Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Simple query about if a UPS is needed for JVC X55 projector

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abishek

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Simple query about if a UPS is needed for JVC X55 projector Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Got a new JVC DLA-X55 projector , the guy who installed it says despite what i think that the bulb problem is only in the older bulb type projector and that a ups is not need even if there is a sudden power outage nothing will happen to the projector.

As far as my understanding goes with frequent powercuts, and switching off the projector without a proper shutdown reduces the lamp life, Please advice Smile.

JVC DLA-X55R Home Theater Projector Review

As per the manual

Quote:
Turn off the power
Remote control: press the (D [STAND BY] button
Projector unit: press the £')/ I [STANDBY/ON] button
° While the “Are you sure you want to turn off?” message is displayed, press the button again.
° The lamp turns off, and the “STANDBY/ON” indicator switches from a green light to a red blinking light.
° After the light goes off, the fan will run for about 60 seconds to cool down the lamp (Cool-down mode)
Do not disconnect the power cable while cooling is in progress.
° After about 60 seconds, the “STAN DBY/ON” indicator switches from a blinking red to a solid red light.
“STAN DBY/ON” blinking (red) “STANDBY/ON” lights up (red)
In the Cool-down mode In standby state

CAUTION
° The power cannot be turned off within approximately 90 seconds after it has been turned on.
° After the light goes off, the fan will run for about 60 seconds to cool down the lamp (Cool-down mode)
Do not disconnect the power cable while cooling is in progress.
° The power cannot be turned on again while cooling is in progress (60 seconds).
° Pull out the power plug when the unit is not to be used for a prolonged period of time.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you turn off the projector via remote the fan continues to run for ~60 seconds. You need to not unplug it during this time. For the same reason, a sudden power outage is not a good thing.

Take a look here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34335

General consensus is that you can use a UPS but you better make sure it's a good one otherwise it'll probably do more harm than good. Unless you have frequent power outages during the times you like to use the projector, it's probably not worth it.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 'frequent' power outages, I'd absolutely use one. Also remember that the batteries in the UPSs last about 5 years, usually more like 7, but it's amazing how many people forget that UPSs have batteries in them.. that are dead... until they actually need to use the unit.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of the general consensus, I think I'm going to go ahead with a UPS. I've had, I think, four power-outages now. So far, no problems, but I still have a problem with it conceptually.

When the power is interrupted, it leaves a blistering hot lamp sitting inside a small, confined space, near plastic and heat-sensitive components. It's true that it's likely the projector was designed to tolerate such a scenario, but how often? At what long-term cost? Maybe it doesn't shorten the lamp life explicitly, but I have to turn it back on again, that's another lamp strike. Lamp strikes shorten the lamp life.

Sorry, but I'm not buying into the whole "more harm than good" idea. If line-interactive modified square-wave UPS'es were fine for my expensive computer with sensitive memory, processors, hard drives, etc., why wouldn't it be fine for a projector? The computer and projector both have very similar power supplies. That thread was derailed with all the bickering and nobody ever answered my question about how the cheaper UPSes were bad.

Yeah, I get that online true sine-wave UPS's are superior, and you have a mission-critical application like a server in a data center, and the budget to go along with it, then good commercial gear only makes sense. On the other hand, I don't see how this isn't a case of "something is better than nothing". Which is worse? Power interruption with red hot lamp in confined space? Or, cheap UPS for a few seconds (for a short interruption) or a minute or two until I can gracefully shut the projector down and let it cool properly?

The line to my projector runs right through my equipment room. I'm going to cut the line and install an outlet on the run from the panel, a plug on the run to the projector, and put the UPS between on a piece of OSB on the ceiling joists.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
abishek

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know which UPS you end up buying SC ... I'll be curious!

Kal

nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Yeah, I get that online true sine-wave UPS's are superior, and you have a mission-critical application like a server in a data center, and the budget to go along with it, then good commercial gear only makes sense. On the other hand, I don't see how this isn't a case of "something is better than nothing". Which is worse? Power interruption with red hot lamp in confined space? Or, cheap UPS for a few seconds (for a short interruption) or a minute or two until I can gracefully shut the projector down and let it cool properly?

Cheers,
SC

With my RS2, when I tried a "medium" priced APC UPS that output a square wave. The projector would shut down and make a horrible buzzing noise. The fan would not run when in this state. Maybe the newer models are better....

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:
With my RS2, when I tried a "medium" priced APC UPS that output a square wave. The projector would shut down and make a horrible buzzing noise. The fan would not run when in this state. Maybe the newer models are better....

Yeah, I was reading where where some of the newer power supplies apparently won't work with the older stepped wave UPSes.

This APC article talks about some of the issues with the active PFC power supplies:
http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/RMUZ-7DTKRC/RMUZ-7DTKRC_R1_EN.pdf

I'm not sure if that's the issue with the JVC, but it sounds reasonable given the behavior and some of what I read around the web about newer Energy Star computers and other devices.

I think I'm going to try this one:
CyberPower CP850PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 850VA 510W PFC Compatible Mini-Tower

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP850PFCLCD.html

The product page says this about the power supply issue:
Quote:
CyberPower’s PFC Sinewave UPS Systems with pure sine wave output solves the critical compatibility issues of non-sine wave UPS products working with computing systems using Active PFC power supplies (ENERGY STAR 5.0). With PC manufacturers adopting high-efficiency Active PFC power supplies—your equipment may be at risk. CyberPower’s innovative PFC Sinewave UPS is an affordable solution that ensures equipment utilizing Active PFC power supplies do not unexpectedly shutdown or experience harmful stress when switching from AC power to UPS battery power.

For $117, I don't think I can go wrong. I'll try it, and if for some reason it doesn't work, I'll just use it on my computer setup, which only has an older APC BackUPS. The CyberPower should power the JVC for least 4-5 minutes, so even if I wasn't right there, should be plenty of time to shut down.

APC doesn't have a sine-wave UPS priced anywhere near the CyberPower.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes Steve. For $120 or so it's certainly a nice piece of mind in case of power outages. The good news is that the VA rating doesn't have to very high. You just want enough time to be able to shut down the projector gracefully (30 seconds to pick up the remote) and then about another 60-90 seconds for the projector fan to cool it off.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Let us know how it goes Steve. For $120 or so it's certainly a nice piece of mind in case of power outages.

That's what I'm thinking. Even when I'm not watching it, it should provide some protection that isn't there now.

kal wrote:
The good news is that the VA rating doesn't have to very high. You just want enough time to be able to shut down the projector gracefully (30 seconds to pick up the remote) and then about another 60-90 seconds for the projector fan to cool it off.

It's even better than that… The heavy current draw will only be as only as long as it takes me to confirm shutdown. Once the lamp is out, that minute or two waiting for the fan to cool it off is a massively lower power draw.

Often times, when our power does go out, it's only for 30 seconds… I assume it's a breaker resetting or something. Depending on weather and conditions, I'd probably just wait 60 seconds before I even tried to turn it off.

I'll keep you guys posted.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

Gives you enough time such that you won't come running out of the bathroom with your pants around your ankles, stumbling around in the dark, to quickly shut down the projector. Wink

We're in a new development and power used to go off/on like that about once every few weeks (I got really sick of resetting 15 clocks around the house). The good news is that it only seemed to happen during the day when they're working on the grid - never at night when I was using the projector. Now that the neighbourhood's almost done, it rarely happens anymore.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: