Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

$25 stripper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
draganm wrote:
I just see a splitter, is it a stripper too and they're just not advertising the feature?

A good number of these cheaper splitters are also strippers. It was probably cheaper to strip the HDCP out and have two HDMI transmitters than doing the proper three-way HDCP handshaking between two displays and a source.

Added bonus is that it caches the EDID data from whatever display device you have connected when you plug it in, so handshaking issues which require a specific order of powering up devices are greatly reduced as well.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnnash wrote:
draganm wrote:
I just see a splitter, is it a stripper too and they're just not advertising the feature?

A good number of these cheaper splitters are also strippers. It was probably cheaper to strip the HDCP out and have two HDMI transmitters than doing the proper three-way HDCP handshaking between two displays and a source.

Added bonus is that it caches the EDID data from whatever display device you have connected when you plug it in, so handshaking issues which require a specific order of powering up devices are greatly reduced as well.
ok thanks
So pardon my igorance but what's the really benny here? For someone looking to feed an analog display can you now use the splitter, strip the HDCP, but you you still need ot convert to analog signal. What the cheapest way to do that?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
ok thanks
So pardon my igorance but what's the really benny here? For someone looking to feed an analog display can you now use the splitter, strip the HDCP, but you you still need ot convert to analog signal. What the cheapest way to do that?

The benefits are different depending on what type of display you have.

For guys who want to use older processors (like the Lumagen HDP) with digital inputs, but which aren't HDCP compliant, this solves that problem.

For others who have handshake problems (irrespective of display or switching equipment), this solves that problem because the splitter/stripper handshakes with the source, completely irrespective of everything else down the chain, i.e. switcher or display.

If you read through this thread, there are several accounts of how this has solved problems for people, including me.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
draganm wrote:
ok thanks

The benefits are different depending on what type of display you have.

For guys who want to use older processors (like the Lumagen HDP) with digital inputs, but which aren't HDCP compliant, this solves that problem.

For others who have handshake problems (irrespective of display or switching equipment), this solves that problem because the splitter/stripper handshakes with the source, completely irrespective of everything else down the chain, i.e. switcher or display.

If you read through this thread, there are several accounts of how this has solved problems for people, including me.

SC

Exactly. And even better, for devices that allow digital-to-analog conversion and are truly HDCP compliant, they shut off the analog outputs when HDCP is present.

That's what my HDQ does, so having a stripper allows for custom porch settings with HDCP-protected sources. And as a bonus, an HDQ is a lot cheaper than a radiance, which would still require a moome at the end to boot!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool, just bid on an HDQ on flea bay. Plan ot use the splitter from BD player to VP and then analog RGB output to CRT.
Assuming I can figure out How to use the HDQ (If Craig had trouble last time I'm in for a bad ride), I plan to create some unique resolutions for my 8500 like 1440 x 810 @72Hz.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
ok cool, just bid on an HDQ on flea bay. Plan ot use the splitter from BD player to VP and then analog RGB output to CRT.
Assuming I can figure out How to use the HDQ (If Craig had trouble last time I'm in for a bad ride), I plan to create some unique resolutions for my 8500 like 1440 x 810 @72Hz.

The HDQ will do a great Job drags. And the Limited CMS in the HDQ is worth the price IMO.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 11-point parametric correction is awesome for correcting gamma on the low end. True blacks and shadow detail!
veelangs

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question, i don't need one of these if i'm just trying to get a pc hdmi signal to my ampro 2600 right?

i'd just have to do hdmi from laptop to hdmi/vga box to scaler (dream scaler in my case) bnc out of dream scaler to bnc in on ampro

that's it right? I mean I don't mind adding one of these to the chain, but I'm new so wondering. my experience with hdcp leads me to believe that only things like bluray/hddvd/ps3 etc need to have that stripped. but pc inputs should be clean
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

You'll get the hang of the HDQ with time. I am just rusty on the VisionHDP line because all I work with anymore is the Radiance. A lot has changed over the years and the Radiance interface is much different.

Be ready for a steep learning curve on the HDQ though. I would not use the primary color adjustments on the HDQ at all. It only has RGB and no YMC. When you adjust RG or B than your secondary colors get trashed. The color gamut adjustments on the HDQ were added for the sole reason to fix really egregious digital projectors with ridiculously exaggerated green primary coordinates.

To keep 1:1 pixel mapping for things like 818x1920, be sure to use the 4x3 input aspect ratio. That is the weirdest thing with the HDQ. I forgot that the last time I worked with one (Justin) and it took me a couple hours to sort it all out.

The analog output on the HDQ is really wonderful. Very little noise and very high bandwidth.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Be ready for a steep learning curve on the HDQ though. I would not use the primary color adjustments on the HDQ at all. It only has RGB and no YMC. When you adjust RG or B than your secondary colors get trashed. The color gamut adjustments on the HDQ were added for the sole reason to fix really egregious digital projectors with ridiculously exaggerated green primary coordinates.
To keep 1:1 pixel mapping for things like 818x1920, be sure to use the 4x3 input aspect ratio. That is the weirdest thing with the HDQ. I forgot that the last time I worked with one (Justin) and it took me a couple hours to sort it all out.
The analog output on the HDQ is really wonderful. Very little noise and very high bandwidth.

craigr
thanks Craig, I'll keep la that in mind and probably come back here begging for help Laughing

veelangs wrote:
quick question, i don't need one of these if i'm just trying to get a pc hdmi signal to my ampro 2600 right?
I'd just have to do hdmi from laptop to hdmi/vga box to scaler (dream scaler in my case) bnc out of dream scaler to bnc in on ampro
you should probably start using better descriptions of your video chain or at least post the name of the object. What's an HDMI/VGA box?
If it's a transcoder like a Fury or Moome then that's all you need for a basic picture
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

Woah! Are you serious??

I still have never been able to get perfect 1:1 on my HDQ with any sort of custom porch settings. No matter what combination of settings or fiddling with size controls on a 1 on, 1 off pattern, I could never get it. I eventually kinda gave up on it, and decided to tackle it again later, but then I lost my green tube.

Can't wait to give this a shot once things are finally back up and running!
GREG1292

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

need a link for current hdmi to vga adapter thanks Laughing

https://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=30.120
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnnash wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

Woah! Are you serious??

I still have never been able to get perfect 1:1 on my HDQ with any sort of custom porch settings. No matter what combination of settings or fiddling with size controls on a 1 on, 1 off pattern, I could never get it. I eventually kinda gave up on it, and decided to tackle it again later, but then I lost my green tube.

Can't wait to give this a shot once things are finally back up and running!

I'm 99% sure that your input aspect ratio needs to be 4x3. I am also pretty sure that your output aspect has to be 2.35. That is where you start.

Once you have that, then you need to adjust the input size to get exactly 818x1920 (top left and bottom right in the input menu). You do this by looking at vertical and horizontal 1:1 patterns and when the frequency distortions do not exist (banding or resonating are gone) than you know you have 1:1.

On the Radiance all you do is set the input and output aspect ratios to 2.35 and turn off "scale bias" and it's done. On the Radiance you can also look at the status screen and verify that the horizontal and vertical scalers are "off." No such ease on the VisonHDP line, you just have to know what you are doing and that you did it right.

Good luck,

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
veelangs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veelangs wrote:
I'd just have to do hdmi from laptop to hdmi/vga box to scaler (dream scaler in my case) bnc out of dream scaler to bnc in on ampro
you should probably start using better descriptions of your video chain or at least post the name of the object. What's an HDMI/VGA box?
If it's a transcoder like a Fury or Moome then that's all you need for a basic picture[/quote]

no it's just one of those basic powered hdmi to vga boxes from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O55U8K/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003O55U8K&linkCode=as2&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=76LUCX3ZZ2FIKPAS

The hospital gave it to me to use it on the crt projo (ampro 3xxx) in my lab (I'm a young phys so I get the oldest tech haha, but it made me want one for my home!) and it works just fine there, this is similar pj so I'm assuming it should work here too.

My video chain as follows at work -> thinkpad hdmi to that hdmi/vga box i linked -> vga to wall plug. I know that's not a good description, but I have no clue what type of scaler or processor is in the wall, but i'll ask next time I run into an IT guy.

at home my proposed video chain -> thinkpad hdmi to hdmi/vga box linked -> vga to dream vision dream scaler -> bnc to ampro

so hopefully that works out
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:

I'm 99% sure that your input aspect ratio needs to be 4x3. I am also pretty sure that your output aspect has to be 2.35. That is where you start.

Thanks! I've spent hours adjusting TOPL and BOTR to no avail, but I never did try the odd combination of 4x3 input and 2.35 output! I guess I just assumed that the input ratio should match my input signal. Silly me I guess! Laughing
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veelangs wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O55U8K/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003O55U8K&linkCode=as2&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=76LUCX3ZZ2FIKPAS

The hospital gave it to me to use it on the crt projo (ampro 3xxx) in my lab (I'm a young phys so I get the oldest tech haha, but it made me want one for my home!) and it works just fine there, this is similar pj so I'm assuming it should work here too.

My video chain as follows at work -> thinkpad hdmi to that hdmi/vga box i linked -> vga to wall plug. I know that's not a good description, but I have no clue what type of scaler or processor is in the wall, but i'll ask next time I run into an IT guy.

at home my proposed video chain -> thinkpad hdmi to hdmi/vga box linked -> vga to dream vision dream scaler -> bnc to ampro

That will probably work fine for your needs, if you aren't extremely worried about color fidelity and such. Hell, for that price, it's certainly worth a shot!

However, it does make specific mention that it is HDCP compliant, so you will need a stripper like the one mentioned in this thread, used before this converter, otherwise any HDCP content will cause the analog output to turn off.

edit: Reading a few of the reviews, it looks like it will display an HDCP protected signal... your mileage may vary though, usually with these cheap Chinese devices, there are several different versions, you might not necessarily get what is pictured, and it might not have the same capabilities.
veelangs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnnash wrote:
veelangs wrote:

That will probably work fine for your needs, if you aren't extremely worried about color fidelity and such. Hell, for that price, it's certainly worth a shot!

However, it does make specific mention that it is HDCP compliant, so you will need a stripper like the one mentioned in this thread, used before this converter, otherwise any HDCP content will cause the analog output to turn off.

edit: Reading a few of the reviews, it looks like it will display an HDCP protected signal... your mileage may vary though, usually with these cheap Chinese devices, there are several different versions, you might not necessarily get what is pictured, and it might not have the same capabilities.

Yeah I figured if it can display an image on the 3xxx then it should on the 2600 as well!

And it's a 7inch CRT projecting from the floor, I'm obviously not worried about the colors too too much haha

also I just plan on using it with my laptop (no bluray etc) so I don't think hdcp should be a concern for me, but if it ends up being one then I'll definitely get the stripper
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the post and photos from the first stripper I got.

CIR Engineering wrote:
So I haven't used or measured it yet, but I just took it apart. They are using the Explore EP9132 HDMI splitter, ST 8S003F3P6 microcontroller for "HDCP," and the Atmel 2C08N for storing EDID data. The only thing really of interest here is the Atmel because they are easy chips to write with a basic EEPROM programmer and thus can be customized. If you are having trouble with EDID and this splitter it would not be difficult to modify. I used the same chips when I was developing the 3D for CRT to force sources to recognize my CRT as 3D capable.

The solder flow is low quality, but better than I might have guessed for $15.

I'll do some testing in a bit if I have time today. Here are some photos.

craigr

Just got a couple of these in for a job. As you can see they have changed dramatically, but they are still stripping HDCP according to my QuantumData.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
paw

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do they support 4K (HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2) ? Wink Just joking.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever test one of these ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y7ZYSSE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00Y7ZYSSE&linkCode=as2&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=QKF52IQ2PFN22B3Y

https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Last edited by Tom.W on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: