Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The strange ways flatscreens go bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: The strange ways flatscreens go bad Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Had to grab this little 32" LG set ( 32LH30 ) from the e-waste stream where I work...after all, how many 32" sets that you come across are full 1080P HD ? Anyways, it powered up nicely and I thought why did they throw it out ? ...and hour later i got my answer - the video had dropped out. Still had a "raster" / backlight though. Power cycle didn't bring it back. Opened it up and after poking around was somewhat shocked by what was causing the fault.

Now its your turn ! Can anyone spot the reason it died ? ...here's a pic.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I see a blistering cap on the power supply, top right corner? Razz If so, that's very common on those.

I have a couple of LCDs here you should come and get. One is a 1080p 120HZ LG, where I get vertical lines intermittently on the right 1/2 of the screen...
jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy... the power cord is missing. Cool

seriously.. what is up with the power connection to the main board why is it on an angle?
View user's photo album (4 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture is not clear enough and/or close enough to make any visual observations.
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power connection to the main board and all other connections are fine. No bad / swelled caps. I'll give you a hint its not a actual component failure but rather a manufacturing inflicted defect and Mac it is visible if you look *very* closely...but its *tiny* !!! Another hint is that its the video and everything associated with on screen image generation that drops out or is intermittent and its not power supply or backlight related at all.

Sorry if the pic is a bit smallish but a 500 k picture upload limit is pretty restrictive ( yeah I know it costs $ for webserver/hosting space so not complaining or anything Smile )
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that and it's hard to spot easily and my eyes aren't the best anymore. But it looks like the latch connector for the ribbon cable going to the TCON is up. But again, the pic is not clear enough to say for sure. I NEED CLARITY>LOL<! Laughing
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and you can use Imageshack or Photobucket for free hosting.
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac you were close... Ok I won't torture your eyes/brains any longer; the fault is a hole in the T-Con cable ! In my pic it did show as black spec on the ribbon.

The set seemed like it not been cracked open by anyone so maybe it was an assembly glitch that somehow got past QC. Its amazing the set worked at all. Or maybe it got worked on for some other problem and whoever serviced it damaged the cable...
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See kids, dumpster diving can really pay off! Nice score and nicer catch.

Matt
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my replacement Tcon cable from Encompass. Only $16 plus $7.50 shipping to canada not bad! Set fires up nicely now no hiccups.
Now it's on the the 42" Samsung I scrounged the same day - that one has some bizarre backlighting behaviour as it warms up ... Looks like solarization sometimes. Weee! Yes my friends and family think I am the King of the
Dumpster divers. Lol.
Scojolicious

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just popped and screen went black but still powered up. Power supply maybe?
MPHSystems

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
Power connection to the main board and all other connections are fine. No bad / swelled caps. I'll give you a hint its not a actual component failure but rather a manufacturing inflicted defect and Mac it is visible if you look *very* closely...but its *tiny* !!! Another hint is that its the video and everything associated with on screen image generation that drops out or is intermittent and its not power supply or backlight related at all.

Sorry if the pic is a bit smallish but a 500 k picture upload limit is pretty restrictive ( yeah I know it costs $ for webserver/hosting space so not complaining or anything Smile )

I can't see it but based on that description I'll say T con cable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: