Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to XP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to XP? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to Windows XP? Will the image or sound be better using MPC-HC on either system?

I am asking because I have to reinstall windows. I noticed that the system is clipping BTB but don’t know if that has to do with W7 or the fact that I use HDMI out (going through a moome box to a Barco 1209). I used vga output before when I was using XP. I also heard good things about MadVR which don’t support W7. I have a 64-bit system, will there be any problems running a 32-bit XP?

Best regards
Phoenixed

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna build a new pc then go with W7 if you just need to refresh your current one save the money and stick with XP.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP is a great system. Capable, lightweight, reliable. That's a lot of why everybody hated Vista so much -- it was none of those.

But remember XP support is ending soon. If you don't care about updates and virus patches, no worries. But if you want current patches &etc, XP is out of luck as of next year. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
XP is a great system. Capable, lightweight, reliable.

Sorry, this makes me LOL! Only in the world of unreliable bloatware like Vista can XP be called "lightweight" or "reliable".

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to XP? Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to Windows XP? Will the image or sound be better using MPC-HC on either system?

I am asking because I have to reinstall windows. I noticed that the system is clipping BTB but don’t know if that has to do with W7 or the fact that I use HDMI out (going through a moome box to a Barco 1209). I used vga output before when I was using XP. I also heard good things about MadVR which don’t support W7. I have a 64-bit system, will there be any problems running a 32-bit XP?

Best regards

When does it clip BTB? What are you playing and which player are you using?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to XP? Reply with quote

[/quote]When does it clip BTB? What are you playing and which player are you using?[/quote]

I noticed it when I use DVE and the pluges for brightness settings. The outer bars don´t show. I tried it with Powerdvd, MPC-HC and VLC. Currently I´m using Windows 7, HDMI out going to a moome box and then to my Barco. Before i got the moome box i used VGA out directly to the PJ, the same players but Windows XP and I could se the outer bars.

Don´t know if it has to do with the HDMI out or Windows 7. The players and moome are set to 0 - 255

Thanks for all your answers.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to XP? Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

I noticed it when I use DVE and the pluges for brightness settings. The outer bars don´t show. I tried it with Powerdvd, MPC-HC and VLC. Currently I´m using Windows 7, HDMI out going to a moome box and then to my Barco. Before i got the moome box i used VGA out directly to the PJ, the same players but Windows XP and I could se the outer bars.

Don´t know if it has to do with the HDMI out or Windows 7. The players and moome are set to 0 - 255

Try setting the players and moome to 16-235

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to XP? Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
I noticed that the system is clipping BTB but don’t know if that has to do with W7 or the fact that I use HDMI out (going through a moome box to a Barco 1209).

I have the same issue with BTB and W7. I never had the issue with XP Home. This was a fresh build (i3 2100) so I chalked it up to being cheap and using the on board Intel GPU.

I'm curious what you find out.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

Sorry, this makes me LOL! Only in the world of unreliable bloatware like Vista can XP be called "lightweight" or "reliable".

SC

LOL!!! Mr. Green

To quote the great James Coburn in Payback:
"That is just mean, man." Smile
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any advantages using Windows 7 compared to XP? Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Murillo wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Try setting the players and moome to 16-235

Arrow What AR said......

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/calibrate-your-system/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

SC

LOL!!! Mr. Green
To quote the great James Coburn in Payback:
"That is just mean, man." Smile

I also have to wonder how much personal experience SC had with XP. I used it on a daily basis for many years, and had basically zero problems.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Gary, I didn't have to many problems with XP. On the other hand, it is no where near as good as Linux is today. Linux is free and continuously evolving.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I also have to wonder how much personal experience SC had with XP. I used it on a daily basis for many years, and had basically zero problems.

I've used Windows a LOT over the years, Gary. Not just on personal machines, but also helping support others' machines in mostly-Windows-based production environments. My opinions have been formed over several decades of using Macs, Windows, and several flavors of UNIX including SGI doing all kinds of media and content production.

My sense of it is that if you just used a Windows XP box, left it mostly stock, and didn't do a lot of installing/uninstalling (especially hardware), most people found XP quite reliable. But, use it in a production environment, with lots hardware drivers, lots of software install/uninstalls, laptops with accessories, and even XP was a pain in the dick.

Heck, even "rot" was still around in XP. Most Windows users just accepted the fact that their one- or two-year old Windows machine was so slow it would need to be replaced or re-loaded.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windoze's biggest failing across all their OS's is the gradual bit rot. Lots of installs/uninstalls build up over time and the system gets problematic. Unix OS's don't have that problem, and I doubt Macs do either.

My foggy memory is that I ran my personal XP system for about 5 years, with God knows how many hundreds of installed/uninstalled packages. (I installed lots of experimental stuff in VMs so I didn't pollute my working environment.) I don't remember if I ever reinstalled the OS. Other than that most of the XP systems I ran on were new-in-production servers so they hadn't had a chance to "spoil."
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally made it work by setting the dynamic output range in Catalyst Control Center to limited 16-235 and pixel output to
YCbCr 4:2:2 since I read that its better than 4:4:4. Moome is still set to 0-255. Now I can se BTB when i put in the DVE disc. I haven´t experimented with the moome card settings, to get the best colours should I let it stay on 0-255 or change it to 16-235?

Best regards
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Windoze's biggest failing across all their OS's is the gradual bit rot. Lots of installs/uninstalls build up over time and the system gets problematic. Unix OS's don't have that problem, and I doubt Macs do either.

My foggy memory is that I ran my personal XP system for about 5 years, with God knows how many hundreds of installed/uninstalled packages. (I installed lots of experimental stuff in VMs so I didn't pollute my working environment.) I don't remember if I ever reinstalled the OS. Other than that most of the XP systems I ran on were new-in-production servers so they hadn't had a chance to "spoil."

macs dosen't have the bit rot problems like windows

i have owned multiple mac and pc computers over the years so i can speak from experience

i loved xp of all the windows os windows 7 is second

last windows xp pc i used had xp media center edition and loved it Smile

vista SUCKED and still does Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

i still have my install disc but it hs seen the lest amount of installs compared to my other os install discs

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
To be honest Gary, I didn't have to many problems with XP. On the other hand, it is no where near as good as Linux is today. Linux is free and continuously evolving.

In more flavors than you could count but sure it has evolved.
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but...linux for htpc?? Really?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
but...linux for htpc?? Really?

Sure, why not? If my windows 7 HTPC wasn't running so damn smooth (Literally has not been rebooted, in over 4 months, including the ignored updates that keep wanting to install) I just can't bring myself to tamper with the OS.

I have been using my HTPC like this with no speed issues whatsoever. To be fair I haven't browsed the web with it really, and all it has installed on it are my HTPC programs and the drivers that go for my HTPC cases knobs/buttons.

So in the end, since my W7 OS seems to be working like it should for once, I've just left the HTPC be. You guys would probably be surprised to see how long its been since this HP all in one with W7 has been last rebooted Wink

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing a story from the Win95 (?) days. It had been out a while when somebody reported a crash. Turned out some counter maxed out after something like 30 days and consistently caused a crash. But nobody had been able to keep Windows up long enough to hit it before that. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: