Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Remodeling the theater - Anyone tried Coaster Seating??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Remodeling the theater - Anyone tried Coaster Seating?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My project this summer is to completely redo my home theater, and once its done the one thing I plan to buy for it is some new home theater seating.

I have my eye on a set of 4 chairs from Coaster Seating, I'm looking at the stuff on Amazon because its free shipping.

Has anyone tried this brand of seating out? Anyone own some chairs by them and can tell me how they feel? I'm skeptical on buying chairs online since I can't put my rear in them to test them out...

They LOOK comfortable, but looks can be quite deceiving on furniture...

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this brand here?:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&keywords=home%20theater%20seating&linkCode=ur2&qid=1369923370&rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Ahome%20theater%20seating%2Cp_lbr_brands_browse-bin%3ACoaster%20Home%20Furnishings&rnid=2528832011&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20

Plug: Using the link above supports our forum at no cost to you!

They seem to sell a wide range of HT seating. Some of it looks identical to the Jaymar brand that I have (which is very comfortable). I wonder if it's rebranded? My google-fu isn't strong... couldn't find anything about that.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's the brand Kal, The seats I have picked are pictured below. They look really comfortable, and they have the cup holders (big requirement since there will no longer be a table for people to use anywhere in the room)

I'm going to probably buy them and try them out. If they aren't to my liking I could probably have a guy I know who does upholstery redo them, but in all likelihood I will probably love them compared to the worn out sleeper sofa I'm using right now.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look nice!

Cupholders are IMHO a huge requirement for me too. I couldn't live without them.

Those look like they have electric recline? I went with manual simply because it's so much faster to get in and out of. The electric is slooooooow. Maybe it's just me, but when you want to get up and out of the chair it seems odd to have to wait 10-15 seconds (or whatever it is) for the chair to go back to the upright position.

One benefit of electric recline is that it's easier to position the reclining spot in between the 2 or 3 available positions. Mine have notched positions that are either upright, half way reclined, or fully reclined. You can do 'in between' but some of in between spots don't hold well.

Kal

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I thought they had the "theater look" with the red leather. I don't think they are electric. Honestly I hope they aren't, that's just another outlet I have to install for them, and one other thing that I could see failing somewhere down the road.

I can't wait to get them installed and test drive them for hours Mr. Green

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that little black thing on the inside side was the up/down switch but I may be wrong as that's where they usually are. Confirm just to be sure I suppose.

Kal

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I figured that little black thing on the inside side was the up/down switch but I may be wrong as that's where they usually are. Confirm just to be sure I suppose.

Kal

Doing that right now Wink

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
One benefit of electric recline is that it's easier to position the reclining spot in between the 2 or 3 available positions. Mine have notched positions that are either upright, half way reclined, or fully reclined. You can do 'in between' but some of in between spots don't hold well.

And that is the one benefit I won't live without. I have two electric recliners in the center of my two rows, and manual seats in the flanking positions, and I love electric so much for that one reason. The speed isn't really an issue, IMHO. It only takes like 5 seconds or so from full recline to full upright. If I'm in a huge hurry for some reason, I can still get out of the chair without closing it.

My next chairs will be all electric. For me, now a requirement like cup holders.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not clear if they are electric or not. I guess either way its not a huge deal, the main thing is that they are comfortable. They look like they'll blow away any seat in a real theater, that's for sure Wink

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like some of those black thingies Kal sees might be the release latches for some brands - they have a cable coming out of them. This might be one of those things you buy one extra part, just-in-case...because when/if it breaks later, you won't be able to get it. Wrong brand, but the handle I saw...

http://www.amazon.com/Choice-Parts-Recliner-Release-Exposed/dp/B006RAVT02/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1369935305&sr=1-3&keywords=home+theater+love+seat

The only thing bad about the chairs are the inability to snuggle with the Mrs. I do see there are some loveseats. Something maybe to consider.

bests,
Matt
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mrs. for me to worry about, I don't think one would let me get away with this hobby like I do anyway Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: