Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Digital antenna
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Digital antenna Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've been paying an arm and leg for FiOs for six years now, only so my Bride can watch HGTV. Everything else we watch is broadcast. I've been researching OTA antennas for some time now and have yet to find one without a list of reception quality complaints. Does anyone here have a good recommendation?

My next problem will be a receiver for my Marquee. I see old receivers on eBay, some with VGA out. That in itself presents a problem, I removed my RGBHV cables and installed HDMI when I bought an HDFury. I could go back, but I'm not too excited about that idea. I am actually thinking about adding an HTPC just for this reason, then I could also use it as a DVR. I know zero about HTPC, I tried to read Craig's thread but it is written in a language I do not understand.

All advice and ideas welcome.

Thank you,
Joel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an OTA is having reception problems it is more than likely due to installation or location. Look around and see what kind of antennae people around you are (or were ) using. A pre amp ant. is a plus. There is NO DIFFERENCE between a digital and an analog antennae. Just like back in the day when they would advertise a COLOR antennae.
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this site. They have some cool looking stuff, but I have not purchased yet.

http://www.solidsignal.com/

Like you, I would like to get a local OTA signal for local HD channels.

wallace

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stations are you trying to pull in (UHF, high VHF or low VHF)? It makes a difference. How far are you away from the towers? Is the antenna inside or out? Start by going to antennaweb and plugging in your address. That will give the channels and distance/direction. From there you can start to get an idea of what you need to do.
http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

For a good review of a lot of antennas, go to hdtvexpert.
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/

If you have UHF, then the Gray-Hoverman DIY antenna might be suitable.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
Check out this site. They have some cool looking stuff, but I have not purchased yet.

http://www.solidsignal.com/

Like you, I would like to get a local OTA signal for local HD channels.

wallace

I buy all my Dish network and Antennas from them. Great people to work with and ask questions.

Id give them a call.

I have to say old style huge antennas work great for HD. get the motor too so you can turn the antenna to catch different locations.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I'm using. I have it up in my window:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=4221-HD&d=Channel-Master-4221HD-4bay-HDTVUHF-TV-Antenna-&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=

4221HD_medlrg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.38 KB
 Viewed:  13585 Time(s)

4221HD_medlrg.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make your own, Check out the AUSSIES them boys know how to make an antennae.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Start by going to antennaweb and plugging in your address. That will give the channels and distance/direction. From there you can start to get an idea of what you need to do.

Good info in your post, Spanky... One note, though. I used to use AntennaWeb, but then I found (or somebody on AVS mentioned) TV Fool and I LOVE it. The report is much, much more detailed and informative than AntennaWeb. I still use AntennaWeb for simplicity, but TV Fool is awesome.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Anther enthusiastic recommendation for Solid Signal. Been buying satellite and OTA stuff from them for years, and they've always been really good.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Digital antenna Reply with quote

tri_joel wrote:
My next problem will be a receiver for my Marquee. I see old receivers on eBay, some with VGA out. That in itself presents a problem, I removed my RGBHV cables and installed HDMI when I bought an HDFury. I could go back, but I'm not too excited about that idea. I am actually thinking about adding an HTPC just for this reason, then I could also use it as a DVR.

Oh, and Joel... If all you want is an OTA receiver with HDMI, those are certainly available.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-7001-Antenna-Clear/dp/B0066O1DI2

There are also others. Of course, you're between a third and half of the way to a decent HTPC with a tuner card or USB stick for DVR/time-shift/archiving capability.

Just depends on how much money you want to spend, and/or how important simplicity is.

Personally, I can barely stand to watch live TV any more, so for me, it's essentially DVR or nothing.

It wouldn't take much of a PC just for OTA DVR functionality... You can probably by a nice refurb/off-lease computer from a local reseller for $100-125 with Windows 7 on it. Add a used HDMI video card for $40-50, and an OTA tuner card/stick for another $50-50, and for $225-250, you could have OTA DVR.

Just a thought.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
One note, though. I used to use AntennaWeb, but then I found (or somebody on AVS mentioned) TV Fool and I LOVE it. The report is much, much more detailed and informative than AntennaWeb. I still use AntennaWeb for simplicity, but TV Fool is awesome.

AntennaWeb says that with a good-sized 30'AGL antenna I could reach 10 stations. 4 are Spanish, 2 are religious, 3 are unidentified. So with an antenna I could get 1 known station I might watch, and it's Fox. Laughing With 0'AGL it said I could only get one marginal signal.

TV Fool says I can get 4 stations with a set-top, 10 more with antenna mount, 15 more with roof mount. Quite a different result. Who to believe?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital antenna Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
Start by going to antennaweb and plugging in your address. That will give the channels and distance/direction. From there you can start to get an idea of what you need to do.

Good info in your post, Spanky... One note, though. I used to use AntennaWeb, but then I found (or somebody on AVS mentioned) TV Fool and I LOVE it. The report is much, much more detailed and informative than AntennaWeb. I still use AntennaWeb for simplicity, but TV Fool is awesome.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Anther enthusiastic recommendation for Solid Signal. Been buying satellite and OTA stuff from them for years, and they've always been really good.

SC

Just checked out TVfool and it is pretty good. I guess it isn't that big of a deal for me since I am 3 miles from the towers.Smile

ecrabb wrote:
tri_joel wrote:
My next problem will be a receiver for my Marquee. I see old receivers on eBay, some with VGA out. That in itself presents a problem, I removed my RGBHV cables and installed HDMI when I bought an HDFury. I could go back, but I'm not too excited about that idea. I am actually thinking about adding an HTPC just for this reason, then I could also use it as a DVR.

Oh, and Joel... If all you want is an OTA receiver with HDMI, those are certainly available.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-7001-Antenna-Clear/dp/B0066O1DI2

There are also others. Of course, you're between a third and half of the way to a decent HTPC with a tuner card or USB stick for DVR/time-shift/archiving capability.

Just depends on how much money you want to spend, and/or how important simplicity is.

Personally, I can barely stand to watch live TV any more, so for me, it's essentially DVR or nothing.

It wouldn't take much of a PC just for OTA DVR functionality... You can probably by a nice refurb/off-lease computer from a local reseller for $100-125 with Windows 7 on it. Add a used HDMI video card for $40-50, and an OTA tuner card/stick for another $50-50, and for $225-250, you could have OTA DVR.

Just a thought.

SC

If a set top box doesn't have any issues, then I would go that route over a HTPC. I can't say how many times I have had issues with my HTPC. The last time was with the series finale of Fringe, when I couldn't get the device to sync. I gave up and threw the Wonder against the wall (yes, I know I have anger issues Smile). If you are watching movies, then it is probably fine but OTA could be frustrating. Also, you can't just turn the pj on and start watching TV. You have to plan five to ten minutes ahead of time for boot, start program, make sure there are no issues, etc.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
If you want to make your own, Check out the AUSSIES them boys know how to make an antennae.

If you want to go DIY, then I can give more info. I designed and built my own Yagi, because I had a low VHF station (Fox) that I was having trouble pulling in. For the time and expense, it is probably easier just to buy an antenna.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aussies make antennaes that are built into the rafters of your house that pick up stations from over a hundred miles away, It is amazing. Imagine an antennae that is as big as your roof made from a spool of copper wire and stand offs.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that digital reception is nothing like analog. I mean this in that the signal will be received, and perfectly so, or not at all. There will not be a gradation of signal as seen in the form of something on the screen.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not exactly accurate. There are still different degrees of signal strength. There is a threshold where the picture degrades but a strong signal is still preferable.
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info to sort through, as a matte of fact I was up half of the night last night and have been searching most of the day.

As of now, I'm leaning toward something like this http://www.amazon.com/1080p-Digital-Recorder-Receiver-Center/dp/B008RHTXLA/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359576136&sr=1-4&keywords=ota+tuner
Though the reviews are not very good.

According to antennaweb.org, I need a green, red, and blue to get the channels I usually watch. If I go up to a purple, I can get French TV, which I wouldn't mind. I think this one will do the trick, and potentially work in my attic: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp??mc=03&p=MS2002&d=Winegard-MS2002-Metrostar-VHFUHF-Amplified-Omnidirectional-TV-Antenna-(MS2002)&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=

Any opinion/experience with the UFO type antenna?

Is there any truth to AppleTV providing TV service (like a cable provider) this year?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked the omnidirectional myself but depending on your location relevant to the towers you are trying to access it could be fine for you.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
The Aussies make antennaes that are built into the rafters of your house that pick up stations from over a hundred miles away, It is amazing. Imagine an antennae that is as big as your roof made from a spool of copper wire and stand offs.

They must be using rhombic antennas. Wouldn't it be funny if I had a hand in starting that? Wink I mentioned rhombic antennas to one of the Aussies seven or eight years ago when I was building my antenna. He lived out in the middle of nowhere and I told him that this may be his best bet. I think we talked about it a little bit, but I wasn't going to build one so he was on his own.
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book10/42o.htm

Joel,
What about the Channel Master or Tivo? I know the CM is more expensive, but it probably has better support. Tivo is cheap upfront, but they get you with the $15 subscription fee. That said, I really liked Tivo when I had it on my Directv box.
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. I don't really feel like experimenting, but I think it will receive the channels I want. I didn't want to share my home address otherwise I would have posted a screen shot from antenna web.org. My zip is 22101, McLean VA if you have any interest in looking it and letting me know what you think.

Steve- I'm with you on the live TV vs. DVR. The only live TV we watch anymore are the Nationals and Yankee baseball games, Redskin football (someday they will be worth watching the entire season), and I watch a lot of college football. We will stream MLB through Apple TV, Redskins will come over antenna, and college football will unfortunately suffer. Most TV programs we watch we can get through Hulu or Netflix. So in a nutshell, a DVR would be convenient to record football games, so I have been searching eBay for oldish Direct TV DVRs with OTA tuners. I have not discounted the DVR I linked to above, I'm just concerned about the negative reviews.

Another option I have, but have put little thought into, is I have a laptop with HDMI and Windows Media Center. I could just install one of those USB tuner thingies and use it as a tuner and DVR.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would need to see your house, Do you live near a lake? Up on a hill ? Down in a valley. Are you surrounded by tall buildings ? There are a lot of factors to consider. Proximity to the towers not being the least. If you dont live by a lake and have a reasonably clear line of sight within 25 miles of the towers you should have no problems at all. Attic installs work well in most cases and the install is easy,also you have less of a chance of lightning strikes. There are many things to consider but it aint rocket science.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: