Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

(SOLD!) Zenith 1200 (Barco Cine 8 Onyx) with extras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ecrabb wrote:

Personally, and I'm going to sound like hyperbolically-Dave (person99) here, but I can't imagine why anybody is watching an AC CRT projector anymore. G70's and XG LC's are practically free at this point (or in some cases, are).

SC

$12 isn't free, but it is close. Mr. Green

gjaky wrote:

Maybe in the USA, but even there there if you find a suitable machine the owner won't ship it. Here in europe good LC CRT projectors are still hard to find.

I have seen more than a couple CRTs listed at reasonable prices that the owner was willing to ship and they were still not bought. If Kal was willing to ship, then is there someone overseas willing to give him a nice premium on his pj?
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you dropped the price even more.

At which point will you consider parting out the set?

I'm interested in the hotrodded parts + 120mhz rgb amps Smile

Also in the tubes + LC housings + lenses but shipping these to europe will be quite difficult.
Decibel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Did the HD-215 and HD-18 use the same C-element?

Absolutely NO!
There's a my topic somewhere in this forum.

I tested HD117-24 Native Barco lenses with G70 c-elements and absolutely no focus at the edges.
Incompatible!

Zenith 1200 (and HD215 lenses) have specific plates, I think that only HD215 can mount on that projector.

If you want to use HD117's lenses in Zenith 1200 you must swap plates with retrographics models.

I hope that you understand.

Decibel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Did the HD-215 and HD-18 use the same C-element?

Decibel wrote:
Absolutely NO!
There's a my topic somewhere in this forum.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=273081#273081

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fragzero wrote:
I see you dropped the price even more.

At which point will you consider parting out the set?

I'm interested in the hotrodded parts + 120mhz rgb amps Smile

Also in the tubes + LC housings + lenses but shipping these to europe will be quite difficult.

If it doesn't sell at this price I will part it out. I have tentative buyer coming over in the next day or two.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome deal, hope someone buys this locally. A shame to part out.

That said, Kal is correct. While the Zenith 1200 is a great machine for color, contrast, endless adjustment and tweaking possibilities it's not perfect nor quiet. Corner focus, at least on mine, is passable at best despite spending hours adjusting astigmatism with little change. Cinema material, it's stunning and on-par with the Barco digital projectors at the local theatre. For computer or tv guide menus my ECP 4500 was much better for overall sharpness, sad to say. So yeah, if I had a choice an 8500 would probably make me more satisfied. I would have liked to swap mine for the 9500LC I found on eBay for my father at 1/2 the price I paid but no such luck. The 1200 is a sexy looking CRT projector to have hanging from your ceiling, though. I just wish they had 2 stage focus adjustment, I like the look of a longer lens protruding from the case.

If I was in the market to buy again I'd easily put my money towards an Epson 8350 but at 1/3 the price this Zenith would probably win me over.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTREE wrote:
If I was in the market to buy again I'd easily put my money towards an Epson 8350 but at 1/3 the price this Zenith would probably win me over.

I had an 8350 in my theater for 10 days and watched a few movies. While it's certainly a decent machine for the money, and for people who want to watch movies and are non-critical viewers, it's a great value, it won't even come close to comparing to a machine in the class of a G70 or Cine 8. The black levels were pretty bad. Let's put it this way: The 8350 with a Blu-ray case in front of the lens put more light on the screen (light leak) than did my G70 (with slightly elevated black level).

I love my JVC, but the 8350 was not that close to a good CRT in terms of PQ. Unless, of course - you're a non-critical viewer that just likes to watch movies.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent another couple of hours last night with both my new JVC RS56 digital ($8K MSRP circa 2013) and the Zenith 1200 CRT ($30K MSRP circa 2001).

With both on I could picture mute between the two to compare quickly. Black level doing it this way is slightly elevated but wasn't noticeable/objectionable.

I was quite surprised at how similar they look, especially with movie material. The JVC is sharper (and not calibrated yet) but other than that they're very similar. With movie material my wife couldn't tell the difference unless I started to point things out.

At low lamp mode and iris at -13 on the JVC, it's about the same brightness as the Barco with contrast at 65 (out of 100). This is how I've been running the CRT it as it gives me about 14 ftL.

Two comments:

- I'm happily surprised to see how far digital has come.

- While I have no use for the CRT projector I think I've having some sellers remorse. It bugs me a bit when you see how much a CRT projector like this sells for ($500-$1K, always used) when you compare what an equivalent digital costs ($4-8K, usually purchased new).

Kal

LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definitely sad. Things have changed a lot in 7 years since I joined this forum, it's hard to believe it's been that long. I stepped into the CRT realm around 2002/2003, I miss those days for sure when CRT reigned supreme, prices were still high and very few people had an in-home projector.

I wouldn't be able to convince anyone to take on a CRT projector, regardless of IQ, unless they were okay with the amount of time and financial investment involved as it's more so a hobby; I have yet to calibrate mine properly due to the added purchase of a greyscale meter and software plus a gamma control unit. The selling point for a good quality, budget projector like the 8350 is that it's head and shoulders above others in the same price range and it requires very little work out of the box to obtain a great picture. A friend of mine was already set on going with a digital unit, I suggested the 8350 and he was sold. For less than $1000 direct from Epson Canada on a new unit with free shipping it arrived in only a few days. He's been ultimately pleased ever since. I've viewed other, cheaper digital units and while the contrast isn't as high a crisp, full focused image won me over. =/

Just to compare or so I could test out would you still be able to access your Gain and Cut Off values, Kal?

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTREE wrote:
I have yet to calibrate mine properly due to the added purchase of a greyscale meter and software plus a gamma control unit.

All displays (regardless of technology) need to be calibrated. It is not CRT specific. That 8350 requires calibration too if you want it to perform at its best.

Quote:
Just to compare or so I could test out would you still be able to access your Gain and Cut Off values, Kal?

The values I use are directly related to the screen, your source(s) (how they're set up), how I have the gamma set on my RTC2200, how the RTC2200 handles the signal, how the HDMI to RGB converter handles the signal, and other values in the projector like contrast, brightness, blue focus, blue slope, blue break, Red Mid, Blue mid. Physical controls like the G2 and many other controls come into play. Then there's the general aging and engineering tolerances on parts.

One person's values won't mean anything to someone else even if they have an identical projector. So I'd rather not give any values to avoid someone thinking they can plug them into theirs thinking it's going to calibrate their Zenith 1200 for them (I know there are only about 3 of them left out there...). Smile

Kal

LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
LOTREE wrote:
I have yet to calibrate mine properly due to the added purchase of a greyscale meter and software plus a gamma control unit.

All displays (regardless of technology) need to be calibrated. It is not CRT specific. That 8350 requires calibration too if you want it to perform at its best.

Agreed, but the average person with a digital unit won't invest in a meter nor really require one for an outstanding picture beyond a few menu adjustments. The same cannot be said with a CRT unit, that's my point.

Quote:
Quote:

The values I use are directly related to the screen, your source(s) (how they're set up), how I have the gamma set on my RTC2200, how the RTC2200 handles the signal, how the HDMI to RGB converter handles the signal, and other values in the projector like contrast, brightness, blue focus, blue slope, blue break, Red Mid, Blue mid. Physical controls like the G2 and many other controls come into play. Then there's the general aging and engineering tolerances on parts.

One person's values won't mean anything to someone else even if they have an identical projector. So I'd rather not give any values to avoid someone thinking they can plug them into theirs thinking it's going to calibrate their Zenith 1200 for them (I know there are only about 3 of them left out there...). Smile

Kal

I'm certainly aware of the amount of variables and how it can differ, just curious is all. I was getting a great picture that I spent hours adjusting from the G2 controls through to the Gain and Cutoff. It wasn't until I switched over to HDMI and the HDFury this week to play Bluray that the picture turned back to pooh.

So, as of now without touching the G2's the Green Gain is 60, Red 50, Blue 32, Red cutoff maxed out while the Blue is 2, Green 0. Brightness 65, Contrast 50.

I was just wondering if anything sounds completely out to lunch. The problem now is white clipping. I suppose without a meter and gamma adjustment it's all trial and error.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTREE wrote:
Agreed, but the average person with a digital unit won't invest in a meter nor really require one for an outstanding picture beyond a few menu adjustments. The same cannot be said with a CRT unit, that's my point.

I guess we'll have to disagree with that. All the regular setup things (installation/geometry/etc) are more difficult on a CRT. Many of those things you get for 'free' with digital. But there's nothing that makes a digital fundamentally more accurate in terms of greyscale and gamma out of the box (the things you need a meter for).

Many digitals present completely oversaturated primaries that need to be fixed. CRT given its nature cannot really be oversaturated since it is what the standards were based on. It can be undersaturated but there's no adjustment to fix that (you need tinted c-elements or tinted glycol to fix that on a CRT).

Quote:
I'm certainly aware of the amount of variables and how it can differ, just curious is all. I was getting a great picture that I spent hours adjusting from the G2 controls through to the Gain and Cutoff. It wasn't until I switched over to HDMI and the HDFury this week to play Bluray that the picture turned back to pooh.

So, as of now without touching the G2's the Green Gain is 60, Red 50, Blue 32, Red cutoff maxed out while the Blue is 2, Green 0. Brightness 65, Contrast 50.

The cutoffs seem off. Having anything pegged in either direction (red and green) doesn't seem right and doesn't give you any adjustment in one direction. How's the greyscale and gamma track through? Maybe start a new thread and post pictures of your greyscale/gamma and we can comment.

Quote:
The problem now is white clipping. I suppose without a meter and gamma adjustment it's all trial and error.

No, setting white level is done with contrast and HDMI settings to pick the range(16-235 or 0-255). You don't need a meter for that. Just get the free AVS709 disc. Perfect for setting black (brightness) and white (contrast) levels.

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02 regarding CRT vs digital. I've noticed a trend (maybe only in my own head) of people that are calling me to upgrade to a G90 or similar, because they've owned a lower end CRT for years (usually an 8" purchased new about 15 years ago. THey go out to view a digital against their worn tube G70, and they come away disappointed. Then they get a hold of me and upgrade for another 7-10 years with a retubed G90.

So you have the typical newbie or fanatic that hangs out here, either to learn ( a fair number of new posters here in the last few months), and the die hards will argue the finer points of calibration to the death. There's many many many users still of CRT that don't hang out here unless something breaks, or they need HDMI type info, who use their CRT daily, have no plans of changing to digital, can do basic convergence and setup, and may go as far as owning a colorimeter.. or not.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the Zenith 1200 uses the same wonky lenses as the pro 900 Shocked I read on this forum many times that the 1200 was the same as the Barco Cine 8? The cine 8 didn't use those cheap single focus lenses did they?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
so the Zenith 1200 uses the same wonky lenses as the pro 900 Shocked I read on this forum many times that the 1200 was the same as the Barco Cine 8? The cine 8 didn't use those cheap single focus lenses did they?

Zenith 1200 is cine 8 onyx, an LC machine, the plain cine 8 is the AC variant, and it uses the glorious HD-8 (however color filtered!), but the cine 7 is equipped with HD145 lenses... Confused Barco had good sense to screw up their 8" line from optical side

View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cine 8 is not an LC projector, so it uses HD-8 lenses (completely different).
The Cine 8 Onyx is an LC projector and did in fact have the same HD-215 lenses as far as I know.

You can read more here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Zenith1200.shtm

I did a bunch of research into the Zenith 1200 back when I first got it and the section above is the result of what I found.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you find a buyer, Kal. I'd pop $500 for a fantastic projector like yours (even though I rarely use mine any more), but not another $500 to ship it even if you would. And it's definitely not worth a road trip from Colorado, even with your beer at the end of the trip. Very Happy
LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say less than $200 using YRC LTL Freight, Gary! I've used them to ship my father's 9500LC from Fort Collins, CO to here in NL, Canada 3 years ago for about $300 and that's a 220lb beast. Mine was about $250 from Fort Wayne, IN a few months prior.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cine 8 weighs 150lbs. If I know Kal, the shipping crate would end up weighing at least 100lbs. Laughing But even if he used a cheap/light crate, YRC's website says shipping 200lbs at the cheapest weight class (class 50) is about $400.

WTF! You put that poor 9500LC through a harrowing cross-country journey, when I could have taken it off your dad's hands and kept it in town!? Very Happy
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm How far is Ottawa from Buffalo? Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: