Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

(SOLD!) Zenith 1200 (Barco Cine 8 Onyx) with extras
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: (SOLD!) Zenith 1200 (Barco Cine 8 Onyx) with extras Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
FOR SALE: Zenith 1200 (Barco Cine 8 Onyx) with extras

Note: Normally working CRT projectors may not be sold here by anyone other than Curt. This sale has been ok'ed by Curt.

I'm selling my Zenith 1200 CRT projector with extras for a complete video system. All you need to add is the sources and a screen. Supports up to and including FULL HD 1080p/60.

Includes:
  • Zenith 1200 (Barco Cine 8 Onyx) projector with upgraded video input
  • Original non-modified RGB Driver board (R762720) as a spare
  • Original RGB Input & Switching board (R762719) as a spare
  • A Barco HV splitter (7617447) - These work in any Barco from the 700 to the 909
  • Original Barco IR remote (newest model)
  • Zenith 1200 install, owner, and service manuals (original with large easy to read foldouts)
  • Original shipping carton
  • 4 x unistrut pieces with hardware to create a flexible ceiling mount. (See example).
  • Crescendo Systems RTC2200 Component to RGB Converter with Gamma Boost
  • HDfury HDMI to RGB converter
  • 25' BetterCables.com RGBHV cable
  • Custom ceiling mount hushbox (build instructions & pictures here)
Price: SOLD

Local pickup in Ottawa Ontario only please as I want prospective buyers to see the setup running first. (The projector is currently floor mounted). Interested parties can contact me through the forum or at kal@curtpalme.com.

----

I am the original owner of these products including the projector which came directly from Zenith (through Curt) with approximately 100 hours on it (the amount of time Barco puts on them to ensure they work correctly). It was set up from the start with maximized phosphor usage and reasonable contrast levels prolonging tube life.

This was my personal video system for a long time, driven by a PS3 for Blu-ray/DVD/Games (HDMI), and an HD-PVR for TV (Component). The HDfury converts the PS3 output to RGB and plugs directly into the RTC2200. The RTC2200 converts the HD-PVR component signal to RGB, auto-switches when the PS3 is on, adds a gamma boost to the signal, and drives the 25' cable to the projector.

Reason for selling: We moved and cannot ceiling mount the projector over the first row of seats in our new basement remodel due to a low I-beam directly over the first row of seats. A JVC RS56 (digital) was installed farther back over the second row of seats instead where the ceiling is higher.

Pictures:

Custom hushbox and unistrut ceiling mount hardware is included:

For more projector pictures see our Zenith 1200 Layout and Setup Tips section of the website. These pictures were taken from my projector.

Projector details:
  • 8466 hours on the chassis with about half or one third of that on the tubes (Barco doesn't differentiate between projector and tube on time). The projector was often left running in-between uses with the tubes muted (better for the electronics than turning it off/on many times a day). Using our Tube Rating Chart, there is some 16x9 wear on the green tube (7-8 rating) and no visible wear on red and blue (8-9 rating). It can be floor or ceiling mounted without concerns as the phosphor usage was always maximized (which also allowed me to run it at lower contrast). You should get 6000-8000 hours out of these tubes. The chassis is good to 50-100K hours.
  • The RGB Driver board (R762720) and RGB Input & Switching board (R762719) were upgraded. The analog video path was "hot rodded" by our forum's very own WTS (Walter) with higher end parts for better depth/detail. (Walter is known for assisting Moome with the high performance analog design of his HDMI input boards).
  • The lenses are liquid coupled with tinted C-elements for greater contrast ratio, less halo'ing, and better colour reproduction.
  • The Greyscale/Colour/Gamma were last calibrated in August 2011. (My Greyscale & Colour Calibration Guide for Dummies was written using this projector as the reference).
  • 2000 or 2001 build date (sticker has fallen off). Very late model, the last ones Barco built.
  • Contrast modulation board built in, suitable for edge blending if you have a matching unit.
To quote our Zenith PRO 1200x page:

Quote:
Around 2000 Zenith was looking to market a truly best in class home theater projector. In considering their options, they realized (as had NEC), that a 9” projector was not necessary for home theater as a projector with very high quality electronics and high resolution 8” tubes was quite capable of displaying all HDTV formats extremely well.

So Zenith had Barco build a liquid coupled, high resolution tubed, color filtered better electronics projector that could be offered at very competitive price point (only $29,995 USD in 2001). After doing this for Zenith, Barco also sold this same projector with their scaler installed as the Barco Cine 8 Onyx which was only available for sale in Europe (per the agreement with Zenith).

The Zenith Pro 1200x is a very late model, top of the line 8" projector with liquid coupled tubes, high bandwidth (120Mhz) and other advanced features making it on par with the NEC XG-110LC/XG-135LC and the Sony G70. It has a very short throw distance as well: This projector installs approximately x1.2 screen widths away instead of the average x1.4-1.5 screen widths found in most projectors. Perfect for installing above the first row of seats.

Most information on the Internet tends to point out that the Zenith 1200 is a rebadged Barco Data 808s (BD808s) with liquid coupled (LC) tubes. Somewhat misleading as the Zenith 1200 is actually a much better machine than that. As mentioned above it is almost identical to a late model (2001+) Barco Cine 8 Onyx. The Onyx is a 'special edition' Cine 8 that added LC'ed tubes and a few other niceties to the regular Cine 8 chassis. Only 40 Onyx projectors were ever made.

The Zenith 1200 shares the following similarities with the Cine 8 Onyx that set them apart from the Barco Data 808s (from most important to least important [IMHO] in terms of what it does to the picture quality for movie viewing):

• Liquid coupled lens/CRT assembly for greater contrast and less halo'ing. HD-215 lenses are used instead of HD-8's. The Cine 8 Onyx is in fact the only 8" Barco front projector with liquid coupling.
  • Tinted (colour filtered) c-elements are used in the LC'ed assembly for the Red and Green lenses for more accurate colours. Other than the Cine series, all other 8" and 9" EM focusing Barcos are use clear c-elements or clear glycol. Projectors without tinted glycol/c-elements tend to display red as red/orange and green as green/yellow.
  • Late model 120Mhz VPJ08B RGB output amps. The BD808s uses the 75Mhz VPJ06 amps. Note: Even though the specs 'say' the Zenith 1200 is limited to 75Mhz bandwidth like the BD808s, the Cine 8 and Zenith 1200 share the same circuitry right from signal entry all the way to the RGB output amps so I have no idea why Zenith markets this as a 75Mhz unit. Barco may have required them to spec it this way as part of the agreement so as to not compete with the Cine 8? Or maybe it was just a typo on Zenith's part? Who knows.
  • The optional Contrast Modulation board is installed for even colour/brightness across the screen (left to right). See this document from Barco for more information.
  • Continuous (stepless) Scheimpflug adjustment for greater focus control for non-standard installs. (The BD808s uses shims while most of the Graphics series has continuous adjustments.)
  • Black case.
The only actual differences between the Cine 8 Onyx and the Zenith 1200 are:

• The Cine 8 Onyx (and the Cine 9) are equipped with the Limo Pro built-in scaler. The Cine 8 and Zenith 1200 do not include this feature. (No loss, external scalers are much better anyway. Anyone running a Cine 8/9 with the built in scaler is doing themselves a disservice!)
  • The Cine 8 and and Cine 8 Onyx have a max horizontal scanrate of 110Khz. The Zenith 1200 is software limited to 75Khz. (Not really an issue as 75Khz is high enough to do 1080p/60Hz from Blu-ray. The high matching bandwidth spec of 120MHz is much more important.)

This projector is ranked in the second highest group of High Performance CRT projectors on our Best/Worst CRT Projectors List in line with the Sony G70 and NEC XG (LC) projectors. I prefer this projector as it's much quieter.

More details on this projector can be found on our Zenith 1200 page.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 9 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like someone forgot to read the first rule Laughing

Quote:
Got something to sell or looking for something? Post here!
No working projector sales please! Projector parts, non-working projectors, and anything else is ok.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, he's the webmaster and can do as he pleases! Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busted. I should have mentioned that this was ok'ed by Curt. Sorry about that. Wink Curt also recommended pricing (which I then went well under with all the extras).

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say something but then Kal can end anyone of us here so I thought I'd just shhhhhhhh Wink

Someone is getting a nice Barco/Zenith setup there.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal i hope you make a step up to a 9 incher ?

Or do i see a digital here ? Twisted Evil

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Kal i hope you make a step up to a 9 incher ?

Or do i see a digital here ? Twisted Evil

See the original post:

Quote:
Reason for selling: We moved and cannot ceiling mount the projector over the first row of seats in our new basement remodel due to a low I-beam directly over the first row of seats. A JVC RS56 (digital) was installed farther back over the second row of seats instead where the ceiling is higher.

Kal

VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
A JVC RS56 (digital) was installed farther back over the second row of seats instead where the ceiling is higher.

Nice cover story. Wink

"It was the I-beam's fault. Yeah. Yeah,... that's the ticket!", J.Lovitz

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no interest at $1200 for everything? Make me an offer.

If someone just wants the projector, make me an offer too.

Otherwise I'll start parting things out.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the cash for it, I would buy the projector (just that), Im sure it would be an upgrade (as far as quietness goes among other things), but I would be commiting suicide if I bought it. Hope someone gets it instead of being parted out!! Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you part this out - i'm looking for a set of 120mhz mec amps Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price dropped to $950.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, come on guys!!! This is awesome!!!

Kal may I suggest you put this in the next news letter if you already did not do so. Someone will buy it for that price .

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want my front row center seat back so I just want this thing out of here... Wink

Good idea about the newsletter. I'll confirm with Curt first of course...

Kal

LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't already have a 1200 hanging from my apartment ceiling and it was 4 years ago I'd jump at this. At my current usage rate of about 1hr a month mine will outlive me. Hope he finds a nice home.
mx83toy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want it!!!! shipping id get rapped!!!!! whats shipping to sydney worth i dont mind it comming slow if i can save heaps doing it.... ( might be better pulling it apart and sending it over bit by bit lol Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mx83toy wrote:
i want it!!!! shipping id get rapped!!!!! whats shipping to sydney worth i dont mind it comming slow if i can save heaps doing it.... ( might be better pulling it apart and sending it over bit by bit lol Smile

Probably around $300 to $400 (guessing). I'd prefer to not ship.

Kal

overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
mx83toy wrote:

Probably around $300 to $400 (guessing). I'd prefer to not ship.

Kal

I dont know how many times I have said that over the years Smile
mx83toy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok if youd ship let me know it will take a lot of grovling to the wife but I might manage it will need to offload the cine 7 but I don't think that will be a problem
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, shipping to Sydney, Australia is closer to $800-900 for a Cine 8/Zenith 1200. Australia is THE most expensive place to send to, period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: