Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OPPO 103D thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
stridsvognen wrote:

Cant coment on the Panasonic player, never had one, but i like the 103D

I had a few Panasonic BD players - They wound up in a twisted bent heap of scrap being thrown out the door because they just weren't fixable. There is no excuse to why 5 identical new blu ray players should all not read discs.

Note that I said new. I will never buy a Panasonic optical device ever again because of that.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Been playing with my new OPPO 103D for some time now.

Its a nice player, and its the best Netflix streamer i have seen to date, and i tested a few DVD discs, and it looks good.

I have found a few problems, 1 is that it sometimes changes color space to RGB, even i have set it to output 4:2:2.

It can be corrected setting it to RGB in the menu, and then back to 4:2:2.

The other thing is that there is a croma error/ roleoff on HDMI 1 out, HDMI 2 looks perfect to me, im quite sure this can all be fixed with a firmware, as it will make a perfect croma multiburst out of HDMI1 setting it to 4:4:4

OPPO reply.

We can confirm the reported screenshot with our own system, it only happens with YCbCr422 color space via HDMI 1 on BDP-103D and 105D, no problem with other Color Spaces as well as HDMI 2 Output.

The root cause is from the ESHD block (Edge Smoothing in High Definition) inside the Silicon Image 9616 video processor: it has a “forced” chroma up-sampling with low pass filter (LPF), which causes the loss of Chroma amplitude. There is no way to disable this LPF unless the block is bypassed (e.g., set the BDP-103D/105D in “Source Direct” mode).
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

Cant coment on the Panasonic player, never had one, but i like the 103D

I had a few Panasonic BD players - They wound up in a twisted bent heap of scrap being thrown out the door because they just weren't fixable. There is no excuse to why 5 identical new blu ray players should all not read discs.

Note that I said new. I will never buy a Panasonic optical device ever again because of that.

I have NEVER had a Panasonic fail on me. I had their very first model DVD player, bought it when it was first released in early 1998, still going strong. Ive still got it, as well as the Hong Kong model as well, basically identical but champane silver instead of black and has Karaoke on it, still made in Japan, with the Class AA+ Technics audio.

The fact you said new and you didnt get a warranty makes me wonder why 5 would be DOA, and yet no replacement under warranty. Its a little unusual to say the least!

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blu ray players were in a large pallet of customer returned items from Best Buy. They were indeed new, warrantied already to those who originally purchased them. I never mentioned warranty, but that doesn't matter. NEW equipment should NOT be DOA right out of its box. The mere fact that out of all the blu ray players I received in that load, the Panasonics, and a few sonys were the only DOA ones. Hell, even the cheap ass insignias and Dynex players worked fine...

There is something to be said when a low end company uses higher quality lasers than a well known company such as Panasonic...

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customer returned... What does that tell you? It tells me seconds, and not brand new at all.

As i said, cant agree with your assumption on their quality, i mustve had 30 or more Panasonic disc players of various sorts come past my hands in the past 20 years, and never a single one had even a minor issue. I cant even say i know anyone that had one fail.

I think youre being a little unreasonable comparing customer returned items sold to you as seconds with actual new stock.

The fact you failed to mention warranty DOES matter, because if they were under warranty no one in their right mind would ignore that, let alone ignore it five times. So i would have to guess they either were not under warranty due to being seconds, or you opened them and voided the factory warranty. Either way its no fault of Panasonic.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He bought a pallet of returns. He intended to fix them. He found there were a lot of Panasonic returns (worrisome in itself) and the Panasonics weren't fixable.

I think his point is very valid. Large numbers of DOA customer returns indicates a severe quality problem. The fact that he was unable to fix them -- and apparently he fixed quite a few others -- suggests very questionable design.

I don't doubt your good past experience with Panasonics, but you shouldn't dismiss his either. It's very possible a once-good brand has switched over to cheap Chinese crap, like many others.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be a idea to make a thread about the Panasonics players.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Customer returned... What does that tell you? It tells me seconds, and not brand new at all.

I don't care if the customer took it home from the store, plugged it in, saw it didn't work, put it in the box and returned it. The fact remains its still a NEW unit that was defective from the factory... That is a low standard of quality from any stand point.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact you failed to mention warranty DOES matter, because if they were under warranty no one in their right mind would ignore that, let alone ignore it five times.

These are all best buy returns. I buy pallets of their returned merchandise all the time. I can assure you they do ignore it, they don't care. They get reimbursed from Panny or whoever the defective item was manufactured from, and best buy ditches the stuff for pennies at auctions just to get rid of it. Unless there is an alarming failure rate that is rather easily noticeable, best buy wouldn't do anything different. They just don't care.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
He bought a pallet of returns. He intended to fix them. He found there were a lot of Panasonic returns (worrisome in itself) and the Panasonics weren't fixable.

I think his point is very valid. Large numbers of DOA customer returns indicates a severe quality problem. The fact that he was unable to fix them -- and apparently he fixed quite a few others -- suggests very questionable design.

I don't doubt your good past experience with Panasonics, but you shouldn't dismiss his either. It's very possible a once-good brand has switched over to cheap Chinese crap, like many others.

Gary you are absolutely correct. I have actually had a good success rate at repairing Sony, Samsung, and even some cheapo brand disc players. Panasonic had a serious flaw in a few of their models when I had received those pallets, I wouldn't even chance another Panasonic lot again.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Maybe it would be a idea to make a thread about the Panasonics players.

Strids, I apologize for taking over your thread. I would agree but I wouldn't mind burying the hatchet with those things right here.

I just don't take someones word for how good something is because they've never had an issue with the brand themselves. That does not apply to everyone. And that itself, applies to all electronics, even those in the upper echelon of equipment. (though anyone with super high/high end equipment will probably tell you the failure rate on it is rather minimal to zero... but that's what you pay those thousands of dollars for Wink )

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Have no illusion here Gary, im not dismissing anything, and im not even saying his point may not be valid in his eyes.

What i am doing is seeing this for what it is, and that is seconds. They may very well be cheap junk now and probably are, but he took a punt on repairing faulty equipment and it didnt pay off. It doesnt suggest to me its a questionable design, it suggests to me there was a fault he was unable to locate.

The fact he could repair many other easily is irrelevant, some faults are easier to correct than others.

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Have no illusion here Gary, im not dismissing anything, and im not even saying his point may not be valid in his eyes.

What i am doing is seeing this for what it is, and that is seconds. They may very well be cheap junk now and probably are, but he took a punt on repairing faulty equipment and it didnt pay off. It doesnt suggest to me its a questionable design, it suggests to me there was a fault he was unable to locate.

The fact he could repair many other easily is irrelevant, some faults are easier to correct than others.

I have no problems repairing laser diodes on blu ray, DVD, CD... any optical drive. They are basic. Its a simple laser diode. When the laser diode itself under the lens is faulty it can't be repaired, and when a new one costs MORE than the player when I tried to order the parts, it makes it not worth repairing, such is the way many cheap electronics go. I know what I'm doing, and I think its a bit rude for you to assume that I don't, because you are obviously biased to a specific brand that I tore apart on this thread.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a lot of store returns also like jermey. Of course I am more choosey, lol. I only buy the higher quality stuff but I also pay a lot more for them. But the fact remains that if you are seeing more of a particular brand and/or model in the return piles then there is something to it, regardless as to whether someone is able to repair them or not.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you guys think about the OPPO 103D ??????
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

I have no problems repairing laser diodes on blu ray, DVD, CD... any optical drive. They are basic. Its a simple laser diode. When the laser diode itself under the lens is faulty it can't be repaired, and when a new one costs MORE than the player when I tried to order the parts, it makes it not worth repairing, such is the way many cheap electronics go. I know what I'm doing, and I think its a bit rude for you to assume that I don't, because you are obviously biased to a specific brand that I tore apart on this thread.

At what point did i assume that? I have little doubt you do know what youre doing or you wouldnt be investing such time and money into repairing seconds. I think you read too much into what i say.

Why would i be biased to any brand? I generally buy what i see to be the best at the time, and when i bought my last two, the Panasonic model i bought was the clear winner.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
I buy a lot of store returns also like jermey. Of course I am more choosey, lol. I only buy the higher quality stuff but I also pay a lot more for them. But the fact remains that if you are seeing more of a particular brand and/or model in the return piles then there is something to it, regardless as to whether someone is able to repair them or not.

Well he said five, personally i wouldnt say thats piles of them Laughing

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

Not sure yet, ill let you know when mine arrives. But im still waiting to hear which version you reckon i should buy, the Darbee or non Darbee. When you tell me your opinion and why, i will make the purchase, and we can indeed continue Wink

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

Not sure yet, ill let you know when mine arrives. But im still waiting to hear which version you reckon i should buy, the Darbee or non Darbee. When you tell me your opinion and why, i will make the purchase, and we can indeed continue Wink

I only had the 103 visiting for a very short time, and thought it was a nice player.

I still think that the old OPPO 83 is the best blu ray player, if you only look at its ability to output pure Blu Ray quality.

It will do so in whatever colorspace you select, i never seen any issues, and its reference image.

The 103D i think do just as good if the right HDMI output, and right colorspace is selected.

It has some Croma issues on HDMI 1 if not running pure direct, and i see ringing on the croma zone pattern using the 4:4:4 colorspace out on both HDMI 1 and 2.

At the moment it has a problem if you input 480P into its HDMI inputs, the image is shifted to the side.

When it comes to streaming Netflix, its a piece of art, its just smooth, and i wonder where all the color banding is that always annoys me when looking streaming. It just kicks my Apple TV3 in the ass.

For DVD upscaling / deinterlacing, its some of the best i ever seen, if not the best, still need to play some more with that.

I actually think it looks better than my Denon DVD A1XVA- Radiance setup.

Looks like it passes better color resolution, and i did still not see any ringing or deinterlacing artifacts/ combing.

I dont use the Darbee, and never will, its in my opinion just as much crap as all other picture improvements.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Well he said five, personally i wouldnt say thats piles of them Laughing

Those were 5 of about 30 Panasonics, there were a total of 75 blu ray players in the pallet, the rest were a mix of Sony, Samsung, Insignia, Dynex, Philips, and a few others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: