Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco gotta go - divorce pending!! :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fefrank

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
does the JVC have 4K Panels or only 1080p? Becasue if the panels are 1080p native then there is no way it's displaying native right?
I mean I had a Panasonic PT AX-200U it was only a 720p native projector. But when I feed it to 1080p bluray it looked fantastic! pretty much like 1080p but it wans't native. But the pixel compression was excellent, you could count 1920 x 1080p pixels on the screen according to the avs tech I talked to, but each pixel was compressed to fit a 1280 x 720 screen. Am in the wrong here? Please explain if I am
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Panny was just doing simple scaling. Resampling to be exact. A hardware scaler took the 1920x1080 image and used a scaling algorithm to resample the 1920x1080 image to fit the 1280x720 LCD panel. What the JVC is doing is significantly different.

Like Hog pointed out, the 1920x1080 image is first scaled (upsampled, actually) to 3840x2160. They do some image-processing voodoo at that time to scale the image to work well with the step that happens next, which is the "e-Shift" panel "wiggling" to create two separate, shifted images. Those two images are displayed faster than the eye can detect, creating one, visibly homogenous pseudo-3840x2160 image scaled created from a 1920x1080 image.

There is no 4k input on the JVC projectors. The idea is not to display 4k, which it WILL NOT do. It's to display a much smoother, finer, 1080p image to create a smoother, more film-like image, which it does most excellently. I've seen it in person, seated in the front row at ~1x screen width, and standing right at the screen. It works, and works well.

Understand that it is NOT 4k. It's nothing like having a true 4k chip, but that doesn't really matter right now, and for the next few years, since there is practically zero native 4k content. What e-Shift does is create an image better than a traditional 1080p display because it visibly eliminates the pixel grid, and reduces aliasing (jaggies) significantly, which is a big deal if you like a large viewing angle. IMHO, it nudges digital back toward the smooth, film-like image quality that we like about CRT.

SC

Last edited by ecrabb on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (10 photos)
fefrank

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
The Panny was just doing simple scaling. Resampling to be exact. A hardware scaler took the 1920x1080 image and used a scaling algorithm to resample the 1920x1080 image to fit the 1280x720 LCD panel. What the JVC is doing is significantly different.

Like Hog pointed out, the 1920x1080 image is first scaled (upsampled, actually) to 3840x2160. They do some image-processing voodoo at that time to scale the image to work well with the step that happens next, which is the "e-Shift" panel "wiggling" to create two separate, shifted images. Those two images are displayed faster than the eye can detect, creating one, visibly homogenous pseudo-3840x2160 image scaled created from a 1920x1080 image.

There is no 4k input on the JVC projectors. The idea is not to display 4k, which it WILL NOT do. It's to display a much smoother, finer, 1080p image to create a smoother, more film-like image, which it does most excellently. I've seen it in person, seated in the front row at ~1x screen width, and standing right at the screen. It works, and works well.

Understand that it is NOT 4k. It's nothing like having a true 4k chip, but that doesn't really matter right now, and for the next few years, since there is practically zero native 4k content. What e-Shift does is create an image better than a traditional 1080p display because it visibly eliminates the pixel grid, and reduces aliasing (jaggies) significantly, which is a big deal if you like a large viewing angle. IMHO, it nudges digital back toward the smooth, film-like image quality that we like about CRT.

SC

AMEN! now that makes sense.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ecrabb - I typed my "explanation" before heading out the door to go fly this morning. I re-read it and it leaves much to be desired, yours describes the process much clearer and more succinctly.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is even more slick than my fleshing-out explanation. Amazing what is built-into the projector itself. If it weren't so much effort to get a nice result, I'd almost go so far as to call it elegant. But man, what a crap ton of image processing.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed."

Matt
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
So it is even more slick than my fleshing-out explanation. Amazing what is built-into the projector itself. If it weren't so much effort to get a nice result, I'd almost go so far as to call it elegant. But man, what a crap ton of image processing.

Matt

it is insignificant to the power of the CRT! Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
mc86 wrote:

Matt

it is insignificant to the power of the BLENDED CRT(s)! Wink

Nashou

There fixed! Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo is the correct word. This isn't true 3840x2160. Your eyes are not making out 3840x2160 pixels in distinct parking locations, but just two 1920x1080 being overlapped by a half-pixel shift. And while this does serve to cover up the intersection of four pixels, this is by no means 3840x2160.

If anything it, to me, is like 3840x2160 interlacing.

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Voodoo is the correct word. This isn't true 3840x2160. Your eyes are not making out 3840x2160 pixels in distinct parking locations, but just two 1920x1080 being overlapped by a half-pixel shift. And while this does serve to cover up the intersection of four pixels, this is by no means 3840x2160.

If anything it, to me, is like 3840x2160 interlacing.

One could make the same "voodoo" argument about how displays trick us into percieving billions of colors when the only actual colors thrown on the screen are red, green and blue. Or how DLP is just voodoo because each pixel only has two positions - on and off - modulated faster than we can detect through color filters to create a picture. Or how CRT is just voodoo because it's can't paint an entire frame all at once. Every single display tech uses some sort of "trickery" based on how our visual system works. As long as the end result of said "voodoo" is perceived by our visual system with the desired effect, then as far as we're concerned there's no "voodoo" at all.

Using e-Shift, there are absolutely 3840x2160 individual pixels on the screen. They are not individually addressable for chroma or luma, they do not come from a true 4K source, and they cannot achieve the fine detail that a 4K native PJ display a 4K source can. As ecrabb pointed out, what e-Shift does achieve is significantly less aliasing, less pixel visibility, and the elimination of inter-pixel gaps (which, as I explained earlier, isn't really a problem with LCoS in the first place). I can happily sit 10' from my 12' wide scope screen, and virtually never be bothered by my RS55's pixel structure with e-Shift engaged (which it always is). For the same price would I take a projector with similar specs but true 4K panels? Absolutely. But for 1080p prices, I'm quite happy with the resultant "4K-lite" picture.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hog... Exactly.

Wan, I used the word "voodoo" simply to explain what is a very complex process of image scaling, analyzing motion vectors, and creating sub-pixels. It's "voodoo" like differential equations or particle physics are voodoo to me. If you'll notice, I also said e-Shift works, and works well.

See, the cheapest true 4k projector available right now is Sony's VW1000ES at nearly $25k. If you have money to burn, knock yourself out. Personally, I think it's bone stupid at this point, since unless you know somebody at a studio, you have nearly zero 4k content to watch on it now, and for the near future. That said, more power to the people who have the money; the more they buy those machines (and other 4k displays), the faster the business case will make sense to offer 4k content to the rest of us. But, I digress...

Here's the bottom line: A VW1000ES is $25k. A JVC with e-Shift can be had for $5000 retail; less on the street. e-Shift is perfect for those of us who like to sit close to the screen, and watch 1080p source material, and who like the "film-look" or CRT. e-Shift is excellent. That's it.

I will almost certainly trade up to an e-Shift machine if I can score a deal on a b-stock or refub unit.

Don't knock it until you've seen it.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
See, the cheapest true 4k projector available right now is Sony's VW1000ES at nearly $25k. If you have money to burn, knock yourself out. Personally, I think it's bone stupid at this point, since unless you know somebody at a studio, you have nearly zero 4k content to watch on it now, and for the near future.

+100 to that.

About the only real advantage to a real 4K machine today is that it's useful to fix convergence errors on 1080p signals without introducing funky scaling issues. Today many 1080p digital projectors have sub-pixel convergence adjustment but they come at a huge penalty in that in most they introduce scaling errors since you can't actually shift anything: It's all done in software, since many (including the JVCs) have only 1 panel so you can't physically move anything. The general concensus is that sub-pixel adjustments should not be used. Now if you have a *real* 4K panel like on the Sony VW1000ES you can adjust by whole pixels on a 1080p and actually have them be "subpixels".

Other than that I have no idea why people are so hyped about wanting 4K projectors. It would be like being excited for a car that runs on some fuel that doesn't exist. What's the point.

Quote:
Here's the bottom line: A VW1000ES is $25k. A JVC with e-Shift can be had for $5000 retail; less on the street. e-Shift is perfect for those of us who like to sit close to the screen, and watch 1080p source material, and who like the "film-look" or CRT. e-Shift is excellent. That's it.

Yep. e-shift is something I wanted myself for the reasons previously stated.

Funny, just as I was about to post, I had to stop the answer the door to accept this:

It's Xmas all over again!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding, Kal!!!

Smile

Thumbs Up

Can't wait to hear what you think!

SC
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Other than that I have no idea why people are so hyped about wanting 4K projectors. It would be like being excited for a car that runs on some fuel that doesn't exist. What's the point.

...and with the magic nonexistent fuel, it could go 300mph. Of course they CAN'T drive it 300mph, but "well I COULD..."

Similarly I don't see the point of 4k. Unless they're sitting at something like 0.8x screen width, most people don't even have the visual acuity to resolve 1080p pixels. Especially with something like the e-shift.

Happy new toy, Kal!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Kal!

On 4k, I agree about the content, but the displays are coming anyway.

On the Sony, I think one could have gotten it from AVS for around $20k. A lot of people that bought it wanted it for the light output. I know I told Bill Miller that he should buy it and leave AVS for a couple of years, as nothing will surpass it for awhile.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

It's Xmas all over again!

Kal

Good to know we will be getting a good unbiased review Smile

I'm digging the el cheapo W7000 so far. It has it's quirks, but boy what a little light cannon for the price.

I actually have 1920X817P@72hz working on it. Pretty sweet Cool
jamsys

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Gotta know the review!!!!!!

I went to watch a movie on the cine8, and the auto calibration I did last night didn't take (kal???). It's noisy, and I had a bad flash of my 17mo old getting hit with that ( the jvc is still gonna hurt). Then it's gonna cost 800 + for a good Calibration.....

Argh and I just bought a fury 3....

What are the street prices out there and the main differences between units of the jvc? Wireless HDMI as I have a good 60 run?

If its good for kal it's good for me Smile
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing you can do is go to AVS and ask one of their sales guys. I know Mike Garrett and he is a good guy. Give him an email and he will give you the best prices you can get.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, please understand my response isn't objective. I'm trying to explain my concerns in how I think my eyes will interpret that diagram. I think I might see it as a smearing of image from position (x,y) to (x+1/2, y-1/2). The persistence of phosphor utilized their own space with nothing overlapping, if I am remembering correctly. E-shifting seems to be adding frames that are simply offset by a half row/column.

Don't take what I am saying as me writing anything in stone. I'd need to see it in action, and against a non e-shifting example. Guess I have a project ahead of me.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan, if it were just taking the 1080p image and feeding it into the mechanism that shifts the 1/2 pixel, then yes - it would be appear smeared. But, that's not what's happening. It's first creating a new scaled 3840x2160 image, that's motion-analyzed, and new sub-pixels created. That new image is created specifically FOR that pixel-shifting mechanism. So, no - it does not appear smeared - to your eyes, or anybody else's.

It's important to remember that, while the original source pixels may not be as sharp or as visible as they might be on a 1080p display, and that it sounds like that may be blurry, you have to remember: You don't really WANT to see hard-edged pixels. In fact, that's kind of the point.

Until you see it for yourself, there's no reason to prognosticate about how it will look smeared, blurry, or anything else. I've seen it in person, Spanky's seen it in person, HogPilot HAS one, and from all our first experiences, and it looks excellent.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was about five of us that did a comparison last year at Cedia with and without e-shift. IIRC the consensus was if it is over 1 screen width then it would be hard to see a difference. If it is under, then you could see a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: