Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Jamo subwoofer died - HELP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Jamo subwoofer died - HELP! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I’ve got an old subwoofer that quit working. My electronics know-how is very basic; nothing is too obvious for me!

It’s a Jamo SW600, impossible to find any info on it, and I don’t have any manuals for it. It has a separate little box that will accept several inputs (Sub signal in, L/R in and out [RCA and speaker posts]) and pots to adjust level and crossover, and then sends the signal via coax to the sub. It was working fine, then I brought it to my buddy’s house, and it wouldn’t work. I brought it home and it wouldn’t work either. There is a 5A fuse accessible from the outside: it’s ok. I removed the screws holding the plate to the cabinet to look for any obvious fried parts, and saw that there were two more 5A fuses. One of them had popped, so I replaced it. As soon as I had turned everything back on again, the same fuse popped. Anything obvious that I should be looking for?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like when you moved it some metal part might have shorted something out. You would have to really look close for any metal part or any other burn marks.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the external box out of the equation for the time being; it's just an active crossover unit.

See if you can unplug one of the the leads to the sub driver (or take the amp completely out of the enclosure), then apply power again and see if the fuse still blows. Use caution if you're going to be plugging in the amp and have the amp power supply components exposed.

From reading a few of the threads where Mac or Curt has chimed in, it's most likely a blown amp output transistor, or a the driver itself could have developed a short in the voice coil, possibly from getting moved. If it still blows the fuse with the driver disconnected, then you'll have to get Curt or another tech to help you troubleshoot, and without any electronics troubleshooting experience or tools, it could be more than you want to bite off.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a shorted power output chip in the amplifier, that's why the fuse keeps blowing right away. It should be a relatively easy repair for someone like myself. For someone who has basic knowledge, it isn't the easiest thing to do.

Surprised to see another Jamo user at all, we are quite a rare breed, Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's kind of a cool sub: it has two drivers facing each other doing the push-pull thing.

So this power output chip in the amplifier, would you happen to have a schematic fellow Jamo enthusiast? What do these things look like?
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

So this sub has been collecting dust and I decided to take another stab at it.

I plug it in, and turn it on, give it a source, and it does not blow a fuse. I can hear sound, but only if I get very close to the speaker - it's very faint. So I took an external amp and hooked it up to the sub: it works.

So the amplifying circuit is obviously not working; am I still looking at a blown power output chip? I did find a schematic finally, I've put it in attachment. Looking at the board, I found a TL084CN; is this the chip in question? There are no other components that look visibly defective or burned out. There is a voltage drop across the caps also.

Sure, I could run it off an external amp, but I'd like it to keep the original amp, and I'm interested in learning in the process. Any other hints are greatly appreciated! I found some pics of the sub, not taken by me, but identical to mine.

jamo4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.85 KB
 Viewed:  29752 Time(s)

jamo4.jpg

jamo3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.32 KB

jamo3.jpg

jamo2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.4 KB

jamo2.jpg

jamo1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.65 KB

jamo1.jpg

jamo_sw_600e_sch.pdf
 Description:
Schematic diagram

Download
 Filename:  jamo_sw_600e_sch.pdf
 Filesize:  241.35 KB
 Downloaded:  956 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offhand, I'd say an open capacitor in the signal chain. This is where a scope would help.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any device not working properly the first thing you would want to check are your source voltages. Test them and see what you have.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Offhand, I'd say an open capacitor in the signal chain. This is where a scope would help.

Scopes are for sissy's....... Laughing Laughing
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

Scopes are for sissy's....... Laughing Laughing

Hey I resemble that remark!!!

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
pcmerc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untuned wrote:
Update:

I plug it in, and turn it on, give it a source, and it does not blow a fuse. I can hear sound, but only if I get very close to the speaker - it's very faint. So I took an external amp and hooked it up to the sub: it works.

So the amplifying circuit is obviously not working; am I still looking at a blown power output chip? I did find a schematic finally, I've put it in attachment. Looking at the board, I found a TL084CN; is this the chip in question? There are no other components that look visibly defective or burned out. There is a voltage drop across the caps also.

Sure, I could run it off an external amp, but I'd like it to keep the original amp, and I'm interested in learning in the process. Any other hints are greatly appreciated! I found some pics of the sub, not taken by me, but identical to mine.

Can you tell me what color codes are on R36, please?

The schematic you have attached does not look completely correct. It is missing stuff compared to my pcb board layout on my SW600 unit.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcmerc wrote:
Untuned wrote:
Update:

Can you tell me what color codes are on R36, please?

The schematic you have attached does not look completely correct. It is missing stuff compared to my pcb board layout on my SW600 unit.

Why, you don't think yours is 820 ohm?
pcmerc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, mine is burned up. So no, I can't tell the color codes on it.
Thanks macgyver! Very Happy

I have an old jamo SW600 as well that just took a crap. Looks like the 2 6800uf 50V caps died as did R36.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Leave the external box out of the equation for the time being; it's just an active crossover unit.

Well since this thread is still being looked at for info then I need to correct this.

The input box "has" to be used with the sub. It is part of the signal chain. You "cannot" plug a preamp signal directly into the sub box RCA jack. You could damage your preamp if you do.

So "always" use the input box with the sub.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
You "cannot" plug a preamp signal directly into the sub box RCA jack. You could damage your preamp if you do.

How do you know this, Mac? Back when I chimed in on this, I couldn't find a manual, nor can I now. What is it on the schematics that indicate damage could occur to connected preamp? Is it the -22v on the signal input? If so, then I'd assume they manufactured the sub with a non-standard input cable to prevent connecting a preamp directly, or at least affixed a warning label if they used a standard coax connector.

Just trying to understand.

Cheers,
SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the -22v is on the shield part of the RCA connector. That sends power to the input box and is regulated to power the ic's in it. If connected to a regular preamp out of a device it would be trying to power up the chassis.

And I completely agree it is the dumbest thing they could of done.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
If so, then I'd assume they manufactured the sub with a non-standard input cable to prevent connecting a preamp directly, or at least affixed a warning label if they used a standard coax connector.

Just trying to understand.

Cheers,
SC

Oh, forgot to answer this. No label with warning. Standard cable with RCA on both ends.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the connector.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mac. Yeah, that makes no sense to me. I know it's elegant from a design standpoint (single cable), and at least it's labeled what it's fore, but if they were going to use an RCA jack (which is standard on almost every powered sub I've ever seen) in such an unconventional way, then I would think a warning symbol with a simple note about not connecting it to anything but the Jamo control/crossover would have made a whole lot of sense. Such a warning note on the sub itself would have been especially apropos since they know damn well when they sell the things, they're going to be kicking around for years, changing hands, and that in the vast majority of circumstances, the manuals will be long gone.

Cheers,
SC
pcmerc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again MacGuyver655! Parts received today, replaced the 2 6800uf 50V caps & the 820 ohm R36. Subwoofer lives!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: