Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Pioneer SX-1280 vintage stereo receiver 185wpc - SOLD

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Pioneer SX-1280 vintage stereo receiver 185wpc - SOLD Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have my dads Pioneer SX-1280 stereo receiver up for sale today. This beauty features 185 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load with no more than .03% Total Harmonic Distortion. The electronics have been fully gone through, all electrolytic capacitors replaced with new genuine Japanese nichicon capacitors, as well as some Elnas. All driver transistors in the amplifiers have been replaced with new old stock drivers, same goes for the power supply, entirely rebuilt. DC offset & Idle current adjustments done, and are better than the service manual recommends. Runs ice cold when the volume is cranked, they just don't make them like this anymore.

A rare chance to get one of these rebuilt, not just someones attic find. I would like $SOLD shipped anywhere in the continental 48 USA states, fully insured, doubled boxed, the works. Comes with a 7 day money back DOA warranty, or if you prefer I can do any repairs if necessary. There are 35 photos below for your viewing pleasure. PM or post if interested.

RECEIVER HAS SOLD

Last edited by Jeremy112 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Nice work!!!

How many Hours are put in the restoration?

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
WOW!!! Nice work!!!

How many Hours are put in the restoration?

Nashou

Thanks Nash, Together my dad and I have about 200 hours total, it took 3 defunct receivers to make one very nice looking & working one (this one), and the other 2 were also returned to working condition, but didn't have nearly as good cosmetics.

It was a lot of work, but it was worth it. This is the best working SX-1280 I have had the joy of using, and it really has a nice sound. This one here is the 5th or 6th one we have had, probably the 150th pioneer receiver in the same series that we've worked on, but this one is probably the nicest overall.

Plus it makes great eye candy while listening to some sweet vinyl Mr. Green Cool

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the 'Adaptor' input/output for?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet its for a Quad decoder...?

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I bet its for a Quad decoder...?

I don't see what you'd do with it, save for use it with two different receivers, then. I'd say more like for an EQ or DBX noise reduction box or something; then you can switch it in and out of the signal path with the switch on the front.

Regardless, it's a beautiful restoration. Other than a few tiny nicks or the corrosion on the volume knob area, it's damn near perfect. Gotta be rare to see one in this condition.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptor input output is a Noise reduction unit I/O basically. Never used the input, never needed it, but its there for those that do Smile

And thanks for the compliment crabb, I would agree that its pretty rare, though a non working one in mint condition passed me by on ebay at the tune of $1000+ shipped.

Also the knob with the corrosion on the trim piece, that's the tuning knob, the rarest, and most expensive knob on the unit. A mint one can fetch up to $150 + shipping

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pissed now that I sold one on eBay for $660 a couple of years ago. Mind you, I paid the recycler $10 for it. Very Happy Not as nice as this one, but decent enough.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I'm pissed now that I sold one on eBay for $660 a couple of years ago. Mind you, I paid the recycler $10 for it. Very Happy Not as nice as this one, but decent enough.

Someone got a deal there, Curt. Heck you and the guy who bought it both did Razz

Mind you, the time it took to restore this unit, plus the cost of the parts, especially the NOS parts because they are very hard to find since you have to wait 'til someone has them; makes the price justifiable, for both me as the seller, and for the buyer, since the buyer is basically getting a new unit as far as working condition goes. Worry free operation costs a lot these days, but its worth it Smile

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, do you change some of the lights to LED? That Innovative Audio place does up here. Not sure how far they go, but I know they do it to some VU/power meters. Personally I like the warm glow of incandescents on the dial, but would have no preference how a power indicator or other light was lit.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was this sold? 1979'ish?

My Dad has a Technics of that vintage. Other than to clean a couple of times, It's been in his office since he bought it, on the same shelf, never moved. I have no doubt it doesn't have a single scratch on it... Probably pristine. I'm sure it's nothing like the Pioneer, but does the Technics stuff have any collectable value?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of it does. The high end SA series can go for good money, but the really collectable stuff is Sansui, Pioneer, McIntosh certain Harman Hardon stuff, and there was a HUUGE Kenwood similar to Jeremy's Pioneer that I'd imagine is worth some $$ now.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Some of it does. The high end SA series can go for good money, but the really collectable stuff is Sansui, Pioneer, McIntosh certain Harman Hardon stuff, and there was a HUUGE Kenwood similar to Jeremy's Pioneer that I'd imagine is worth some $$ now.

The biggest kenwoods I am aware of are the KR-9600 (former proud owner of 3 of them, one mint and I wish I still had the damn thing) and there were one or 2 other models but I don't quite remember the model numbers.

McIntosh... its all high end so no need to go there.. Sansui made some gorgeous units, the G9000, the G22000, and G33000 (fetches up to $7,000 in pristine condition), Technics, I know they make some good all analog units, I haven't personally owned any, but they aren't bad units by any means. Toshiba actually made a receiver that had an identical model to one of the technics, Toshiba Model SA-7150, the first Digital readout on any receiver of the day.

And curt, as for the lighting, I replaced all the original bulbs with brand new matching incandescents, since I too like the warm original look of the lighting, nothing quite like it. Smile

Crabb, I think this one was made in 79, if memory serves correct, these units first appeared in 77, and sold through 82 (I think pioneer stopped production in 79 or somewhere around there however.)

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't talk to me about the G33000. I had one in for repair when I owned the repair shop. Dec 1991, I remember it well. I DROOOOOOLLLLLED over that beast! $7K? Not surprising! I'd pay $1500 in a heartbeat...Smile
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was my restoration project from tonight.

Very Happy

photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  412.34 KB
 Viewed:  27716 Time(s)

photo.JPG

One Smart Dog!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: