Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How to "Feather" One Color to Another

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: How to "Feather" One Color to Another Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a media room with a theater setup on one side. The room color is carried throughout except for the screen wall which is black.

I now would like to paint the ceiling and soffits between the PJ and screen wall black also.

How do you feather or transition from the black to the room color ?

I work well with pictures Confused
View user's photo album (33 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could always do it afterwards in photoshop Very Happy

Feathering is ususaly done with a spray but that would get everywhere. Spray paint likes to travel on the wind.

How about trying a brush? Lay the lighter color over the darker color and pic up some of it with a dry brush. Clean the brush as you go along. Don't drag the brush so mush as stipple it in a tap, tap, tap, motion. Do a fade away where you take off more and more paint untill you are into the next color.

I'm no pro but I've been watching home improvment shows for 22 years and I'm guessing this would work.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to "Feather" One Color to Another Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
I have a media room with a theater setup on one side. The room color is carried throughout except for the screen wall which is black.

I now would like to paint the ceiling and soffits between the PJ and screen wall black also.

How do you feather or transition from the black to the room color ?

I work well with pictures Confused

i wouldn't feather - well, if i did, i'd paint the two colours until they met at the mid point and while both wet, rub back and forth unevenly with a rag. or you can "splotch" back and forth from each colour.

but i wouldn't feather as everything in your room (based on your album pictures) shows clean lines. feathering would stand out.

i would paint the soffit (bulkhead) dark and stop at the corners i seem to see positioned above you left and right main speakers. i would paint the entire ceiling the same as the soffit.

you spelling of colour may vary.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint the ceiling and maybe the vertical sides of the soffit in black.....I see your problem thou...you don't really need/want for the WHOLE ceiling to be black, as i can see from your gallery pictures the room extends a fairway beyond the recliners.....

if it were me (and I'm a building designer...) I would be putting in a faux bulkhead...well a timber framed bulkhead that's sole purpose is to 'frame' your seating area, inline with the point near your rack where the existing bulkhead kicks out would be an obvious place to start.

It is hard to see what's beyond this as you may not have much more space behind.

anyway thats my 2cents

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I love about this board there's a professional for every occasion.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewbieDAN wrote:

if it were me (and I'm a building designer...) I would be putting in a faux bulkhead...well a timber framed bulkhead that's sole purpose is to 'frame' your seating area,

Dan,

That was part of my initial room design. I left it out fearing the room would close in due to the low ceiling height (7'-8"). Might have to reconsider it though.

The room is basically open concept, 55ft. screen wall to back wall.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
paw

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just stop at the black track lighting? I think it would look fine with a clean, straight line. I'd put the line so the track is inside the black painted area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: