Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

So whose watching the new xbox reveal, whose getting one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenixed

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I would imagine a lot of 18 - 34 males would be the ages and sex of hardcore gamers, based on how the market games. Majority of them living a parent(s).

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenixed wrote:
I would imagine a lot of 18 - 34 males would be the ages and sex of hardcore gamers, based on how the market games. Majority of them living a parent(s).

I can't find any detailed demographics, but from my reading, I think you'd be surprised to find the average console gamer's age closer to 30, with their own income, and I don't think it skews as heavily male as one would think, either. I think the "in a parent's basement" stereotype is just that, and has little basis in reality.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't know and want to know, 4K video requirements for a PC video card would be a minimum of a Radeon HD 7750 (with current driver software) a NVidia GT640, or... (take a deep breath) Intel HD 4000 Integrated graphics.

Goes to show that 4K video really doesn't suck a lot of juice. Like I said, its mainly a material issue, not really much out there that the consumer market has access to.

So being that lowly Intel integrated graphics can run 4K video (You can even go as low as Intel HD 2500 if you really want to get down to the specs of it) It goes to show a 4K capable HTPC can easily be built for less than $500. Any prebuilt you buy is going to suck, that's the point of the low end PC market. Its enough for the average joe who browses the web and all, but those $400 pre builts really aren't anything more than a waste of money.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Steve says, you are comparing a plug and play device with something that needs to be built. Just as much as I dislike it when people say you can't have a high performance PC for an inexpensive price, I dislike the reverse as well. The fact is most people don't want to build a computer even though it isn't that hard.

Looking at the specs of this thing, what is missing that people would have wanted? I see a box that should have no problem with 1080p games and any other 1080p media that is out there. 4k is a non-starter at this point. It will take another 2 years or more to hit critical mass.
Phoenixed

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to see them hit a constant 1080p60 from all games instead of the usual 1080p30 we get now with games.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremetech has an article about the two new game consoles and 4k. I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Extremetech has an article about the two new game consoles and 4k. I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156790-xbox-one-and-ps4-analyzing-their-support-for-4k-video-and-gaming
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as suspected the backlash finally caused them to come to their senses. No need to be online to play and you can buy, sell trade, etc. games just as you do now with any of the other consoles. Next thing on Microsoft's to-do list needs should be reduce the price to $300 to $400 price ranges for rollout, then they should be golden.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/microsoft-reverses-always-internet-used-game-policies-xbox-211818635.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: