Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone use a Tivo Roamio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Anyone use a Tivo Roamio? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have 2 hoppers and 6 joeys and the bill is like $160 per month. I can go cable, bundle my internet, and drop to about $150 for both services combined.

I'm looking at buying my own receivers to cut down on the monthly charge. The Roamio with Minis looks like a good deal. Anyone have any experience with those?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a an older Tivo and love the UI. I haven't used any of the newer models, but I am sure they are just as good if not better.

You do know that you have to subscribe to the Tivo service. It is to expensive to me, but each their own. The Channel Master boxes don't require a subscription.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen the new stuff, but the UI on my first TiVo from like 2002 or something still hasn't been equaled. Yes, the UI on every other box I've seen, including brand new stuff from Dish, DirecTV, and certainly any cable company is all inferior to the TiVo I had ten years ago. It's ridiculous. And slow? Judas priest.

I'll be at CEDIA in a few weeks. I'll try to swing by the TiVo booth and check out the Roamio - hadn't even heard of it until now.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and bought a Roamio with 3 minis. Pretty cool. Tivo desktop so I can upload movies to the hard drive and download movies to my computer (as long as they aren't copy protected). I put a slingbox solo on it because its streaming is limited to IOS devices. Last thing, I found a RGB plus Audio Baluns for Cat 6 wire for $60 on Amazon to extend the signal into another room.

Now the next decision . . . lifetime or not?

Lifetime on the Roamio is $499 with $149 for each mini. Slighlty less than a grand to save $33 per month in fees. That's a 30 month ROI (assuming not rate increases from Tivo).

What do you guys think?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Roamio with 4 mini units. Great system. Just as cool as the hopper with the exception that I was able to put lifetime subscriptions on everything. I lowered my total bill by $83 per month. I figure I have a 26 month ROI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: