Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Digital antenna
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I didn't realize a nearby lake made a big difference. I live on the SW shore of a lake, with a bit of a hill (maybe 30-40') to the SW of me. Most of the distant channels are S and SSW of me in Denver / Boulder, some closer ones are W. What effect would the lake have in that situation?

FYI here's a close-up of my area, showing signal strength (from http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=80) for a station 70mi to the SSW. Most of the area is green (fairly strong, probably work with a set-top antenna) but my immediate neighborhood on the SW side of the lake is purple (much weaker). The ridgetop near my house is the red line, and I suspect that's what causes the purple shadow. The lake doesn't seem to do much.

Antenna.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.51 KB
 Viewed:  4005 Time(s)

Antenna.gif

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a highly directional antennae with a pre amp and amp and add a rotor for best results. The downside is you have to rotate the antennae for optimum signal. Sometimes you can find a happy medium that gets a reasonable signal from all towers and just leave the antennae in that spot. Height still matters and knowing the elevation of the towers you are trying to hit helps a lot. Sadly digital signals arent as forgiving as analog was. The upside is that the signal is not compressed and especially on live broadcasts like sports the 1080I picture is amazing. It blows away DISH. Before you go crazy I would try a decent pre amp and amp and see if you are happy with the results. There are reasonably priced and if you are happy with the result then you are done at a cost of less than 60 bucks and an install time of 20 minutes. Even if you decide to upgrade your antennae you can still use the amp so you arent out anything.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would already have a small yagi on the roof -- I bought one about 4 years ago for a test -- but my covenant-nazi neighbor threw a fit. He barely tolerates dishes, and not without snippy remarks. My house is all vaulted ceilings so I don't have an attic. So my high-mount options are really limited.

If I really wanted to, I could probably mount the yagi on the NE side of my roof's NW/SE ridgeline, hiding it behind the ridge so it's only visible from my back yard. It would have the top of the roof -- and probably more critically, the metal ridge flashing -- in front of it so I don't know how well it would work. Probably still better than an omni in the basement... but a pain to mount and then I have to worry about lightning.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever try just putting the omni on an upper floor ? I cant imagine what kind of signal you are getting in a basement.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not. I don't even have a receiver right now. Very Happy
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with the Winegard ominidirectional UFO antenna and the Channel Master CM-7001 ecrabb suggested. The antenna is mounted in my attic, and I receive way more channels than I will ever watch. Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.

I do have one problem with the CM-7001, 1080i will not synch with the Marqee or with a computer monitor I use as a TV when I work out. 480i and 720p both work. I haven't finished the antenna installation, so I'm not sure if I am not receiving 1080i off the air, or if it's the CM-7001.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: