Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

NETFLIX Native format..??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: NETFLIX Native format..?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have spend some time trying to find some information about the material i'm streaming from Netflix, like framerate color space and so on.

Today i called the Netflix support, they know all about Apple tv and others, but nothing about what they are sending out themselves.

I would like to put the native format into my Radiance, and make all the converting and stuff there, but i really need to know what streaming device can do that, and i dont know what to look for.

Anyone here that have any useful information.. ? I was wondering if the new OPPO 103 will output Netflix in native format like it do with DVD and Blu ray..?

And am i the only one that would like test patterns on netflix. for checking contrast and brightness at least.. Rolling Eyes
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, there is no "native" resolution, because the content can be in one of dozens of different resolutions, frame rates, and codecs. Seriously, 'dozens of formats' is what I've read. I don't think you'd want it to output native even if you could, because it could be everything from 480p/24 to 1080p/30, and everything between. I doubt any streaming device would do that, because there is hardly anything that would work with it.

Here's the larger question: Why do you care so much? It's sh*tty, bit-starved streaming media that's just going to be 'decent' at best on a large-screen display. I'd recommend not worrying that much about it. If you're really worried about image fidelity, put in a Blu-ray.

SC

Last edited by ecrabb on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (10 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing is much better than guessing..

And i like to get the best out of my gear..

I have a JVC projector, its not perfect, but i still bother calibrating it to the best it can be. Ill like to apply same approach to my streaming..
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ecrabb that it's hard to know what format netflix is coming in with since the source files are not all the same. Any time I've had poor image quality, it tends to be older material. Whatever the format or quality of the source material, I think the quality of your set-top box or pc graphics will impact the output also. 95% of my viewing material is from netflix, and I am watching on my NEC PGXtra at 720p60. I used to use my samsung blu-ray player which was credited to have good upscaling, and I was generally pleased with the image. When the image quality was poor, it was difficult to know if it was the source material or my "slow" internet connection (5 Mbps at the best of times - certainly not on Friday night!!). I have since begun using the Sony Google TV and increased the internet speed to 20 Mbps. I honestly cannot say that I perceive an improvement in image quality with the speed increase. In fact, in my netflix settings, I can adjust the playback quality. I cannot see much difference between "Standard" quality at upto 0.7 GB per hour and "High" at upto 3 GB per hour. Is it my setup on the pj (poor convergence Confused ) or the fact I'm running 720p (would I notice a difference at 1080p??), or is the scaling on the set-top box that good? Who knows? But I'm pleased with it. I occasionally watch a blu-ray on my system, and I can't say that it looks much better, so I think my $8/month is well spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: