Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Can Stewart Studio Tech 130 be repaired?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Can Stewart Studio Tech 130 be repaired? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I got in last night to find, my girl friends screen damaged. A bunch of crap avalanched and put two creases and a dent in it.

Can this be repaired? Heat from a blow dryer? HELP!!

( pics to follow )

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dented!

IMG_7640_CROP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.63 KB
 Viewed:  14630 Time(s)

IMG_7640_CROP.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll buff out

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the wrinkles will relax themselves out over time. If you use heat I would be careful as to not melt the coating on the screen surface (hair dryer better than a heat gun!). The ST130 seems to be pretty resilient stuff.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more options?

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of us could suggest a remedy, but it would just be opinion, and could be just as likely to damage the screen as to improve it. I surely wouldn't just grab a heat gun or even hair dryer without first talking to somebody. Just call Stewart, ask for customer support, and ask what to do. 800.762.4999

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big's that dent Analog? One inch long? A foot? It's impossible to tell from the photo.

It's funny, my homemade screen (made from curtain blackout material) has been through a lot over the last ~12-13 years and I'm still using it. If you shine lights on it and look at it up close, there are a couple of small dents in it but when there's a picture up on the screen you can't make them out at all.

Do you see the dent when watching content? If it's not too bad it may be best to simply leave it alone and it may get better over time.

I'd also give Stewart support a call or email - they'd be in the best position to know what to do.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
How big's that dent Analog? One inch long? A foot? It's impossible to tell from the photo.

It's funny, my homemade screen (made from curtain blackout material) has been through a lot over the last ~12-13 years and I'm still using it. If you shine lights on it and look at it up close, there are a couple of small dents in it but when there's a picture up on the screen you can't make them out at all.

Do you see the dent when watching content? If it's not too bad it may be best to simply leave it alone and it may get better over time.

I'd also give Stewart support a call or email - they'd be in the best position to know what to do.

Kal

It's about an inch. Sorry should have specified. It was the end of a roll of Christmas wrap that hit it. The whole thing looked like a Rube Goldburg setup. A blanket fell, hit the next thing, somehow a random roll of Christmas wrap ended up out there when we left it was no where near there???? Weird.

Haven't had a chance to watch anything on it yet. I did notice the other two creases have lessened. Maybe this one will ease itself out too?

SC thanks for the number I'll call next time I'm here.

CRT.

HD done right!
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I received my ST130 material it was wrinkled from being in a shipping tube for over a week (and it was packed very carefully). After the screen was assembled and mounted it took another 1-2 weeks before the wrinkles disappeared. I would wait before taking any action.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave it for a month. I think the roll stretched the screen fabric. We shall see.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I'll leave it for a month. I think the roll stretched the screen fabric. We shall see.

OK month later ( more or less ) and here's what we've got:

DSC00337_crop_Aug_2013.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.04 KB
 Viewed:  14368 Time(s)

DSC00337_crop_Aug_2013.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better to me. How's it look in real life?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you contact Stewart this is what they would suggest...

First for dirt you should try using Simple Green. Use a q-tip and dab at it. I have also tried light pressure with a microfiber cloth and Simple Green with success. However, Stewart doesn't suggest scrubbing, but I have done it lightly with good results.

If Simple Green can't remove the dirt the next thing Stewart suggests is using Goof Off. I have followed through with this on client screens before and it has been successful. However, the Goof Off will work almost instantly and it will eat the coating on the screen very very quickly!!! The Goof Off will literally take the 130 coating off the screen if you are not careful.

With Goof Off, put a very small amount on a q-tip. You have to tap the dirt with a q-tip very lightly and the back away quickly. Any scrubbing or too many taps will quickly remove the Stewart coating from the screen and leave it bare. It is also common for the area cleaned with Goof Off to wind up being slightly whiter than the rest of the screen. So you want to keep the application area to the absolute minimum and don't use Goof Off unless the dirt is worse than having a slightly lighter area.

If you do the Goof Off right, than the slightly whiter area won't be visible in real world viewing but you can see it on a white field. So if you have a dark streak of dirt that is visible on real world than the Goof Off can dramatically improve the situation.

For creases and wrinkles that won't come out after a few weeks of being left alone on an installed screen, what Stewart recommends is heating by the sun. On a hot and bright day you take the assembled screen outside and lay it flat with the image side facing down (so if a bird poops on the screen it won't be on the picture side Wink. Let the hot sun hit the entire back of the screen for the day. Bring it in and most likely the crease or wrinkles will be gone.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
Looks better to me. How's it look in real life?

I can only see it when I'm right up next to it. The dent it gone! Tha's just where the paper roll scuffed the surface of the screen. I **MAY** try to brush it off lightly with my finger.

CRAIG: Thank's for the info.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: