Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Looking to buy Screen Material with a 1.3 Gain for DIY

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy Screen Material with a 1.3 Gain for DIY Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys,

Does anyone sell screen material with a 1.3 gain? I feel like that would be best for my 9" CRT DIY screen. I see 1.0 material everywhere and that's what I have now but I would like a little more "punch" Does anyone know if I can buy this? I am looking for material for my 16/9 135" setup.

Other than buying it for $600 plus from the big guys, I am hoping to just find raw materials and do it myself.

Thanks!

Jay
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

Search "wilsonart" on the forum. Yes, that Wilsonart. White horizontal-grade countertop material. It actually measured in the 1.3 gain ballpark. It's a bit of a project to build, but I prefer it over painting methods (I hate painting), and when finished and mounted, it's practically indestructible. Total cost should be in the $150-250 ballpark, depending on size and how fancy you get with framing and felt borders and such.

I can't recall the number, but if you search here, you'll find multiple references. D354-60 sticks in my head. 354 is the color (which is "designer white"), and 60 is the finish (matte/pebble - i.e., not glossy).

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ecrabb,

I didn't know Wilsonart came in bigger than 4x8 or that it was close to a 1.3 gain so those are both good to know. I will definately look into that now.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Hi Jay,

Search "wilsonart" on the forum. Yes, that Wilsonart. White horizontal-grade countertop material. It actually measured in the 1.3 gain ballpark. It's a bit of a project to build, but I prefer it over painting methods (I hate painting), and when finished and mounted, it's practically indestructible. Total cost should be in the $150-250 ballpark, depending on size and how fancy you get with framing and felt borders and such.

I can't recall the number, but if you search here, you'll find multiple references. D354-60 sticks in my head. 354 is the color (which is "designer white"), and 60 is the finish (matte/pebble - i.e., not glossy).

SC

+1. I helped a buddy build a screen using the white Wilsonart formica, and I was shocked at how great of a surface it is for front projection. It was very easy to work with, had no aberrations in color or surface texture, was quite bright, and mounted to the DIY frame that we made with zero waves or any other issues. IMO much easier than working with fabrics or paints, with the only downside being that it's not acoustically transparent if you want to go that route.

IIRC it can be ordered in two heights from Lowes or Home Depot, with the larger of the two being quite sizable if you want to do a larger screen.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, I glossed over the part where you said "135-inch"... I'm pretty sure the Wilsonart is available in a 10-foot length... Possible 5x10, but you'd be limited by the 5-foot dimension, at about 60x106, or about 122" diag. You might have to go to a painted screen to go DIY that big, or go commercial.

That's damn near a 10-foot wide screen - that's going to be getting a bit on the dim side for a CRT. Even with the 9-inch machine, you're going to be under 10fL. Are you locked into that screen size because of throw, or could you drop down a bit? I think if you could drop down to the 5x10 screen size, you'll get a better looking image on a smaller budget than if you went larger.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Uh oh, I glossed over the part where you said "135-inch"... I'm pretty sure the Wilsonart is available in a 10-foot length... Possible 5x10, but you'd be limited by the 5-foot dimension, at about 60x106, or about 122" diag. You might have to go to a painted screen to go DIY that big, or go commercial.

That's damn near a 10-foot wide screen - that's going to be getting a bit on the dim side for a CRT. Even with the 9-inch machine, you're going to be under 10fL. Are you locked into that screen size because of throw, or could you drop down a bit? I think if you could drop down to the 5x10 screen size, you'll get a better looking image on a smaller budget than if you went larger.

SC

Actually I just measured it and its 9 feet wide so that's "only" a 124 inch screen. The vertical dimension is 61 inches so I could go with 5x9 and be close enough Smile I have it set up at that size now and it is a little dim but close! The size is perfect for the room and I think a little screen gain will give me what I need.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurley Screens. Lace and Grommet.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very informational thread over at AVS on the Wilsonart. Wbassett and others went over to HTshack, so there might be a thread over there. HTshack is the best reference for DIY screens.

I would consider painting you a screen, but you know who would have to be my assistant. Mr. Green
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
There is a very informational thread over at AVS on the Wilsonart. Wbassett and others went over to HTshack, so there might be a thread over there. HTshack is the best reference for DIY screens.

I would consider painting you a screen, but you know who would have to be my assistant. Mr. Green

Ha! I will have her come over! Smile

Looked at the AVS Thread. Seems Wilsonart DW is the way to go. Trick will be to get it in 5x10 and cut it down to 5x9. not sure how well it cuts.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Ha! I will have her come over! Smile

Looked at the AVS Thread. Seems Wilsonart DW is the way to go. Trick will be to get it in 5x10 and cut it down to 5x9. not sure how well it cuts.

It comes rolled up, so it will have a curve to it. You could probably cut it with a table saw easily; circular saw or jig saw would be tougher unless you had a large table. I just scored the back with a razor blade and it snapped pretty cleanly in two.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it 5x10 and just make a 6" frame on top all the way around with Black velvet material.

Unless it wont fit your wall.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Leave it 5x10 and just make a 6" frame on top all the way around with Black velvet material.

Athanasios

Great idea! It will fit Smile
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

Great idea! It will fit Smile

Id use 1x6 poplar and bevel the inside edge about 2 inches to about half the thickness of the
board. Then spray the piece with spray on glue and wrap with material.

This would be the top. Now Id do the same for the back but with 1x4 and
run strips cross section to keep the Wilson art stable. Also maybe use 1/4 inch underlayment for the Screen
as well. Like said earlier this is rolled and needs to be flattened for uniformity.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: