Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My new JVC digital projector (DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I can't even get much use out of 3D, even with my RS45, because I wear glasses and stacking two pairs of glasses is very sub-optimal. I'd rather wear a C clamp. (Not a lot of difference but the C clamp doesn't obstruct my vision as much.)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahahahaaa, absolutely agree 100% with that!! Thumbs Up
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of reminds me of Transition lenses. They are only good for folks with 'light' prescriptions and not those of us with more serious optical needs. And since Costco doesn't do 'tinting' they effectively do not do prescription eyewear.

But CM hit the nail on the head. As someone that had been wearing eyewear for 47 years, it wasn't made for folks that have corrective eyewear unless you are talking about contact users (never gonna be me). So f*ck 3D, IMVHO.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I'm hoping people get disillusioned with 3D and want to ditch their otherwise-perfectly-good projector. Cheap. Mr. Green I'm ready to make the switch if I can find a good enough deal. I shoulda jumped on the $800 RS45 (with new bulb) a couple months ago, but with full-house remodel and two boys in college....

Same here. Very Happy Though I've been perfectly content with my Yamaha projector, even if it's only 720p. It's too bad they didn't continue and made their inevitable 1080p projector.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do contacts either. The problem is that my lash guard reflex is too strong and I'd never tolerate touching my own eyeball even with a contact lens. It's tough enough just to get eyedrops in and I do that every stinking day!

Some company that makes prescription eyewear should team up with a company that makes 3D glasses and create prescription glasses that work for 3D. I'm sure there's a modest profit potential in that.

Even better, because they'd be LCD shutter glasses, they could also operate as adjustable sunglasses. Controlled by a small control on them, or via an app, or auto dimming. And when they sense the 3D frame sync signal, automatically switch into movie mode.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear about the 56.

The latest JVCs were a good jump over the previous generation, but it really has been incremental since they got the color worked out years ago.

Kal, you are the poster boy of why JVC hasn't put out a lower cost laser. Rod Sterling told us that it was cheaper to buy new bulbs than the added expense of a laser. Despite that you hear people bitching on AVS that bulbs have ruined their lives. Smile

I have a feeling JVC is going to move the 500/520 down to the entry level and bring out either a new bulb consumer line or maybe even a laser. I don't think they will go 4k this year. My guess is they still want the 4500 to be the halo that it is.

Gary,
If you look around, then you should find plenty of JVCs for good prices. I wouldn't get a 45. Wait for a 4910. I wouldn't pay over $1200 for one of those right now. AVScience is selling b stock 400s for IIRC around $2600 as a point of comparison.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Gary,
If you look around, then you should find plenty of JVCs for good prices. I wouldn't get a 45. Wait for a 4910. I wouldn't pay over $1200 for one of those right now. AVScience is selling b stock 400s for IIRC around $2600 as a point of comparison.

To clarify - you wouldn't pay over $1200 for a 4910 or a 45?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4910's on ebay right now are running $2200 - $3000.

Why not a 45, Spanky? Low price is more important to me than the latest-greatest-uber-projector. I'm sure an RS45 would be a huge step up over my 8500, which we could never get set up properly.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS45 owner chiming in. I consider the RS45 to be generally equal to a fully set up G90. There are a few strengths and a few weaknesses, but overall I'd say they're on the same level.

The Marquee doesn't quite measure up as well but only due to focus sharpness performance.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine especially. I can't even get full 720p out of it -- BluRay disks don't look that much better than DVD. Corner focus sucks -- not optical, but I can't get the focus/astig right. Dragan came up once and he couldn't get it to behave either. So I haven't had real HD since my XG852, 10-11 years ago?? That projector had issues so I sold it to Curt and started playing with other projectors. Since then I've had the 8500, a G70 which also had issues and I eventually gave up and sold it to Curt, and a Dwin 700 which was a cute and silent little box, but it was only ES focus. I'd love to have a sharp image and the pop that a high-lumen projector can deliver.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Why not a 45, Spanky? Low price is more important to me than the latest-greatest-uber-projector. I'm sure an RS45 would be a huge step up over my 8500, which we could never get set up properly.

eCrabb made mention of his RS45('s lamp I presume) not being good for more than 1000 hours. Though I have no idea how large of a screen he was running. Chris how many hours have you put on yours?

I think the RS46 is the same as the RS45 except it uses the newer DC lamp, so perhaps it's the 46 that you want.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to check lamp hours. When I fire it up next I'll do that and report back. But I guarantee I don't put more than 6 hours on the lamp per week. Usually, less. It'll last a long time with my viewing habits.

I don't watch movies every day and even more than once a week is a bit rare for me, but I certainly would not wish to be without a home theater with a good projector.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me too. I'd much rather get 2500-3000 out of it like Kal does with his RS56, but 1000 hours would last me several years.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in the same boat actually. I have only 273 hours on my Yamaha and I've had it since end of January. At this rate (estimate from February) I would use up the RS-45 bulb in almost two years. And I have a smaller screen (92 inches diagonal - 80 inches wide) so it would probably last me a little longer.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like anything else I find myself doing things in multiples. For flat screen televisions I run multiples and for projection I have multiple projectors. I relegate a projector for use A/B/C and better projector for C/D, etc. This certainly places the more aggressive accumulating hours on a cheaper product that requires less in terms of performance.

But even I believe my RS20 is getting long in the tooth for its function and I'm on the same initial bulb. Heck, I probably should learn to get over my fear of removing the lamp assy and cleaning it since it was known for getting plaque and reducing light output. But now me thinks I should consider a more modern JVC--especially one that had lens memory.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Gary,

To clarify - you wouldn't pay over $1200 for a 4910 or a 45?

garyfritz wrote:

I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for a 4910. I might push to $1500, but Cedia is in a month. If I am correct and JVC comes out with a new model, then that pushes the price of the older models down. Plus, I have a feeling that Epson and Sony are going to have new models as well. And lets not forget that DLP now has their 4k shift chips out. Although I wouldn't own one, it creates more competition. As I said above, you can get a RS400 for around $2500. Anyone who would pay $2000 for a 4910 isn't even bothering to do minimal amount of research.

Gary,
If you want a good step, but still stay reasonable then I would look for a RS46. It has the newer lamp, which should last you a long time. If you are wanting to go 4k in the near future, then you could go with an even older model. Unfortunately 4k won't be cheap for awhile.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware, there are some DLP units hitting the market that feature DMDs with a 2.40:1 native aspect ratio.

I predict it won't be long before those start hitting reasonable price points. I'm not sure I'd go for 4K right now,
I might wait for one of those units instead.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go DLP unless it had a hella-fast cycle rate. I don't know what current DLPs do but the old-school color-wheel models drove me nuts.

Spanky, I don't need 4k just like I don't need 3D. What would you recommend if I wanted an older JVC that didn't waste money on those?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I wouldn't go DLP unless it had a hella-fast cycle rate. I don't know what current DLPs do but the old-school color-wheel models drove me nuts.

Spanky, I don't need 4k just like I don't need 3D. What would you recommend if I wanted an older JVC that didn't waste money on those?

He said the RS-46 I believe, which is a 45 with the new lamp.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS46 would be very nice, but it's 3D, so I'd be paying for something I don't want. The only one I can find for sale at the moment is $2800 "like new," which is well above my pain point. RS46's must be available cheaper than that -- I can get a refurb RS55 for that price.

There's a refurb RS45 (so like-new, probably new bulb) on ebay for $1550. More do-able but still more than I really want to spend. Missed a good chance with the $800 RS45 with new bulb.

I'm wondering what "older models" Spanky had in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16
Jump to: