Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

screen design recommendations and ideas requested
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Okay, I think this may be what I go with. I'm excited I can do a blend and an AT screen.

I'm willing to do my part to bug Lumagen about getting a zone based CMS into their product.

Now I need to get motivated to pot all my new LUGs and build the structure to hang the projectors from.

Steve

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
No, I get that's a great screen, Spanky... No doubt, and if he had a JVC, it looks awesome. But, looking at the gain numbers, I just don't see how either of their materials would work at all for a CRT blend. I could be wrong, but it looks like bad news with either of their materials. I think you want something like a 1.1-1.3 diffuse white screen for a blend to best hide the blend and not create twin hot-spots.

Where's Bob or Athanasios when we need them?

SC

That was the thing. I didn't see a hot spot like I did years ago with their material. Anyway, it was just an idea. Would be a fun test though.

mr_ro_co wrote:
Okay, I think this may be what I go with. I'm excited I can do a blend and an AT screen.

I'm willing to do my part to bug Lumagen about getting a zone based CMS into their product.

Now I need to get motivated to pot all my new LUGs and build the structure to hang the projectors from.

Steve

You should be ok with the 4k screen. It is impressive. One thing is I believe it is closer to .9 gain. Cliff tested it, so you can ask him.

I doubt you will get your wish with Lumagen. I don't want to sound callous, but there are maybe 5 to 10 people doing a blend with 3 posting here.
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
No, I get that's a great screen, Spanky... No doubt, and if he had a JVC, it looks awesome. But, looking at the gain numbers, I just don't see how either of their materials would work at all for a CRT blend. I could be wrong, but it looks like bad news with either of their materials. I think you want something like a 1.1-1.3 diffuse white screen for a blend to best hide the blend and not create twin hot-spots.

Where's Bob or Athanasios when we need them?

SC

That was the thing. I didn't see a hot spot like I did years ago with their material. Anyway, it was just an idea. Would be a fun test though.

mr_ro_co wrote:

Steve

You should be ok with the 4k screen. It is impressive. One thing is I believe it is closer to .9 gain. Cliff tested it, so you can ask him.

I doubt you will get your wish with Lumagen. I don't want to sound callous, but there are maybe 5 to 10 people doing a blend with 3 posting here.

Yeah, you are probably right.

I talked to Seymour yesterday about their 4k material. Bottom line for me from Seymour: A 10' wide motorized screen is $5200. I'm not clear on their gain specs. Seymour said it's an ISF .8, and a non-certified .98. I assume with a calibrated result I'd have to run the projectors harder than I'd like to.

Steve

dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into Hurley? That's what Nashou is using. I did have a sample of the 1.0 screen and it looked fine. I also went to their showroom where they had a retractable screen on display. I think their prices are competitive with Seymour screens.

http://hurleyscreen.com/

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:
I talked to Seymour yesterday about their 4k material. Bottom line for me from Seymour: A 10' wide motorized screen is $5200. I'm not clear on their gain specs. Seymour said it's an ISF .8, and a non-certified .98. I assume with a calibrated result I'd have to run the projectors harder than I'd like to.

Ouch. OK. I knew the material was pricey, but I guess the material, motorized, and 10'-wide are a bad combination.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have a hurley screen, its not bad. It does have an imperfection on it i noticed months after I have been using it. Like i high spot on it. I never tried to return it since it was three months later and the 13 foot wide 2.4 screen only cost just over 300 bucks( lace and grommet. A motorized screen will be much more. you'll be paying more for the frame than the material.

I used the MW-16 in a gain of 1 that can be perforated as well. Now rememebr any perforated screen will be visible somewhat, unless you get an SMX screen like Cliff has or had. Amazing screen. That is what I want to get one day even if I don't put speakers behind it. its that nice!!!

But Hurley might be the best bet for now. I bet their Frame will cost less than any others. the later if you want a different material I bet you can swap it out yourself.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to go AT, then I would go 4k regardless of the consequences. Personally, I never really liked the weaves. Seymour's regular screen is ok, but I can see the weave at like 8 feet or more. I think SMX's weave was better, but I am not sure if it is available anymore. To me, 4k is almost like a solid screen. Matter of fact, an AVS member and myself thought it was a solid screen at first. IIRC it took a couple of minutes before we figured it out or Chris told us (can't remember which). SMX's 4k is equally awesome. Somewhere on AVS, there is a video of me right up against the screen and I can't see any texture.

Unfortunately at least with Seymour, you have to buy the whole screen and not the material. Chris said the screen material doesn't lend itself to easy DIY, so he decided to go the whole screen route.
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent info, guys, thanks. I'll look into the Hurley product as well. I'm okay dropping the big coin on the Seymour if the lower gain is appropriate for CRT. Do you guys think the ISF calibrated/certified .8 gain on the 4k would require running the projectors unnecessarily hard?

Best,

Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: