Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

any hacks which would allow me to increase throw?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: any hacks which would allow me to increase throw? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have filtered lenses, and I find i prefer the projector behind me as opposed to above or in front...or beside me. If I could increase the throw...it would be just right.

I don't suppose there are any optical hacks one could do?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. If throw increases, so does screen size. Linear relationship. The only thing you can do is make the image smaller on the tube face (which is really only reasonable for a few percent one way or the other, can soften the image, and wears the phosphor.

What projector, and what's your current screen size and throw? Can you rearrange your room a little to move the couch closer? My G70 was behind my head, but I my seat was at about 1.2 or 1.3 screen widths... The projector was probably 1.4 or 1.5 screen widths.

Placement flexibility is another very nice thing about digitals.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont say what lenses. Lots of them are filtered.

Placement of digitals must be absolutely exact if they have no zoom or lens shift. Without the latter, they still need to be centered perfectly. CRT is no where near that absolute critical, even if it does help to be.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the screen not the projector

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the simple basics...I was looking to see if some phyisics guru or one of the brainiacs could come up with an interesting option. I think it would certainly be worth a try. Either longer or shorter throw would be good. I have the projector just behind me right now...and its right in the middle of the screen so no keystoning is necessary. THe screen is just a tad too small if I want to run a relatively normal raster. I have the hwidth almost at zero now (but the image is not as small as I would have thought on the tube face).

The lenses are hd6ml...I quite like them, actually. Is the throw on these lenses longer/shorter than HD145's?

Of the lenses I could use, I wonder which ones would have the longest throw...I might have to check that lenses thread.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD6 are simular to 145, but try those anyway. 144 will put the projector closer.

There is no magic tricks to change throw distance, and if its on the ceiling, its no big deal anyway.
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny...everything is a tradeoff...I find ceiling mount makes the projected image too high...floor mount, too low. Front of my seating area, pic too small, behind seating area, pic too big!!

Ahhhh....crt. Why do I love thee so??
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, from my recollection, no lenses change the throw more than few percent from any other lens (assuming same projector/lens compatibility; obviously, there are differences between small machines and large machines). So, unless moving the projector an inch or two is all you need, lenses aren't an option.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/131006/hd145-vs-hd-6c-lenses

HJustin wrote:
The focal lengths of the HD6 and the HD145:

HD6: 133.4mm
HD145: 134.1mm

I received this information from Barb at Corning Precision Lens last week. I assume from this information there would be practically no difference in throw distance between the two.

He's right.

You still haven't mentioned your screen size or viewing distance.

If ceiling mounting is making the image too high, it sounds like maybe your whole problem is too small of a screen. Pull the projector back, the screen gets a little bigger, the offset drops it down on the wall, and all is right with the world.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or mount the machine abit lower, or tilt more. There should be more than enough range in the convergence to tilt it dowward more, and it wont take much.

There is a load of solutions here.
joatmon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my 708/Cine7/DTV940 on the ceiling and it works just peachy up there (and yeah, I like to sit just a bit in front of it too).

(old photo - before I lowered it about 6-8" and moved it back about 4")
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joatmon,

what kind of mount are you using? The Barco one, or uni-strut? If uni-strut, how are you doing it?

If you're inclined...I'd love to see this setup in action. Plus, it would allow me to copy the remote codes to a learning remote. I am remoteless and have to stand at the projector in order to change anything Smile
joatmon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
Joatmon,

what kind of mount are you using? The Barco one, or uni-strut? If uni-strut, how are you doing it?

If you're inclined...I'd love to see this setup in action. Plus, it would allow me to copy the remote codes to a learning remote. I am remoteless and have to stand at the projector in order to change anything Smile

Yes, I can have you over. How's tomorrow evening between 8-10pm?

I do have the original Barco remote as well. That's a pain setting it up the way you have been.

I have the Barco OEM mount attached to uni-strut. I originally had the uni-strut bolted to the structural members of the house, but months later realized I had screwed it up and lowered the whole assembly by inserting wood blocking between the ceiling and the uni-strut.
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that Barco mount...it's a tad confusing for me. It didn't come with any bolts, and I don't want the thing falling on my head because I forgot a bolt Smile It would be good to look at yours.

Tomorrow may or may not be good...I may have to babysit Smile I'll pm you here tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: