Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OPPO 103D thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ecrabb
Forum Moderator



Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 15909
Location: Utah

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Welcome to the world of home theater without drivers, driver updates, reboots, installs, etc. Laughing

Cool! I've been really impressed with my 103. It's a little expensive IMHO, but it's definitely a good piece of gear.

Cheers,
SC
Back to top
View user's photo album (10 photos)
thewolfman




Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 1309
Location: Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Are you saying that bnc and pc is lees good than this?

Do you plan on using Darbee at all times? Does it even remotely make the image look digitized and weird?

Anyway, I'm thinking about a new graphics card, the new GTX970, in order to see if my image gets any better, but mostly because my receiver wont handshake with my f*cking pc and current card GT430.

Or getting ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe for a soundcard and see if it works then. Or get both and just be done with it.
Back to top
stridsvognen
Guest








PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Enjoy.. And for reference quality Blu Ray, use HDMI 2 out, 4:2:2 1080P 60hz.

Also let me know what you think about streaming Netflix on that player, using HDMI 2 out.
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Are you saying that bnc and pc is lees good than this?

Do you plan on using Darbee at all times? Does it even remotely make the image look digitized and weird?

Anyway, I'm thinking about a new graphics card, the new GTX970, in order to see if my image gets any better, but mostly because my receiver wont handshake with my f*cking pc and current card GT430.

Or getting ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe for a soundcard and see if it works then. Or get both and just be done with it.
BNC is a connector type, so im going to guess you mean RGB. I dont know, i havent compared the new machine to the PC, but i didnt buy it to be better, i bought it because not all my sources are capable of analog output!!
_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Enjoy.. And for reference quality Blu Ray, use HDMI 2 out, 4:2:2 1080P 60hz.

Also let me know what you think about streaming Netflix on that player, using HDMI 2 out.

This is Australia, the internet in this country is WAYYYY too bloody slow for netflix.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
stridsvognen
Guest








PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Enjoy.. And for reference quality Blu Ray, use HDMI 2 out, 4:2:2 1080P 60hz.

Also let me know what you think about streaming Netflix on that player, using HDMI 2 out.

This is Australia, the internet in this country is WAYYYY too bloody slow for netflix.


Ohh sorry to hear, if possible try it anyway.

What do you think about DVD upscaling ?
Back to top
thewolfman




Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 1309
Location: Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Are you saying that bnc and pc is lees good than this?

Do you plan on using Darbee at all times? Does it even remotely make the image look digitized and weird?

Anyway, I'm thinking about a new graphics card, the new GTX970, in order to see if my image gets any better, but mostly because my receiver wont handshake with my f*cking pc and current card GT430.

Or getting ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe for a soundcard and see if it works then. Or get both and just be done with it.
BNC is a connector type, so im going to guess you mean RGB. I dont know, i havent compared the new machine to the PC, but i didnt buy it to be better, i bought it because not all my sources are capable of analog output!!


Yeah, RGB is what I meant.

Oh and I had a look on Youtube after someone with the Xonar card, and sure enough there's one with it, so I'm going to get that one first before doing any changes with the graphics card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiHH4R4Q-Y8

But not without exception...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh4M0aPzDQk

I would like to hear more about your thoughts on Darbee as time go by.
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Welcome to the world of home theater without drivers, driver updates, reboots, installs, etc. Laughing

Cool! I've been really impressed with my 103. It's a little expensive IMHO, but it's definitely a good piece of gear.

Cheers,
SC

You know, i havent restarted my computer in around 7-8 weeks now, its been running pretty much 100% since i built it a few months back, havent touched drivers in way beyond 3 months, installed Windows 7 Pro on it once, installed Power DVD 13 ULTRA, installed AnyDVD HD, and it was all just that simple.... Really, it was. Its still extremely fast, without any issues. The only time i ever had or have problems is when i try to do something that is not meant to be done, or i try doing something for free that usually would cost some money. I bought Power DVD 13 ULTRA before you ask Wink

The stuffing around i was refering to is with the outgoing Panasonic, as well as the two Pioneers it replaced, are all a pain in the arse for DVDs, they want to force 50Hz, no way to prevent that, which is what made the PC so damn easy, throw in the disc and its away!!

I bought the OPPO because i liked everything i read about them, so far im not dissapoint at all, its expectional in every way. Its pricey yes, but i dont really care about that, even the box is well made!!

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Are you saying that bnc and pc is lees good than this?

Do you plan on using Darbee at all times? Does it even remotely make the image look digitized and weird?

Anyway, I'm thinking about a new graphics card, the new GTX970, in order to see if my image gets any better, but mostly because my receiver wont handshake with my f*cking pc and current card GT430.

Or getting ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe for a soundcard and see if it works then. Or get both and just be done with it.
BNC is a connector type, so im going to guess you mean RGB. I dont know, i havent compared the new machine to the PC, but i didnt buy it to be better, i bought it because not all my sources are capable of analog output!!


Yeah, RGB is what I meant.

Oh and I had a look on Youtube after someone with the Xonar card, and sure enough there's one with it, so I'm going to get that one first before doing any changes with the graphics card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiHH4R4Q-Y8

But not without exception...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh4M0aPzDQk

I would like to hear more about your thoughts on Darbee as time go by.

Internet is too slow here to watch Youtube ( thats actually true, im not making that up )

I do have a XONAR, its not the HDMI version though, i wouldnt bother with that, almost every video card now has HDMI audio and ive never had a problem with it.

The XONAR i have is the PCI-E card with the 7.1 analog outputs, which works very well if you use AnyDVD HD to make it possible to push HD out over analog.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
thewolfman




Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 1309
Location: Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Are you saying that bnc and pc is lees good than this?

Do you plan on using Darbee at all times? Does it even remotely make the image look digitized and weird?

Anyway, I'm thinking about a new graphics card, the new GTX970, in order to see if my image gets any better, but mostly because my receiver wont handshake with my f*cking pc and current card GT430.

Or getting ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe for a soundcard and see if it works then. Or get both and just be done with it.
BNC is a connector type, so im going to guess you mean RGB. I dont know, i havent compared the new machine to the PC, but i didnt buy it to be better, i bought it because not all my sources are capable of analog output!!


Yeah, RGB is what I meant.

Oh and I had a look on Youtube after someone with the Xonar card, and sure enough there's one with it, so I'm going to get that one first before doing any changes with the graphics card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiHH4R4Q-Y8

But not without exception...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh4M0aPzDQk

I would like to hear more about your thoughts on Darbee as time go by.

Internet is too slow here to watch Youtube ( thats actually true, im not making that up )

I do have a XONAR, its not the HDMI version though, i wouldnt bother with that, almost every video card now has HDMI audio and ive never had a problem with it.

The XONAR i have is the PCI-E card with the 7.1 analog outputs, which works very well if you use AnyDVD HD to make it possible to push HD out over analog.


Back when I had 10mb line Youtube would stutter very often to and had to get 100mb to make it work.

Anyway, good to know. But I to have HDMI 1.4 output on my card, but as soon as I connect it to the receiver the pc half freezes and only the courser can be moved.. but I can't access anything and do something about it. So, I guess I'm getting the GTX970 after all.. at least I will get 4K with that move and can shop for a better monitor later on.
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea why it would do that, install video drivers again and tick the box saying perform clean install.

Ok, Kurt i missed your post last night sorry mate!! I will get to that now.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
My 103D AU arrived today, and i must say im very impressed with it in every single respect, the Darbee seems to make it a shade better between about 20-30%, and i can finally watch 50Hz DVDs at 1920x1080p 60Hz without stuffing around....


Enjoy.. And for reference quality Blu Ray, use HDMI 2 out, 4:2:2 1080P 60hz.

Also let me know what you think about streaming Netflix on that player, using HDMI 2 out.

This is Australia, the internet in this country is WAYYYY too bloody slow for netflix.


Ohh sorry to hear, if possible try it anyway.

What do you think about DVD upscaling ?

I will press the Netflix button later on and see how it goes Wink i have a 21Mbps 3G connection here with a pretty big 11dB dirrection antenna pointing dirrectly at the tower 2.3klms away, get mostly full strength, but the tower is getting very congested apparently, so im now lucky to get 10kbps... Which is about ISDN speeds from the 90s...

The DVD scaling sure is alot better than the Panasonic and miles better than the Pioneer, but not even close to that of the PC using Power DVD 13 ULTRA, where DVD looks very very much like its twice the resolution...

When using my XG, i have another Panasonic Bluray player on that, but i run it in auto mode so it will switch to 576p for DVDs rather than scale them to 1080i, the Barco has a problem filling the width of the screen with standard 576p timings, where as the XG does not.

I have HDMI hooked up to my Harman/Kardon AVR, and is set to output audio only. The AVR is still in play as a switcher for a few other sources, it's HDMI output goes into the rear input on the OPPO to take advatage of the Darbee.

One thing i have noticed when i tried using my WiiU via the front HDMI input the audio was out of sync, the game pad also has speakers that in some cases output the same audio, so it was very obvious.

Another thing i have noticed is that putting on 3D mode seemed to actually work with the MOOME V3 box, but i dont know yet if it will activate the emitter via the output on the MOOME, it has never worked with any other player before. Not sure which HDMI port is which for direct in 3D without a Radiance though.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
stridsvognen
Guest








PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About dvd upscaling,Can you explain the difference more specifik in details, like what Movie, where to look, if its deinterlacing or other artifacts softness sharpness croma or what it dont do right.

And please just use hdmi2 out direct to a reference display, as hdmi1 and the darbee Will mess up the signal.
Unless you run pure direct.
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Darbee.

With DVD played on the PC, the image quality is significantly better. Its not quite bluray quality, but certainly better than DVD standard, and when upscaled by the OPPO, its good, but I found it a bit more grainy compared to the PC.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, it took me four goes to completely download this page before time out occurred and it all stopped, refreshing gets me a bit more each time. F*** the internet in this country, most 3rd world countries have better internet than this....

Ok, back to the OPPO, I cant get it to put out 3D on the V3 MOOME external box, doesn't seem to event want to try.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
ecrabb
Forum Moderator



Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 15909
Location: Utah

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010


PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the fact the you're in the middle of nowhere have something to do with it, Case? In the US, it's not uncommon at all to have 50-100Mbps (or better) service in metro areas, while many in vast swaths of rural countryside have no access to broadband at all, relegated to good old dial-up or at best, line-of-site wireless like you're using, or perhaps satellite.

SC
Back to top
View user's photo album (10 photos)
stridsvognen
Guest








PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
I like the Darbee.

With DVD played on the PC, the image quality is significantly better. Its not quite bluray quality, but certainly better than DVD standard, and when upscaled by the OPPO, its good, but I found it a bit more grainy compared to the PC.


Im thinking that there must be something wrong in your blu ray, DVD chain if its grainy, I have not been able to detect a single deinterlacing error, and i find that the image is much more dynamic and punchy than other deinterlacer/ scaler solutions i play with, it makes the Lumagen ashame.

Ill take a wild guess and say that the grainy stuff might be noise addet somewhere, or the dvd quality Its extremely picky about the quality of the material, like bad source material, bad image.

Most scalers and deinterlacers i have seen is much more soft and flat, like it trows away information and dynamic range in the process.

Hope you got the S&M blu ray with your player, its a nice test disc, and you will be able to see how your croma comes true to the display, and detect croma or luma ringings or miss alignments.

What display are you testing on.? And what DVD titles, then ill see if i have the same.
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the Spears and Munsil disc today.

Im watching a bluray on it now and its exceptional, much better than the Panasonic was.

I tested two DVDs just to see if it would output at 60Hz instead of 50Hz, which it did. First was Bullet Proof Monk, second was The War Wagon.

I might put The Wizard of Oz on after this.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
CasetheCorvetteman




Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 6319
Location: Australia


PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what it says on Netflix:



I put The Wizard of Oz on and it was much smoother than the other two discs, considerably nicer.

_________________
Barco CineMAX, 120" OZ Theatre Majestic 16:9 screen, H/K AVR 7.1...

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Back to top
stridsvognen
Guest








PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad you cant use the Netflix there, its truly one of the great features of this player.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum