consider deceptive our out of line compared to standard industry practice for wireless/cable/sat/telco. In fact, of all the services I've paid for over the years, I'd say DirecTV probably sucked the least of all.

There's no doubt it's expensive, but then they all are. Cable is even more. From my research, Dish was negligibly less expensive, but it was because you were getting less. The hardware always used to be crap on Dish and DirecTV was excellent. I think now they're pretty comparable.

What are all these lies you've been told? I don't think I've ever been lied to about anything in ten years.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCREW DTV ! They are liars and thieves.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
SCREW DTV ! They are liars and thieves.

How so? Can you explain the good third-party customer satisfaction ratings?

Look, I don't love DirecTV any more than any other big company that I've done business with... CenturyLink (Qwest), AT&T, Sprint, and others come to mind... Same sh*t. In fact, hey don't strike me as bad at all... Certainly no worse than any of their competitors - and from what I can tell, better.

So, why the ire? Liars and thieves? Really. Question

SC
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALLY ! DTV tried to extort money from me years ago. There was a electronic part billed to my credit card that DTV claimed had a secondary use of hacking satellite signals. They wanted several thousand dollars or said they would put me in federal prison. SERIOUSLY! I told them to go f*ck themselves. It was ugly for awhile. They are extortionists. I know you wont believe this but its true.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I don't believe you as much as it's impossible to believe. How the hell could DirecTV have any access to information about what you've purchased on your credit card?

The only two ways that DirecTV could have gained access to information regarding your purchase from a third party, would both be by court order. They would have to subpoena either your credit card company, naming you (highly unlikely), or a vendor's records (highly likely).

I actually have a little first-hand knowledge in this area. DirecTV was having a lot of trouble with signal theft in the late-90's, and they were aggressively going after the vendors of hardware used to program the access cards. An acquaintance of mine was in the business of selling illicit DirecTV cards.

This acquaintance of mine got in trouble in exactly the way I previously described. He was buying cards, card readers, extenders, etc. It wasn't what he was buying that was the problem; it was who we bought them from. When the source got raided by the feds, his contact info was in the seller's database, and he got the unfriendly contact, too. It's been a long time, but my recollection is that he admitted to no wrongdoing and was able to settle for a smaller amount than what they asked. He got off easy, IMHO.

What "electronic parts" could you have possible purchased, and from whom, that would have put you in their crosshairs? DirecTV's legal attacks were very targeted, only at vendors who were in the business of selling specifically access card equipment, and marketing it as such, so I don't see how you could have possibly been caught in the crossfire. You'll have to excuse me and understand the whole thing sounds very shady from here.

SC
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Hi Craig,

Man, I'm honestly surprised that you're so unhappy with DirecTV. DirecTV pretty consistently beats Dish on customer satisfaction if you look at the third parties like JD Power and not at the satellite companies themselves.

Everybody is pushing paperless billing. It's horrendously expensive to send out paper bills nowadays. Practically every one of my credit cards, I have to say "no thanks" every time I go to login on the web. Second of all, no won't "never see a bill", because DTV sends you an email right to your inbox every month the day they bill you.

I've gone paperless billing on all my non-tax-related stuff, and I'm the better off for it. The mouton of paper is just that much smaller.

Firstly, I was in a terrible mood last night and I really just wanted to vent. DTV was the last crappy thing that happened to me yesterday and it put me over the top. I can't wait until the read the email I sent them... I did refrain from using profanity, but man I was blunt.

The thing that upset me is not that DTV offered to switch me to paperless, it's that they simply decided to switch me to paperless without my consent. I understand that every company is trying to go to paperless billing, and I also have to decline paperless billing on all my CCs and everything else practically every time I go to a web page to see anything. The difference is that ALL other parties that I get billed from ASK if I would like to switch to paperless. Never have I had another company simply make the decision for me.

I have had innumerable issues with DTV overcharging me. I have spent tons of time on the phone with them over the past six months to have these overages corrected. I require a paper bill to be mailed to me so that I can review the bill and write discrepancies directly on the paper it's printed. If I don't get a paper bill I won't be motivated to double check their billing and things will slide. If DTV had been better at making sure they didn't overcharge me for stuff in the past I would have switched to paperless, but they have been terrible.

ecrabb wrote:
If you really want paper bills, then call them and ask. I've always had very good luck with their phone customer service. If you wine about price increases (industry standard), they'll usually give you a premium or two, or comp you for HD for six months. I've been a customer for over ten years, and I've never seen anything that I'd consider deceptive our out of line compared to standard industry practice for wireless/cable/sat/telco. In fact, of all the services I've paid for over the years, I'd say DirecTV probably sucked the least of all.

Right, but now I have to call them and I really don't see why I should have to. They are wasting more of my time as they have done in the past. I shouldn't have to call them, I should still just be getting bills in the mail as I have been all the time I have had DTV.

ecrabb wrote:
There's no doubt it's expensive, but then they all are. Cable is even more. From my research, Dish was negligibly less expensive, but it was because you were getting less. The hardware always used to be crap on Dish and DirecTV was excellent. I think now they're pretty comparable.

DISH was literally less than half the price of what I am paying now for DTV. I do get more junk with DTV that I don't watch and the only reason I switched was for the NFL package. I have had problems with both DTV and DISH hardware. I have actually had more issues with the DTV hardware including programs freezing, DVR events not being recorded, and recorded programming stopping and cutting out part way through viewing. I had two HR34's and now I have an HR44. They have gotten better, but as before, last night South Park didn't record even though it is in my series to be recorded.

ecrabb wrote:
What are all these lies you've been told? I don't think I've ever been lied to about anything in ten years.

Cheers,
SC

I could fill a book with the BS I have been given and I really don't want to type it all. The two worst offenses were that:

1) I bought my DTV contract through DTV directly over the phone. The rep told me that I was paying $100 for a special and that I would OWN my HR34. When my HR34 was having issues they informed me that I do not own my unit and that it would not be covered under warranty. I had to pay to have a tech come out and bring me a new one. I bitched and moaned and they did give me a credit, but I had to pry hard and it still didn't cover what the DVR is worth on eBay should I decide to leave DTV and sell it.

2) After three house calls to fix freezing programming and hours on the phone DTV promised me the NFL package again for free a second year. I was then called back five hours later to be told that I was not going to get the NFL package at no charge again after they promised it to me just earlier that day. I won't elaborate with the amount of time I spent on the phone but I had decided I was going to tell them to pull the plug that day because I was over it. Finally DTV called back and decided they would honor their original promise to give me NFL again. However, if I hadn't been such a squeaky wheel I would not have gotten it. I have been polite with them every time I have been on the phone with them and I really don't like to be the squeaky wheel. I'm tired of having to call them for special treatment when the special treatment has always been what they originally promised anyway.

Their model of only honoring complaining customers is not one that I want to be a part of. I have many other examples that I would elaborate on if we were talking in person, but I just am not willing to type so much.

I know others have complained about DISH, but I never had any billing issues EVER for the six years I had them. I never had to contact them because everything was always fine.

But whatever, it's just TV and to each his own.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!

Last edited by CIR Engineering on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought something called a V board from a company in Canada for a friend. The only credit card he had was American Express and they didn't accept that card. I don't know what all happened and what is was all about. I was told by my attorney that I had nothing to worry about as it was DTV basically running an extortion scam. Believe it or not I don't care, I know the truth.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Craig, get away from DTV. And don't be surprised when the send you a bill saying you own them. You're going o have to pay for something, they just ain't gonna let you leave without saying you own them for something.

They're the worse of them all. The way they do business will have you thinking you're dealing with the mafia.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you guys: Do any of you like your current satellite, cable, wireless, or telco provider?

It's an honest question, and I'd like to hear the answers. I'll wait to give my answer.

SC
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dish and it could be better but its still the best value out there. No equipment issues at all and customer service is great.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Question for you guys: Do any of you like your current satellite, cable, wireless, or telco provider?

I'm perfectly happy with my TV/satellite provider. Very cheap. I ain't got one. Mr. Green

I get internet and phone from the local cable company. Not 100% delighted with them, but overall they're pretty good.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

It's an honest question, and I'd like to hear the answers. I'll wait to give my answer.

SC

I am honestly happy with my ATT internet, my Verizon cell service, and I was happy with DISH.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
Yes Craig, get away from DTV. And don't be surprised when the send you a bill saying you own them. You're going o have to pay for something, they just ain't gonna let you leave without saying you own them for something.

They're the worse of them all. The way they do business will have you thinking you're dealing with the mafia.

Well if I leave now they will stick me with an early termination fee. But I will stay with DTV through football season because I already have the NFL package so I might as well use it. I'll have a few more months on my contract after football is over so I will probably cancel after the contact is up.

I may not even go back to DISH, I might just use the antenna and be happy enough with that.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Craig I have been using OTA and only miss Sunday Ticket, some USA, FX and AMC programs. The other stuff is filler meaning stuff I watch because I am to lazy to do other things. In other words, I don't miss it much.

I don't hate DTV, but they did charge me once for their f#$k up. Someone hacked my account and started activating a bunch of recievers while I was online with them. I seriously asked the rep why I would need 10 receivers in Philly when I lived in Miami. They still charged me like $30 for some movies that were rented before they deactivated the boxes.

As for who I like, Comcast internet has been great in SoFL. I am using ATT right now and it is pretty good. When I move into my new place, I will probably go with Comcast and their BLast Plus package. You get 50Mbps and 45 cable channels for $79 a month. The internet alone is $62.

I have already detailed my issues with Sprint cell and will be trying out ATT in the next couple of days.
bruce741

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTV tried to extort money from me years ago.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce741 wrote:
DTV tried to extort money from me years ago.

How, exactly? Just curious.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: