Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My new JVC digital projector (DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Did you happen to hit the 3D button on the remote?

Also try putting the projector in THX Movie mode with something plugged into the HDMI 1

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll experiment with that. I'm supposed to be real careful with the HDMI port, right? Physically careful with plugging and unplugging, and don't plug or unplug while the projector is turned on? Then plug the player into HDMI1, display 1080p24 content to trigger the problem, and then put the projector into THX mode?

I'd be surprised if it's anything to do with 3D. It looks like it actually stretches it to double height.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

I asked the previous owner if he knew of any oddness with HDMI1, and he was confused -- he said all he EVER used was HDMI1, and he never had a problem.

That's the universal answer for "That's the reason I sold it, because I wore the HDMI port out to the point that it doesn't work correctly anymore. I just don't want to tell you because I already spent the money you gave me for it!"

Best case scenario with the HDMI 1 port: the solder is cracked on the connections, or the port itself is damaged somehow.

And you don't have t turn your devices off to plug HDMI in, just don't go putting it in all crooked and half assed like so many people do. I see projectors and AVRs all the time with scratched up and beat up HDMI ports, because people are trying to fidget the plug into the port without looking at it.

I plug HDMI in all the time with devices on, never once have I ever killed a single HDMI port or processor. You just can't be forceful with HDMI ports, they are indeed fragile and have a habit of breaking.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the HDMI1 port is physically damaged. 1080p60 works just peachy. It's only 1080p24 that goes wonky. It's a software issue, not a cracked solder joint.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I doubt the HDMI1 port is physically damaged. 1080p60 works just peachy. It's only 1080p24 that goes wonky. It's a software issue, not a cracked solder joint.

The previous owner never used 1080p24? Come to think of it, I remember reading about an issue with some JVC's firmware and 24fps sources. I think on AVS. It was a known issue, but not as common as the bulb dimming/ballast dying. Other than those 2 issues, I've never seen another type of problem with them. They are otherwise extremely reliable and they have great image quality that doesn't wear out like LCD projectors, but keep the benefit of 3 chip displays.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and it's almost too bad the solder joins aren't cracked. That's a guaranteed fix at least. Getting the firmware updated on it might be a task!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would most definitely think it's a software issue if 1080p/60 is working fine and 1080p/24 is not, as it's more bandwidth-intensive. Surely there are firmware updates out there on the web if you search enough?

Here: http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/versionentry.jsp?modelId=41

Pop in your software version number and see what this gets you. Smile

EDIT: I got there from here: http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/serieslist.jsp (modelId=41 is the RS45U)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
OK I'll experiment with that. I'm supposed to be real careful with the HDMI port, right? Physically careful with plugging and unplugging, and don't plug or unplug while the projector is turned on? Then plug the player into HDMI1, display 1080p24 content to trigger the problem, and then put the projector into THX mode?

I'd be surprised if it's anything to do with 3D. It looks like it actually stretches it to double height.

Just get the cable in straight. You'll be fine. Yes try THX mode and I was wondering if you had hit the 3D button as some 3 D is top/bottom and I thought on a long shot that may have stretched things.

Jeremy may also be on the right track with a firmware update. He sees more digital Projectors than I do.

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If firmware won't fix it, then it's a hardware failure of some sort. It could be as small as a transistor or resistor that went bad and is affecting only some signal types, or it could still possibly even be the HDMI port. With HDMI, I don't discount anything, since I've seen more issues with it than solutions Smile
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
If firmware won't fix it, then it's a hardware failure of some sort. It could be as small as a transistor or resistor that went bad and is affecting only some signal types, or it could still possibly even be the HDMI port. With HDMI, I don't discount anything, since I've seen more issues with it than solutions Smile

My solution to HDMI is go Analog.

Sucks on the new Bluray players that only have HDMI though.

CRT.

HD done right!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, Jeremy. It was indeed a 3D issue.

There's a 3D mode button on the remote, but that didn't do much. Then I found a "3D Formats" menu (page 63 of the manual) with settings of top/bottom, side/side, 2D, and Auto. Top/bot and side/side didn't help, but Auto locked into it perfectly.

I have a 3D emitter and a couple of pairs of glasses. I'll have to figure out the 3D stuff one of these days.

Thanks for the help!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Good call, Jeremy. It was indeed a 3D issue.

There's a 3D mode button on the remote, but that didn't do much. Then I found a "3D Formats" menu (page 63 of the manual) with settings of top/bottom, side/side, 2D, and Auto. Top/bot and side/side didn't help, but Auto locked into it perfectly.

I have a 3D emitter and a couple of pairs of glasses. I'll have to figure out the 3D stuff one of these days.

Thanks for the help!

Excellent! Glad I was right Laughing

By the way, I skimmed the manual while watchin 3 things on 3 other screen at the same time and got it right. ADDRocks!!

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I was wrong Very Happy Makes me wonder how many people replace their projector because of a similar issue, and never bother to read the manual or try and solve the problem. I've gotten a few machines that way.

Enjoy the new machine!!

Nice ADD Jeremy Razz

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Glad I was wrong Very Happy Makes me wonder how many people replace their projector because of a similar issue, and never bother to read the manual or try and solve the problem. I've gotten a few machines that way.

Enjoy the new machine!!

Nice ADD Jeremy Razz

Thank you Jeremy!

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
Jump to: