Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Plasma Will Live on !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
the big E wrote:
Jeramy here is a link on amazon you may be intrested in
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CE0594?pc_redir=1408942357&robot_redir=1
Hint its the tv you want Smile

And do you see how well it holds its value? I've never seen one in person, but I've seen similar Pioneer plasmas, I have one myself, not as nice, and not full HD, but I like it, and it throws one hell of a big 61" 1366x768 image! I don't use it for movie viewing though, it's used as a interactive jukebox display, since I have a touch overlay on it.

I agree with you that LCD is still in the sub-standard range for video quality, but I wouldn't mind picking up a nice full HD touchscreen in the 47-55" range, and those all seem to be LCD. (if I stick with a NEC or even a HP I should be able to find a half way decent one though Smile )

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea I looked at the other listing on there and even with my income I still couldn't get it

Why you ask it is because I would not be able to pay the bills or do anything else for that matter

Kinda like wanting a dodge viper its never going to happen

What plasma sets that's in the house now are panasonic which are good but not pioneers halo set Smile

I would lean more towards nec then hp(they burned me on a desktop that they lied about fixing even though I told them exactly what was bad) not happening again)if I were to get one though(ps I work on computers)
I have seen a few gateway brand plasma sets(at least i think they were plasma) not bad for a computer company

Just a word of warning plasma displays do get uneven wear and image retention despite the advances that was put into the tech(the plasma I took out of my bedroom is proof of that for the uneven wear from watching 4:3 shows on it over time)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:
Oh yea I looked at the other listing on there and even with my income I still couldn't get it

Why you ask it is because I would not be able to pay the bills or do anything else for that matter

Kinda like wanting a dodge viper its never going to happen

What plasma sets that's in the house now are panasonic which are good but not pioneers halo set Smile

I would lean more towards nec then hp(they burned me on a desktop that they lied about fixing even though I told them exactly what was bad) not happening again)if I were to get one though(ps I work on computers)
I have seen a few gateway brand plasma sets(at least i think they were plasma) not bad for a computer company

Just a word of warning plasma displays do get uneven wear and image retention despite the advances that was put into the tech(the plasma I took out of my bedroom is proof of that for the uneven wear from watching 4:3 shows on it over time)

Gateway... Gateway went out of business for rebadging LG/SAMPO plasmas as their own brand, and having them all fail on them.

I bought a Gateway 42" Plasma "HTDV" 1024x1024 resolution from a friend back when that thing was still worth $600 used. It was the 2nd set gateway had given him because the first one took a crap in about 8 months of use (it got too hot, and you could burn yourself on the back cover with it). The second set lasted about a year and a half, and that's the one I got. I used it the way it was, which the image would go out randomly, a thwack to the back of it would get it going again. Used it that way for over a year before I ditched it on ebay.

And I know plasmas can get burn in. My 61" Pioneer is proof of that, it has COLOR icon burn in on the left upper corner (from a desktop computer running windows 2000 professional) It sucks, but when using the monitor for video only, its not really noticeable, and it still throws a hell of an image for the burn in on it.

If ya ever get a viper, let me know Razz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only seen them used at the local collage I go to(and only seen one running once) yes they do put off a lot of heat I will agree with you there

My plasma may end up being used as a computer monitor as I hate the uneven wear to use it for video(brownish whites)

Forget the viper the charger/challenger hellcat is the next dodge super cars

Me I am going for a 2015 escalade when the prices drop(I tow a trailer some times)

My plan would be to drop a hellcat engine in my 79 Chrysler cordoba along with the new tranny he he Smile

FYI I have the money ready to pay for the motherboards just shoot me the invoice

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend against using any plasma as a computer monitor. When treated normally, newer plasmas shouldn't experience burn-in when used with video material. Exceptions such as watching mostly 4:3 material or a only single channel with a static logo or a constant ticker tape will obviously cause burn-in.

Computer desktops contain a myriad of static images that would almost assuredly cause burn-in on even a pioneer 9G Kuro. Using a plasma in this manner is a recipe for disaster.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
I would highly recommend against using any plasma as a computer monitor. When treated normally, newer plasmas shouldn't experience burn-in when used with video material. Exceptions such as watching mostly 4:3 material or a only single channel with a static logo or a constant ticker tape will obviously cause burn-in.

Computer desktops contain a myriad of static images that would almost assuredly cause burn-in on even a pioneer 9G Kuro. Using a plasma in this manner is a recipe for disaster.

Couldn't agree more Hog, but since mine already got that abuse, may as well finish it off that way Wink

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
HogPilot wrote:

Couldn't agree more Hog, but since mine already got that abuse, may as well finish it off that way Wink

That's certainly one way of doing it!!

SC
Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought new plasma's had built in protection against burn in. I know I leave mine on PS3 home page for hours and no issues after 2 years. My old 2004 plasma would keep the ps3 logo after only 20 minutes for quite a while after I changed sources.

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green wrote:
I thought new plasma's had built in protection against burn in. I know I leave mine on PS3 home page for hours and no issues after 2 years. My old 2004 plasma would keep the ps3 logo after only 20 minutes for quite a while after I changed sources.

Newer plasmas have cell designs/structures that are much more resistant to both IR and burn-in. My Kuros also have an orbiter that shifts the image one pixel at a time up, down, left, and right. This helps prevent static logos or static images from causing IR or burn-in. I've never experienced either phenomena on my two Kuros.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
Mr. Green wrote:

Newer plasmas have cell designs/structures that are much more resistant to both IR and burn-in. My Kuros also have an orbiter that shifts the image one pixel at a time up, down, left, and right. This helps prevent static logos or static images from causing IR or burn-in. I've never experienced either phenomena on my two Kuros.

My Pioneer monitor also has the oribiter function, as well as inversion of the colors, they don't do anyone any good if no one ever turns them on though, and no one ever did Sad

I can show you COLOR icon burn in - that's how long it was left ont he same screen Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panny sets also have the orbiter feature

I use media center with both

The one I used in my bedroom has 4:3 wear and never had any image retention (odd but true)

The one in the living room had been changed from movie to standard(not my doing) hence the retention

The pixel orbiter is on on both sets yet it is still a risk

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:

The one I used in my bedroom has 4:3 wear and never had any image retention (odd but true)

The one in the living room had been changed from movie to standard(not my doing) hence the retention

The orbiter won't do anything for 4:3 wear, it only shifts the image 5-10 pixels in each direction, which isn't nearly enough to compensate for long-term 4:3 use. Using a 16:9 plasma for mostly 4:3 material will inevitably cause uneven wear/burn-in.

Certain usage patterns - such as primarily watching one or two channels that have large static logos, or cranking up the contrast to increase light output (within the confines of the ABL circuit) -will increase the likelihood of IR and/or burn-in. I think your average person shouldn't have problems avoiding this, but for those with more "specific" viewing habits, plasma isn't the best tech for them (unless they're willing to accept the eventual burn-in that will occur).

SC
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
the big E wrote:

The orbiter won't do anything for 4:3 wear, it only shifts the image 5-10 pixels in each direction, which isn't nearly enough to compensate for long-term 4:3 use. Using a 16:9 plasma for mostly 4:3 material will inevitably cause uneven wear/burn-in.

Certain usage patterns - such as primarily watching one or two channels that have large static logos, or cranking up the contrast to increase light output (within the confines of the ABL circuit) -will increase the likelihood of IR and/or burn-in. I think your average person shouldn't have problems avoiding this, but for those with more "specific" viewing habits, plasma isn't the best tech for them (unless they're willing to accept the eventual burn-in that will occur).

It was mixed but mostly 4:3

I could possibly work it out but it would take a while plus I haven't had the time to mess with it ha ha

I swapped the plasma in my bedroom with a samsung dlp set its the same resolution so other then a smoother pic not much difference minus the negatives of the plasma tech

I still prefer plasma over LCD anyday

On the other plasma set I changed the setting back to what I had it at so it shouldn't have any more issues(HOPEFULLY no one will mess with the settings)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to revive an old thread Very Happy I just bought a Pioneer Kuro KRP500A. I sold my Sony UHD tv as fast as I could! My opinion: the pioneer has perfect blacks, very much depth in the image and realism. It is well build with nice features like a metal remote. It has a pure mode, it can be calibrated even the colours with a CMS. It is without doubt the best television I have ever had Smile And the price? Well now in 2017 the 2009 model is pretty cheap Wink

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good reason to sell your qled, laserled or other blue led tv Wink Eye damage in say 8 years?
https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/122-a81/

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: