Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 8000 convergence slip & grid moving?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarahstaar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Marquee 8000 convergence slip & grid moving? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
a few years back draganm did all the HD mods to my Marquee 8000.

It has all been working fine over the years, then yesterday the convergence massively slipped. I re converged it and stared watching a movie.

Then i noticed that the convergence was moving. When I bring up the cross patten and i can see the grid moving!!

Today I removed the convergence & vertical board, the new ones that draganm supplely, and put back the original unmodified boards.

It seems to have solved the problem but the picture looks washed out and slightly out of focus?? The electronic focus is having no affect??
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen recently on an 8500, and it was indeed the convergence board. The red grid was shaking horizontally and was moving as well. Never seen that before on a Marquee.

It doesn't really make sense that the picture is out of focus and washed out, the convergence and V boards do not affect color or focus for that matter, but it makes me think that you may have a CLM (microprocessor board) issue.

Pull it out, and reseat the daughter board on it, and push down HARD on any square chips that are in a socket. that will reseat/clean the chip contacts, and may solve all your issues.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep what curt said about the CLM. If that does not fix it you might have a corrupted memory location. If you want to save your set up , down load the settings using Marquee Loader Program. Then initialize the PJ again to clear it all out, then re load the settings from your PC.

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/Marquee_ControlProgram.zip

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm throwing out a whole bunch of 8000 parts. I realize shipping may be high, but you can more or less have them. One is a CLM.

Keep in mind that the 8000 is getting pretty old at this point, which is why I've scrapped almost all parts for that chassis at this point.
sarahstaar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i am looking for a quick fix.

I want to upgrade to a 9" projector maybe a sony G90 or Barco 909

My Marquee projector is mounted on my ceiling and this has put me off upgrading because it was one hell of a job mounting it!!

I am moving house in the next 2 months time so i think this would be a good time to upgrade.

The one thing that puts me off the Barco 909 is the parts. I believe they are hard to fine and are expensive?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at this point they are. IN 2 years I expect to have literally dozens more in, and the price of spare parts will come down, but at this point I`ve got some pretty high end corporations paying top $$ for my units as Barco more or less has discontinued support for them.

Good call on eventually upgrading though, you won`t regret it, and a 9`set will be a significant upgrade for you.
sarahstaar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 questions

I know the barco 909 is the best projector on paper but would i really see any noticeable difference in picture quality between the Barco 909 and a Sony G90?

Is the Sony G90 projector an easer projector to use and setup?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Barco does indeed take setup to a new level, and does have better lenses than the Sony, so yes, it`s a step above. Right now, the Barco is approximately double that of an equivalent tube condition G90, due to performance, but also supply and demand. the 909/Cine 9 are insanely hard to find, it`s only as of last month that I have about 10 in stock, and two sold this week.

I haven't announced it yet, but I have a Barco Cinemax 9 coming in today (I think) with an original 1900 hours on it. I'll put in a new green tube due to the tiniest hint of wear, but I'll have no issues flipping it for $9-10K I'd guess. I have a couple of customers looking for that one, so it will probably never be advertised, it's in that much demand.

As I said before, parts right now are scarce, but even 2 years ago they were impossible to find. I was lucky enough to buy several modules of ones that commonly fail, from a flight simulator that was shut down, so I've got good stock of most parts at this point. IN a couple of years, they will be even more plentiful due to more CRTs being pulled out of service, so parts won't be an issue then.

It was the same thing with a G90 5 years ago. IN 2005-2010 or so, they were the holy grail, and mere mortals didn't stand a chance of owning one, me included. Last year I bought and sold 20 of them, and this year so far it's about 25. Go figure.

Ease of setup- about the same between the two. if you're comfortable with the 8000, then you'll have no issues with either the 909 or the G90. The Barco has a 'guided' setup menu, which makes it easy for first timers, but once you've done a couple of CRTs, then both the G90 and 909 are a piece of cake. the only thing daunting on both is the sheer amount of adjustments/astig/focus you have available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: