Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

lumagen 2041/2042 vs DPI,SIM2 Scaler

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: lumagen 2041/2042 vs DPI,SIM2 Scaler Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
I would like too know how a Lumagen2042 compares to internal scalers like the ones that are build in a DPI , Sim2 or Christie?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you specifically referring to the 4K scaling done by the Lumagen Radiance 2041/2042 or scaling in general?

Related to 4K, doing the scaling in the Radiance is ideal for maximizing image quality on 4K displays for those people that want to use all the other video processing features that the Radiance is known for such as : Up to 729 point CMS, 21-point parametric gray-scale and Gamma, a host of setup features such for lenses/etc, industry leading No-Ring™ scaling technology, support for 3D scaling and conversion between 3D formats, Darbee image enhancement, and so forth.

You don't want to do image processing in the Radiance and then again with scaling in the projector. Best to do it all in one spot.

If you mean how does the scaling fare generally speaking to others, it is the general opinion of most (including my own) that the scaling done in the Radiance series of video processors is the best in the industry. But people don't usually buy a Radiance "just" to replace the scaler in their projector.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
yin

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have a JVC HD 10K which doesn`t have a internal VP. I have a Vigatec S1 and thinking about going to a Lumagen because the Vigatec does not have CMS.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend the Radiance for the JVC DLA-HD10K. It has no video processor at all (or even a CMS of any sort) so you need something to scale and tame the oversaturated colours.

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
yin

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiance XE or Radiance 2041 the best choice? and Why?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Radiance 20xx series meets your needs I would always recommend it over the Radiance XE.

See the comparison table here to compare the features: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

I would highly recommend the Radiance 20xx series over the Radiance XE for calibration as you’ll get a 9x9x9 CMS instead of only 5x5x5. This gives you 729 points for auto-calibration instead of only 125 points. ChromaPure supports all 729 points for auto-calibration.

The Radiance 20xx series also has built in Darblet Image Enhancement which everyone that has seen it says it makes a big difference. The Radiance XE does not.

The Radiance 20xx has more room in it for future free enhancements (the 729 point auto-cal is a good example – it was a recent free addition). Generally speaking, the Radiance XE does not have any more room for new features.

The Radiance uses Altera® Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) based architecture. The older Altera Cyclone II™ FPGA is used in the Radiance Mini/XS/XE. The Radiance 20xx uses the newer Altera Stratix III™ technology to increase both performance and available FPGA resources which allows for more future upgrades.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: