Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Media player comes up in 480p sometimes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottJ

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Media player comes up in 480p sometimes Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Dune HD Base 3.0 media player, connected to a Denon receiver, then to a Radiance XE, then a Samsung plasma. All connections are HDMI.

Sometimes when I power everything up, the Dune is outputting only 480p instead of the usual 1080p. A power cycle of the Dune fixes this.

It seems to depend on what order I turn on the devices. If the Dune comes up first, before everything else, it sends 480p.

This never happened in the 3 years before I installed the Radiance into the signal path.

Is there something I can set in the EDID settings to fix this? Currently the Radiance's video EDID is set to default.
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fix, but maybe a work around would be to get one of those ~$50 EDID emulators that always outputs a specific EDID...?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp.jsp?prod_id=8005

I was looking at them a while ago thinking about if I could make a ~$200 soft edge blend using shareware and a funny little device...I think it could work, but didn't pursue it.

cheers,
Matt
ScottJ

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
Not a fix, but maybe a work around would be to get one of those ~$50 EDID emulators that always outputs a specific EDID...?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp.jsp?prod_id=8005

But isn't that exactly what the Radiance's EDID settings do?
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should do up to two things with the Radiance.

1) Manually set the output modes. Most likely you have the Radiance still set to "auto" mode. Auto reads the EDID off the TV to decide what resolution the TV wants. You should set the Radiance to output 1080p 60Hz when it gets any signal type input. If your TV supports 1080p 24Hz then you should set te Radiance to output 1080p 24Hz when 24Hz is input to the Radiance. This should fix your problem and works fine with my DUNE Radiance combo.

2) If you still have trouble you can manually configure the input EDID on the Radiance as well. YOu can configure the input to only send EDID data for the resolutions you want supported. If you only want 1080p than set only 1080p to "yes." You can also specify YCbCr 444 in case your DUNE tries to output RGB instead.

You do not need anymore hardware as the Radiance can fix all these issues internally. Don't get an EDID programmer.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
ScottJ

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frustrating thing is, it's not always repeatable. Sometimes it comes up at 1080p as desired.

I did your first suggestion: set all inputs/all memories/all modes to output 1080p60. This didn't work; I still got 480p sometimes.

I then tried the video EDID to set only 1080p60 and YCbCr 444 to Yes, everything else to No. This seemed to work; always came up 1080p.

But then I switched video EDID back to Default, and it's still working. I can't get it to screw up to 480p again. So I'm confused as to what fixed it.

But thank you for the help!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What firmware are you running on your Base 3.0? Version 121018_0846 is very good: http://dune-hd.com/eng/support/firmware_zone/21

Really the Dune should not change resolutions on its own unless you have the DUNE set to "Auto." Go into your DUNE setup menu > Video > Video Mode and make sure it's set to 1080p 59.94Hz. Then go to "Auto Framerate" and select 24/50/60Hz. This will result in the DUNE always outputting 1080p 60Hz unless the native frame rate of the file being played is 24 or 50Hz in which case it will change scan rates automatically. Use 59.94 Hz as your default for the Dune because it makes the Dune interface work fastest. With 24Hz, there is lag going through the menus.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you should not run the Dune into the Denon receiver as this may alter the video and result in lower quality. Your signal chain should be as follows.

DUNE (or any source) > RadianceXE > HDMI Output 1 > TV
DUNE (or any source) > RadianceXE > HDM2 Output 1 (audio only) > Denon Receiver

Use the Radiance as your video switcher and run one HDMI output to the receiver for audio only.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
ScottJ

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check the Dune video settings tonight but I believe it's already set to 1080p59. I disabled 24p because the visual difference is indistinguishable to me, but it cuts off the beginning of the 20th Century Fox fanfare when I watch Star Wars. Smile

I tried using the Radiance as the video switcher (as the manual recommends) but that resulted in an unacceptable audio issue with TiVo. After any cueing with the TiVo (skip ahead, rewind, etc), there was a delay of about 5 seconds before the audio would return. When I connect everything through the receiver first, that delay is less than 1 second.

This Dune 480p issue also occurred when using the Radiance as the switcher.

My Denon AVR-1713 doesn't do any video processing, just passes the signal through.

I tried to figure out a way I could wire things up so the TiVo went direct to the receiver, while other devices went through the Radiance first, but can't see a way to make that work.
ScottJ

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Dune was already set to 1080p59.
ScottJ

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware is 120815_2150. (Change log for the one newer firmware shows nothing of interest to me.)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottJ wrote:
I tried using the Radiance as the video switcher (as the manual recommends) but that resulted in an unacceptable audio issue with TiVo. After any cueing with the TiVo (skip ahead, rewind, etc), there was a delay of about 5 seconds before the audio would return. When I connect everything through the receiver first, that delay is less than 1 second.

I tried to figure out a way I could wire things up so the TiVo went direct to the receiver, while other devices went through the Radiance first, but can't see a way to make that work.

With TV you aren't getting any benefit from using HDMI audio. In fact, HDMI has a lot of jitter, far more than coax or spdif digital audio. For sources not using HD audio with HDMI you are actually better off running coax or spidf. What I suggest is running HDMI from the TiVo to the Radiance and also running coax or spidf directly to the Denon for audio. This will give you the best possible audio and video without the HDMI resync delay in the audio.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottJ wrote:
Firmware is 120815_2150. (Change log for the one newer firmware shows nothing of interest to me.)

I certainly wouldn't go by their change log to document all their changes. Everyone is using 121018_0846 now. Why would you want to stay on an older beta anyway?

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: