Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony HDMI Card Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Sony HDMI Card Questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Few questions,

I received my Sony HDMI Card. I put it in slot 6 in the Sony Switcher. I have my Blue Ray dvd hooked up to it.
I'm confused about how the card and the the remote control that came with the card works.
I turn the player on, , but can't see any menu or data on the screen. with or without a dvd in the player. I can't tell if the remote is doing anything.
I'm a total nob at this stuff.
How do I access a menu so it shows up on the screen ? And what should I see when the card slot is being used?
Thanks, Larry
scir16v

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Sony unit is anything like the NEC unit, you won't see any type of menu at all. Really the only way you can tell anything is happening, the led flashes when you do an adjustment. And the picture gets brighter or dimmer.
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything happening using the remote. The card lights are on, but I can't tell any difference in the picture
Right now it seems like a big waste of money.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/ifb_fhdv3_v10.pdf

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryp wrote:
I don't see anything happening using the remote. The card lights are on, but I can't tell any difference in the picture
Right now it seems like a big waste of money.

You mean you can't see any difference between the analogue input on the projector and the digital HDMI input on the Moome card?

The HDMI should be sharper and perhaps a little brighter but that should be obvious.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bluray player are you using?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Blue Ray player is a LG
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sony HDMI Card Questions Reply with quote

larryp wrote:
Few questions,

I received my Sony HDMI Card. I put it in slot 6 in the Sony Switcher. I have my Blue Ray dvd hooked up to it.
I'm confused about how the card and the the remote control that came with the card works.
I turn the player on, , but can't see any menu or data on the screen. with or without a dvd in the player. I can't tell if the remote is doing anything.
I'm a total nob at this stuff.
How do I access a menu so it shows up on the screen ? And what should I see when the card slot is being used?
Thanks, Larry

Isn't there a slot in the projector that will accept the moome card directly. Plugging it into the switcher may not be the best course as you still using an analog cable between the switcher and the projector and you really need to eliminate that.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
Isn't there a slot in the projector that will accept the moome card directly. Plugging it into the switcher may not be the best course as you still using an analog cable between the switcher and the projector and you really need to eliminate that.

Yes, but then he has to re-run new cable, which is what he was trying to avoid. A long analog run isn't necessarily bad if it's a good analog run - especially with a lower-res projector like Sony 12xx.

AnalogRocks wrote:

Does it really matter? It's a 1272. I hate to say it, but unless it's a particularly minty set and/or very sharp setup, there just isn't much benefit to be had going from analog component/transcoder, to Moome card - especially with the long analog cable run between the Sony switcher and the projector.

Larry, a couple of questions...

Is the cable run from the Sony switcher to the projector a 5-wire RGBHV cable snake connected from the "MONITOR OUT" section of the switcher, or is it using the round "REMOTE" cable above the power connector?

What resolution is the LG Blu-ray player set up to output? Make sure it isn't set up to output 1080p, and I would highly recommend 1080i over 720p for a 1272.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

AnalogRocks wrote:

Does it really matter? It's a 1272. I hate to say it, but unless it's a particularly minty set and/or very sharp setup, there just isn't much benefit to be had going from analog component/transcoder, to Moome card - especially with the long analog cable run between the Sony switcher and the projector.

No need to be dismissive.

Yes it does matter. I'm wondering if he was using component before, which model Bluray player, what resolution etc...

I wanted to look up the model number to offer more help. We tend to do that here.

Also I have tested Moome cards in PC1271 switchers before with mixed results so I figure I can help him out some.

Larry. Do you by chance have a PS3 or Xbox 360 you can test with?

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
km987654 wrote:

Yes, but then he has to re-run new cable, which is what he was trying to avoid. A long analog run isn't necessarily bad if it's a good analog run - especially with a lower-res projector like Sony 12xx.

AnalogRocks wrote:

Is the cable run from the Sony switcher to the projector a 5-wire RGBHV cable snake connected from the "MONITOR OUT" section of the switcher, or is it using the round "REMOTE" cable above the power connector?

What resolution is the LG Blu-ray player set up to output? Make sure it isn't set up to output 1080p, and I would highly recommend 1080i over 720p for a 1272.

SC

Where did the 1272 come from. I missed that if it's published anywhere.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Yes it does matter. I'm wondering if he was using component before, which model Bluray player, what resolution etc...

I wasn't being dismissive, Jeremy. It was a legitimate rhetorical question. In my opinion, unless a 12xx is particularly minty/low-hours, and particularly well-setup, I don't think a Moome card, or even what Blu-ray player he's using is going to make that much difference. I had a 1271 in my theater for several years, and did a lot of testing on several other 12xx's. It's my opinion; you're welcome to yours.

AnalogRocks wrote:
I wanted to look up the model number to offer more help. We tend to do that here.

Thanks, I realize that. I've helped a lot over the years, too. I've also tried to manage people's expectations. A moome card isn't suddenly going to make a 1272 sharp and colorful if it has a lot of hours on it and/or has a coat of filth on the tube faces that haven't been cleaned in 7 years. IMHO, those would be questions that would be just as important as what brand/model BD player he's using. I don't see why the particular BD player matters that much. Again, just my opinion.

Cheers,
SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more questions, Larry... How many hours does your 1272 have on it? How long has it been since the lenses were off?

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW when/where did he say he had a 12xx projector?

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Stop copying me Laughing
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Click his username, then click the Find all posts by larryp link. Click to page 2 or 3 (oldest). He's been around since January, and has started half a dozen or more threads asking questions about his 1272. Most of them have 1272 in the title. I've posted in a number of them and answered some questions when possible.

SC
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RGBVH cable runs from the switcher to the projector using the Monitor out card on the switcher. I use 1080I for HD
Projector is ceiling mounted.
I have a Sony 1272

ecrabb wrote:
km987654 wrote:

AnalogRocks wrote:

SC
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Pojector isn't the best. I'm trying to do with what I have. I'm very pleased with the picture
My concerns are not seeing how the HDMI card remote control works. If I can't see the menu or any settings, how do I know what, if anything is happening or changing picture wise.

ecrabb wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

I wasn't being dismissive, Jeremy. It was a legitimate rhetorical question. In my opinion, unless a 12xx is particularly minty/low-hours, and particularly well-setup, I don't think a Moome card, or even what Blu-ray player he's using is going to make that much difference. I had a 1271 in my theater for several years, and did a lot of testing on several other 12xx's. It's my opinion; you're welcome to yours.

AnalogRocks wrote:

Thanks, I realize that. I've helped a lot over the years, too. I've also tried to manage people's expectations. A moome card isn't suddenly going to make a 1272 sharp and colorful if it has a lot of hours on it and/or has a coat of filth on the tube faces that haven't been cleaned in 7 years. IMHO, those would be questions that would be just as important as what brand/model BD player he's using. I don't see why the particular BD player matters that much. Again, just my opinion.

Cheers,
SC
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't have a modern game system.

AnalogRocks wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

AnalogRocks wrote:

Also I have tested Moome cards in PC1271 switchers before with mixed results so I figure I can help him out some.

Larry. Do you by chance have a PS3 or Xbox 360 you can test with?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryp wrote:
The RGBVH cable runs from the switcher to the projector using the Monitor out card on the switcher. I use 1080I for HD
Projector is ceiling mounted.
I have a Sony 1272

Excellent. Best cabling option from switcher to projector, and 1080i is the way to go with 12xx.

larryp wrote:
I know the Pojector isn't the best. I'm trying to do with what I have. I'm very pleased with the picture

That's great. Sorry if I came off sounding like I was dinging your projector. On the contrary, the 12xx are great machines - I had one for years. They're just not particularly revealing of small details, which isn't great with Blu-ray, but is actually of benefit with bandwidth-starved digital cable, satellite, and off-the-air. My point in mentioning the projector and cabling wasn't to dismiss or denigrate your projector, but only to manage your expectations, since that it won't reveal some of the increased detail you'll get from the Moome card, even if it were directly in one of the IFB slots in the projector. I was under the impression you weren't seeing the difference between the old analog cabling and the Moome card. Your post clarified the matter.

larryp wrote:
My concerns are not seeing how the HDMI card remote control works. If I can't see the menu or any settings, how do I know what, if anything is happening or changing picture wise.

Ah, gotcha. There are only a couple of settings you might need to tweak with the Moome card, and they'll require a test pattern and full light control in your room to see. As in the IFB HD manual, you should use a greyscale ramp, along with a pluge pattern to set gamma.

With the test pattern up and no other light in the room, you should be able to see the changes to gamma with the remote control. If you see nothing, you could have a defective card or remote (or dead batteries) - I have one of these here that I need to send back to Moome. A simple test of switching inputs on the card should tell you if the remote is working.

The only other settings are input color space (which you should be able to leave on auto), and output range, which should probably also be able to leave at default.

Regards,
SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: