Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

blackout for large windows?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irridion

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: blackout for large windows? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
is there an inexpensive way to comepletely blackout windows? I live in an apartment and have floor to ceiling windows in my living room, I can't seem to find anything to seal out the light that won't get me evicted!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use what I use. It makes it look like a marajuana grow op from the out side but when the police show up they are stunned by the picture quality of the CRT displaying Adam 12, Streets of Sanfrancisco, Car 54 Where Are You? Kojack and Hawai 5-0 re-runs. Then all is ok Smile Razz 8) Laughing

Home Depot or Rona in the insulation section. Buy the silver bubble wrap and some duct tape. Roll said insulation over big windows and tape in place. Also good for keeping heat in and sun out. Make sure to leave small section where you can remove insulation. This is where you put the house plants. No not those house plants. The leagal kind Smile

OR goto a restaurant supply place and buy some rolls of aluminum foil and tape them up.

Alternatively goto Fabricland and ask for blackout cloth. Use some to make your screen and use the rest to block the light from your windows. If you are feeling adventurist you can make drapes out of it. I'd go with the duct tape personaly. Or the foil tape. It works wonders too. Doesn't leave as much of a residue either.

Check out the screen forums for a cheap and easy screen made from black out cloth.

By the way the bubble wrap isn't all that cheap, the aluminum foil may be cheaper or maybe not. The blackout cloth would be the least expensive I'd guess. Or go dumpster diving at clothing manufacturers and see what kind of odd and ends of fabric they have. Carpet rements would work too. Hell you could even hang nice area rugs up as curtains. Use your imagination. You'll find something.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on flea bay for blackout curtains .
irridion

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: painting the windows? Reply with quote

Is there some type of paint I could just roll on? Erm...and that would be easy to get off?

Maybe a silicone paint, then I could peel it off when I move/get evicted/graduate?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: painting the windows? Reply with quote

irridion wrote:
Is there some type of paint I could just roll on? Erm...and that would be easy to get off?

Maybe a silicone paint, then I could peel it off when I move/get evicted/graduate?

If you find one let us know.

You might try one of the air profing window film kits that are meant to stop the drafts. The kind you shrink with a blow drier. Then paint the plastic. You would need a plastic primer. Don't know how well it would stick to that type of plastic as most I have seen is meant for painting lawn furnature which is a different type of plastic. Local Home Hardware will probably have it. Although they may look at you funny when you ask for lawn furnature primer in the middle of winter.

CRT.

HD done right!
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of but Blackout material is the easiest and cheapest solution . Here's a link....

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&fcl=3&from=R10&satitle=Blackout+curtains&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=80465&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=2&fsoo=2
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Your post reminded me of a story one of my old painters told me about a couple trying to save some money painting them selves . This guy was painting their house and the home owners asked for a quote to paint the old style nine pane true divide windows .
After they got his quote and told him he was too expensive, he took the time to explain to them that all the cutting in around the muntins takes time .
A week goes by and he gets a call from them asking for advice on what else they could do to save time and make it so they could stop getting paint all over the window glass .
This guy who was pissed at them from having to deal with them from his previous contract told them to smear vaseline all over the glass and to keep the paint from sticking to it ...LOL

Well they did it.

My buddy phones me up to go and take a look at this guys windows after the guy phoned him and threatened to kill him for telling him to smear vaseline on his windows . It was one of the funniest things I have ever saw I couldn't stop laughing for a week.

Sorry analog but seeing you are in the same town I thought I might save you guys some hard feelings later. LOL

irridion
Go find some cheap used blinds or thick curtains if you have to, or go buy a big cheap Black out cloth and roll it up on a 3" pipe and roll it up and down when you need it .

Ps irridion
If you are willing I would pay for the shrink film if you would go ahead with Analog's idea .

ONE thing though ,I would want to see pics of your living room after you shrunk wrap floor to ceiling windows and then spray painted them with plastic paint.... LOL

Bruce
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce 09 wrote:
Quote:

Your post reminded me of a story one of my old painters told me about a couple trying to save some money painting them selves . This guy was painting their house and the home owners asked for a quote to paint the old style nine pane true divide windows .
After they got his quote and told him he was too expensive, he took the time to explain to them that all the cutting in around the muntins takes time .
A week goes by and he gets a call from them asking for advice on what else they could do to save time and make it so they could stop getting paint all over the window glass .
This guy who was pissed at them from having to deal with them from his previous contract told them to smear vaseline all over the glass and to keep the paint from sticking to it ...LOL

Well they did it.

My buddy phones me up to go and take a look at this guys windows after the guy phoned him and threatened to kill him for telling him to smear vaseline on his windows . It was one of the funniest things I have ever saw I couldn't stop laughing for a week.

Sorry analog but seeing you are in the same town I thought I might save you guys some hard feelings later. LOL

irridion
Go find some cheap used blinds or thick curtains if you have to, or go buy a big cheap Black out cloth and roll it up on a 3" pipe and roll it up and down when you need it .

Ps irridion
If you are willing I would pay for the shrink film if you would go ahead with Analog's idea .

ONE thing though ,I would want to see pics of your living room after you shrunk wrap floor to ceiling windows and then spray painted them with plastic paint.... LOL

Bruce

LOL yeah it would look funny. I don't know where I come up with this stuff.

Definately post pics. I'd sugest a small test with a single window kit and a single can of primer to see if it'll work first. You may have to paint over the primer to completly block the light. I'd really love to see if this would work.

CRT.

HD done right!
irridion

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Fabricland, odd is not the word. I was the only guy there and kept getting stares from all the ladies with blue hair rinse. Matron salewoman comes over and asks if I require assistance, but made it sound like "What are you doing here?"

I tell her I need fabric to cover my windows that blocks out all of the light from coming into a room. She raises an eyebrow and walks me over to her curtains section and shows me black velvety curtains and says with a lining would work.

I ask if a lining will make any fabric work, and she says yes, impatiently. Tired of the attitude I ask her if I can have 5 metres of Purple fake fur so my curtains will look like I've killed and skinned a Muppet and hung it up! Smile

Um...she doesn't laugh...but a customer does!

Anyway they have stuff. They laughing customer tells me that they have a "special members only sale" in 2 weeks 60% off, or something like that on fabric I can use.

Who has a Fabricland membership?...ya, thought so.

I am going back next week with a high powered flashlight and girl who knows how to sew things together and has a fabricland membership. I am still worried about some light penetrating my funeral parlour for muppets, come (forum deleted myproper useage of "C UM) home theatre curtains.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I shop there for hallowe'en costume materials. I think at one time myself and 2 of my friends had memberships. It's ok man, it doens't make you less of a man. Trust me LOL

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot to add:

Don't forget the gold piping. That's the braided gold chord they had on the drapes in Gone with the wind. You could do an angora version of those curtains. lol

CRT.

HD done right!
irridion

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Fine It's pink Faux fur all around Reply with quote

I'll use it 4 curtains and wall/sound insulation, then I'm going to add a BIG FAT Crystal Chandelier hanging from my PJ Wink

ack...chokes...

*runs away from fabricland and into home depot*
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you get the membership?

CRT.

HD done right!
imjghook

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Black out windows Reply with quote

Try this stuff from DBox inc. Its called Glass Masking Paint. You paint it on and when your ready to take it off you just peel it off. I comes off in one big sheet. Really cool product. Property managers use it for vacancy windows. Looks real clean and professional. Here's a link: http://dboxinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=87
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and at almost $200 a bucket I'd say f*ck***.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Yea a bit pricy bit it works Reply with quote

Yea a bit pricy but it works. One bucket covers allot of windows. Have you priced drapes lately?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to think any home theater as having 'many' windows. Ideally, we'd expect none, but in most homes I would imagine one, maybe two. Also, how do they address (or even acknowledge) heat build up in two/three-pane sealed windows. Will the elevated heat build-up cause the seals to leak--thus lowering their efficiency?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Breathable Reply with quote

What I understand is that its a breathable film and does not cause heat build up. I use it on my vacant shopping center windows and my house in Dallas. We have had over 29 days over 100 degrees and no problems for me. Maybe if you call them they can sell a smaller qty? I have not seen anything like this product before. Just trying to answer Irridion's question above, not looking for a debate.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting that the painted material had any relevant heat capacity to store heat, but rather the exterior-facing would reflect at the glass (instead of beyond the glass in an air gap).

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect much heat buildup between the outside pane and the paint on the inside of the inside pane. Not like e.g. if you cram styrofoam into a window well and there's a gap inside the window. As long as the paint is white or some other very light color, it should reflect a lot of the sunlight as light instead of converting it to heat. The solar energy never gets past the inside of the inside pane so there should be very little inside heating.

Obviously painting the outside of the outside pane would be ideal, because that way the heat never gets inside the glass. But also obviously that has wear/weather issues. I would think paint on the inside pane should work pretty well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: