Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

So whose watching the new xbox reveal, whose getting one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: So whose watching the new xbox reveal, whose getting one? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Watching it right now, looks like a console I want, has a lot of new features, hopefully its more reliable! Razz

Pre-ordering one as soon as I can!

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it has a Blu-ray player so the games will be able handle some decent video and content now, so I'm at least moderately interested. If they announced that they were going to dump the requirement to spend $40-50/year on Live just to play an online game once a month, and instead were adopting the PS Online/PS Plus two-tiered model, I'd be very seriously interested.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm used my XBOX 360 a total of 20 hours vs being on my 3rd PS3 60gb ( all of em still work too! )

If I find one for cheap or near free then probably.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they are going to have user agreements on the games which means no reselling/used purchases, no sharing, and no renting. You buy the game and it can only be played on your profile. Been on board with xbox since inception but that will be a deal breaker for me to go to PS4.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erikjohn wrote:
Been on board with xbox since inception but that will be a deal breaker for me to go to PS4.

I feel your pain, but resistance may be futile. With the console platforms virtually eliminating piracy, the seem to have now decided that the rental and used games market is the only thing preventing them from making untold millions more than they're making already. Then there's the huge costs of creating the super-high-quality content for the next-gen console games. Between the two things, the push now seems to be selling us the $60 game, but requiring a bunch of DLC that's tied to the user's online account.

So, even if you buy the used game for half-price, you'll still need to pay the developer another $20 or $30 to have a full-functioning game. It's not uncommon anymore for the big franchises like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo, etc. to push $100 between the new game purchase price and DLC so you can play what "everybody else" is playing. That's a LOT of money.

A hard-core gamer friend of mine is sort of on the side of the studios in that he sees this huge loss of revenue for the studios, the bulk of which is going to Game Stop, Amazon, etc. He thinks the studios are well within their rights to create a system to recoup their losses. I don't disagree that they shouldn't try to get revenue wherever they should get it, but I'm not sure it will work, and worse, I'm not sure it won't backfire. Just like the people who buy used music, movies, or software, if they have to pay full price for new, maybe they'll just move on to something else.

Who wants to pay $400 for a new console, then spend upwards of $75 for games to play on it. I think that's where we're going, and if so, I'm out. I've purchased (and still own all of them) PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, and 360... I'm not sure if I see myself spending the coin on this new generation or just buying lots of used PS3 and 360 games for the kids and me to play instead - while it lasts, anyway.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more or less looking at getting the new console because I'm almost certain that the few games I do play will be updated & released to the new console. But more important than the games for the console, I'm looking at this xbox for the media functionality of it, and the interactive features.

I'm really curious to hear more on the video section of it, if it can do 4K resolutions or not. If not, I think that's going to be a big no no for Microsoft, since I am almost certain Sony will push 4K on their new PS4.

I'll be getting both, since I skipped out on the PS3. I regret it for the mere fact I don't have the 60GB Backwards compatible unit. If the PS4 turns out to be anything decent, its on the list, and I intend to do more of my gaming on it than the new Xbox.

As for the price, I don't think that's going to hinder anything at all. People are going to be more than willing to pay for the new console just to have it. Hell, its not even been announced when it will be available for preorder and theres a few jack in the boxes trying to sell the preorders for $1300.... And you know what? They have bids!!

Some people are wacked on this stuff, such as we are with home theater, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the same type of craze...

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erikjohn wrote:
Sounds like they are going to have user agreements on the games which means no reselling/used purchases, no sharing, and no renting. You buy the game and it can only be played on your profile. Been on board with xbox since inception but that will be a deal breaker for me to go to PS4.

I never bothered to create an XBOX 360 profile. Nor a PS3 one for that matter. I NEVER bother with the online non-sense. The only reason I even plugged my PS3 into the networking was to get CRACKLE stuff up and running. I like a stand alone game. For multiplayer I always preferred PC. You're right though. The game developers would love to close the used game ' Loop hole' bastages!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Crabb.

The hard core gamers will pay anything, but I doubt that is the meat of the market. Those people who would have bought a game used may not buy the game at all now. These companies think this is somehow lost revenue and it is for them, but my guess is most people have a budget for these purchases
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Demand curve. It's econ 101. There will always be people who are enthusiasts, crazy, have deep pockets, etc., and will continue to buy, but the number of people willing to spend more and more money will decline. They'll get more money, but from fewer people. They'll have no significant net increase to their bottom line, but they'll kill the used game market and piss off a lot of people in the process. That's my guess, anyway. I don't want to overstate, but if the market goes this way, it could honestly start a decline of the console gaming industry.

SC
Phoenixed

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a joke of a reveal. I already have a box that does everything, its called a PC.

Show me some games, not some crappy TV shows. You know games, the thing that made the original and 360 a killer console.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenixed wrote:
That was a joke of a reveal. I already have a box that does everything, its called a PC.

Show me some games, not some crappy TV shows. You know games, the thing that made the original and 360 a killer console.

To be fair, the 360 sucks. Even when it was new. There were quad core CPUs available to the masses, computers had 1GB ram as a standard while the 360 only had a triple core IBM, outdated DX9 NVidia graphics, no anti aliasing (god forbid if they did, since no 360 console would be able to run a game with AA) and the way the implemented the hard drives and threw a joke of a 20GB Hard drive for the launch consoles.

The PC was far more advanced at that time, and now its even more evident. Computers made these days come with 8-16GB of ram, 10 core CPUs are available, 12 core, hell they were a few years ago already.

They both are equally disappointing spec wise. The only good thing to come from the "one" Is that it is MS confirmed that it will support 4K video, something I think sony will not only have, but have done better than Microsoft.

I think with the Xbox one, Microsoft is trying to push interactivity, cloud gaming, and all-in-one entertainment integration. Games are more of an afterthought for this console.

I'm rather curious to see what the Sony PS4 is going to be capable of.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenixed wrote:

I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, a PC isn't interesting to those of us that don't want to deal with all the bull**** in the living room that goes along with a PC... Driver issues, updates, security software, mouse/keyboard, controller support, etc. etc. etc.

Which leads me to the other problem with PC...
Jeremy112 wrote:
The PC was far more advanced at that time, and now its even more evident. Computers made these days come with 8-16GB of ram, 10 core CPUs are available, 12 core, hell they were a few years ago already.

They had to hit a price point. Tell you what... Will you please build me a PC with 8-16GB of RAM, a 10-core CPU, BD playback (with all the software and codecs to play it flawlessly), and a video card capable of 4k? I'd like it for under $500 at retail, please.

SC
Phoenixed

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, a PC isn't interesting to those of us that don't want to deal with all the bull**** in the living room that goes along with a PC... Driver issues, updates, security software, mouse/keyboard, controller support, etc. etc. etc.

I agree with you, a computer is a complicated system. However from this "Reveal" it seems this "box" is trying to be an Apple TV not a GAME console.
Now at E3 they better bring the noise and help heal an already broken launch.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Phoenixed wrote:

Which leads me to the other problem with PC...
Jeremy112 wrote:

They had to hit a price point. Tell you what... Will you please build me a PC with 8-16GB of RAM, a 10-core CPU, BD playback (with all the software and codecs to play it flawlessly), and a video card capable of 4k? I'd like it for under $500 at retail, please.

SC

Sure thing, I've already built 2 computers this year under $450 that are 4K capable and have 16GB of ram, they have 8 core CPUs though, not 10 core (Those at least for intel are server class CPUs still), hard drives are literally worthless, and a blu ray drive can be had for less than $50 new.

Computers don't cost what they used to, that's for sure!

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Sure thing, I've already built 2 computers this year under $450 that are 4K capable and have 16GB of ram, they have 8 core CPUs though, not 10 core (Those at least for intel are server class CPUs still), hard drives are literally worthless, and a blu ray drive can be had for less than $50 new.

Can you please post that list of components?

Jeremy112 wrote:
Computers don't cost what they used to, that's for sure!

No doubt, but I don't understand how you're putting together a good machine for under $500. From my experience, it's more like $750-1000. If you can build a machine WITH an operating system (remember, we're talking about playing games here), and a good CPU and video card (that will handle 4K decently) for under $500, I'd like to see it.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be completely fair, I don't buy retail if I can help it. I'll buy refurbished off of ebay or used. New doesn't necessarily mean better (as far as reliability). I buy current components, but I look for the deals. I never pay full price for anything. Anyone that knows me can and will attest to that.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac & Curt know that Razz

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for components, just look up 16GB of DDR3 ram, I literally saw a brand new set go for $1 shipped on ebay a while ago when I was looking for parts to upgrade my main system. Serial ATA hard drives don't cost much, a 500GB drive goes for about $25-$35, A Core i7 CPU can be had for less than $90 (One of the 2 systems I built was used with a i7 with hyper threading, and the other was with an 8 core AMD opteron) The video cards were both Radeon HD series, I don't remember the models off the top of my head.

Its not impossible really. The operating systems themselves are fairly cheap as well. Anyone can get a Microsoft TechNet subscription for around $300 annual fee or so (depending on the package you select of course) and that enables you to get virtually any MS software they've made. For myself its a worthwhile investment since I have many systems and its overall cheaper.

Build Smart, not expensive Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be completely honest, I could take my HP DL140 G3 server, upgrade the video card, and it would be 4K capable, since the only thing limiting it from doing 4K is the video card. Its just a cheaper Quadro FX 1800 I threw into it when I bought the server. Its my home theater PC and by now, can probably be bought in the same configuration I have it in for less than $200. It might not be new, but it doesn't mean its not 4K capable.

Whats really needed for 4K is the material itself, there isn't much available yet. So I suppose 4K isn't the most important thing, but 10 years from now, people will be laughing at those still using 1080p

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Exactly. Demand curve. It's econ 101. There will always be people who are enthusiasts, crazy, have deep pockets, etc., and will continue to buy, but the number of people willing to spend more and more money will decline. They'll get more money, but from fewer people. They'll have no significant net increase to their bottom line, but they'll kill the used game market and piss off a lot of people in the process. That's my guess, anyway. I don't want to overstate, but if the market goes this way, it could honestly start a decline of the console gaming industry.

SC

I would be curious to know the age of most hardcore Xbox gamers. The only people I know with Xboxs are under 20 years of age. I can only imagine if parents have to pay the new price on a lot of games.

I can see my sister now "The game costs HOW MUCH?" "What happened to buying used games?" Followed by "I am not paying it. You can go outside and play."

I might add that my sister is someone who can afford the inflated prices, but she has her limits.

As for PCs, I don't think you can buy a pre-made PC for under $500. I bought my dad a computer last year for $400 and it sucked spec wise. If you are building, then I think it is close to possible. Of course that crappy Winblows sets you back. If Steam gets Linux running really well, then it will make the Winblows cost moot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: