Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Best digital for $2Kish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Best digital for $2Kish? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Bought a nice 8500 Ultra from a customer in Portland, Or yesterday. He's replacing it with a digital in the $2Kish price range.

I didn't see his theatre, I just met up with his wife, and we discussed pros and cons. They just bought the house, the 8500 with a DVI card was installed by the previous owner. I'm linking him to this post, so he can choose to join the forum and ask questions, or just read what you people have seen, since I personally don't follow digitals.

Thanks for your input!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to my post in the snarky stewart thread about JVC on ebay. Grab the RS45 for $1900 and don't look back.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Go to my post in the snarky stewart thread about JVC on ebay. Grab the RS45 for $1900 and don't look back.

+1.

I've had mine for a year and have no regrets about switching. I love it. $1900+tax w/free shipping is a smokin' deal. It's a $3500 projector for damn near half price.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574906687&toolid=10001&campid=5336656890&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F140982610835

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I think the 2nd best deal (although out of their price range) would be the RS55 here:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574906687&toolid=10001&campid=5336656890&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FJVC-DLA-X70-4K-3D-DLA-X70R-THX-PROJECTOR-DLA-RS55-DLA-RS55E-DLA-RS55RBE-%2F360661754582%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_0%26hash%3Ditem53f91da2d6

It would add a CMS, 4K e-shift, and higher on/off CR. $3200 is outstanding for an RS55, but whether or not they'd be willing to spend that much is another story.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with your thinking Hog, I would guess that they aren't into HT and just want a decent pj.The fact that they just purchased the house and they immediately dumped the CRT makes me guess that they don't know much about HT in general.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the 55 is truly an excellent machine, and eShift, CMS and higher on/off are all very worthwhile features for an enthusiast, the delta between the refurb 45 and 55 is still about 50% more, or more to the point $1400 more. To a lot of people, that's a nice vacation. Hell, I'm an enthusiast, and while I'd love to have eShift, there are too many other things (both HT- and non-HT-related) I need/want to spend money on. Honestly, I think the problem is that the RS45 is so damn good at $1800.

That said, if the budget is there, it's very worthwhile. I'd love to have eShift. Want.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toally agree with both of you guys on all points, which is why I offered it as a "runner-up" choice. For the performance per dollar spent, that refurb RS45 is incredibly hard to beat. If $2K isn't a hard budget and they're willing to spend more, the RS55 has some noteworthy upgrades that will have a notable impact on PQ as you guys pointed out. But as I always say, the value proposition is different for everyone - it depends on their disposable income (and their willingness to spend it on the item in question), what kind of theater space they have, their sensitivity to various PQ metrics, etc. It certainly never hurts to have more than one option presented to you Smile

SC
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should this homeowner worry about lenses? That is, do these JVCs (or digitals in general) come with different lenses depending on screen width and throw length?

For example, I have a friend looking for a digital to replace an ancient EIKI he got from a university. Hard to describe his setup as his house is weird, but it is a ~22ft throw and he wants only a ~96" wide screen (16:9). He thinks most standard lenses would make an image way too wide at that length. Anyway, he might go as high as $2k...

Matt
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS45E-projection-calculator-pro.htm, 96" wide at 22' is at the narrow end of the RS-45's range, but it will just barely work.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
Should this homeowner worry about lenses? That is, do these JVCs (or digitals in general) come with different lenses depending on screen width and throw length?

For example, I have a friend looking for a digital to replace an ancient EIKI he got from a university. Hard to describe his setup as his house is weird, but it is a ~22ft throw and he wants only a ~96" wide screen (16:9). He thinks most standard lenses would make an image way too wide at that length. Anyway, he might go as high as $2k...

Matt

Generally, HT PJs under $12-15K only have one lens option to reduce costs. As a general rule - because of their smaller 0.6" or 0.7" chip size - LCoS and LCD machines tend to offer a greater zoom range (usually 2.0x) whereas DLP usually offers less (anywhere between 1.2-1.6). Once you venture above $15K you start to get multiple lens options that allow a projector to be installed in a wider range of throws. In the $2K range (unless you're talking used) you will not find multiple lens options for any projector that I'm aware of.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can just barely get a Sony qualia 004 which does different lenses. But I think the projector is so old now I don't know why anyone would pay $2000 for it. Maybe $800 at best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: