Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I have to say that epson is the best. :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fefrank

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: I have to say that epson is the best. :) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yesterday night I wrote an email to epson's costumer service saying how unhappy I am with the 8350 unit I have at the moment. I've exchage this projector 6 times in a 1 year and 4 month period. I've been buying epson projectors since I started my home theater back in 2002. I told them that because of this experience I will probably not buy an epson projector ever again. Today a very polite costumer service representative called me and offered to upgrade my projector to a brand new Epson 5010. I was astonished! Shocked. It's this a dream? I said to myself, It's this a joke?. And he replied: We really apppreciate your business with us and we will like to show that appreciation by upgrading you to one of our best projectors. I hope that this will sufice. We are so sorry for the difficulties you have encountered with this unit, and I hope that this unit will deliver everything that you need without issues.

I have to say that 10 years buying epson has been great. I've never had a bad experience with Epson and I've owned 3 in the last 10 years. Even though the Epson 8350 unit really has problems and is not the sharpest knife in the box, Epson's costumer service and appreciation has blown me away. I will recommend Epson to anyone that plans on buying a digital projector. In my experience they won't let you down. And they really take care of their costumers. I will give you feedback on my new 5010 unit once it arrives. I am very sure that it would be a game changer and hope that Epson figures out the problems with the 8350 unit.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: I have to say that epson is the best. :) Reply with quote

fefrank wrote:
Yesterday night I wrote an email to epson's costumer service saying how unhappy I am with the 8350 unit I have at the moment. I've exchage this projector 6 times in a 1 year and 4 month period. I've been buying epson projectors since I started my home theater back in 2002. I told them that because of this experience I will probably not buy an epson projector ever again. Today a very polite costumer service representative called me and offered to upgrade my projector to a brand new Epson 5010. I was astonished! Shocked. It's this a dream? I said to myself, It's this a joke?. And he replied: We really apppreciate your business with us and we will like to show that appreciation by upgrading you to one of our best projectors. I hope that this will sufice. We are so sorry for the difficulties you have encountered with this unit, and I hope that this unit will deliver everything that you need without issues.

I have to say that 10 years buying epson has been great. I've never had a bad experience with Epson and I've owned 3 in the last 10 years. Even though the Epson 8350 unit really has problems and is not the sharpest knife in the box, Epson's costumer service and appreciation has blown me away. I will recommend Epson to anyone that plans on buying a digital projector. In my experience they won't let you down. And they really take care of their costumers. I will give you feedback on my new 5010 unit once it arrives. I am very sure that it would be a game changer and hope that Epson figures out the problems with the 8350 unit.

Really good to see that a large company actually listens to a customer and understands the value a repeat customer brings to the organisation. Giving you a better unit well that's just outstanding.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like their printers, but I wouldn't hang one in my home theater Mr. Green
View user's photo album (2 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
I really like their printers, but I wouldn't hang one in my home theater Mr. Green

I have one in my home theater Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say fefrank, you sure flipped your tune from your previous post about the projector. Smile

I agree, this was beyond the typical level of customer service, but it doesn't change that they've cranked out a model that was complete crap. Maybe it had a core engineering problem and that's why Epson dished out free units without question, who knows.

One thing's for sure, you handled your letter to them the correct way. I read a while back that had you phrased the letter 'I WON'T be buying another Epson product', that they probably wouldn't have sent you a replacement unit, since they'd assume that they'd already lost you as a customer. Since you said ' I PROBABLY won't be buying another Epson, they had a chance to redeem themselves.

So good for you, but I'd hold out a final opinion when you see how long this one lasts.

Just my $.02
Phoenixed

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

See. Wheres your sense of adventure?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I have to say fefrank, you sure flipped your tune from your previous post about the projector. Smile

I agree, this was beyond the typical level of customer service, but it doesn't change that they've cranked out a model that was complete crap. Maybe it had a core engineering problem and that's why Epson dished out free units without question, who knows.

One thing's for sure, you handled your letter to them the correct way. I read a while back that had you phrased the letter 'I WON'T be buying another Epson product', that they probably wouldn't have sent you a replacement unit, since they'd assume that they'd already lost you as a customer. Since you said ' I PROBABLY won't be buying another Epson, they had a chance to redeem themselves.

So good for you, but I'd hold out a final opinion when you see how long this one lasts.

Just my $.02

I did actually said I wont be buying an epson projector ever again. You are good curt. this is what I wrote:

I've been having problems with my epson 8350 ever since I got it in April 2011. I've had to return the unit 6 times for various reasons. I am very dissatisfied with this projector, and although costumer service has been very helpful, exchanging projectors for refurbished units and new ones just keeps giving me new and worse problems instead of fixing them. The new unit I got 6 months ago keeps giving me an "auto iris error" when I power on the unit. I have dust blobs all over the screen, and now they are clearly visible when watching 2:35:1 material. I've been having these problems on a on for almost 2 years. There is clearly a problem with this model and Epson hasn't done anything to fix it. I've been using Epson projectors for my home theater for 10 years now, before this I was a very satisfied costumer but now I have to say that because of this experience I am won't be buying an epson projector ever again.

I demand an exchange for a different model or a full refund. Please let me know how you plan on fixing this.
fefrank

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epson has been good for me. But not this last time. On the other hand I hav an epson movie mate 25, that's still working since 2002 with more than 10,000 hours on the unit. Of course I've had to change the bulb like 5 times but it's still working properly. Then I had an epson powerlite 75 and that thing had to be sold because of financial problems. Then attempeted to go panasonic and the unit I bought was DOA so not much luck there. Same thing with Optoma HD20 attempting to go 1080p for the first time, DOA!. So then I decided to go back to epson so pretty much, epson has not been bad considering all the problems other people say they are having. I am still dissapointed with epson but very happy that hey are sending me a 5010 unit which is 3D and boast of a contrast ratio of 200,000:1<--- ( All lies).
Let's see when the unit gets here. Maybe I'll sell it and buy G90. Wink
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your 'multiple projector' story is unique.

Digital owners change projectors because they have to.
CRT owners change projectors because they want to.

Very Happy
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some truth here, but there's also some hyperbole. The vast majority of digital owners also change projectors because they want to. I know many, many more people that have had digitals for years (and use them daily) than I do people that have had busted machines.

Everybody I know either still has the same digital they had 3-4 years ago, or if they don't, it's because they simply upgraded to something better - the same sh*t we do/did with CRT projectors. Ooohhhh, my 7" ES machine is fine, but an 8" EM/LC machine be better... Ooohhhh.... My 8" EM/LC machine is nice, but a 9" is better. Ooohhh, my 1209 is nice, but a 909 is better. Unless you have a G90, 909, or 9500 Ultra, most are "jonesin'" for an upgrade.

There's no question that new machines aren't made like they used to be. OTOH, they don't cost the same as a car, they don't sound like a rack full of server fans, and they don't weigh 200 pounds or take a couple of big guys and most of a day to hang properly.

My RS45 cost nearly 1/10th of what the G70 I replaced it with would have cost if I'd bought it new. The JVC is superior in every way but three: Absolute black (on/off), extreme film-like image, and parts/repairability. If those three things are important, and nothing else is, then CRT is the only option. If you care about other things, like ANSI contrast, size, noise, ease-of-use, screen size, brightness, placement flexibility, house resale, then digital is not only a viable option, but a very good one.

Pros and cons, people. Pros and cons.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Crabb said, I haven't known a lot of people with problem digitals. My best friend got a bum RS-45 last year and AVS replaced it right away. The replacement was fine and has been silent humming along ever since. That is the only one I can think of right off hand.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I was just goofing around. Sure, there's piles of good working digitals out there, and by all means, the older units weren't as small and didn't run nearly as hot as the later ones do. I still say 2-5 years or 2-3 bulb lives is the typical life of anything digital bought new today. The high end JVCs and Sonys might be the exception.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, that 2-5 years can be said about a lot of things. $2K refrigerators and clothes washers, $50K cars. None of the CRT manufacturers planed for consumer grade, but if they had do you really think they would have been built like a tank? Doubtful. So comparing something expected to get 250K miles in a couple of years to something get 30K is not really comparative.
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna argue this one again..Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to read comments over at AVS from digital owners upgrading. I swear most of them actually have zero interest in movies and are simply in it to have the latest and greatest.

Case in point: I'm shocked at how common it is for people to sell their digital projectors in late summer when new models are announced (but not yet available) so that they can try and recoup as much as possible as they want to upgrade to the newer model once it becomes available.

They're without a projector for a good portion of the year (4-5 months) as they wait for the new model to become available. I just don't get it. Yes, you won't get as much for last year's model if a newer version is on the market, but who says you always have to have the latest and greatest? 6 months ago they were ecstatic with their projector. Now because something that is (maybe) 5-10% better is out their projector is crap and has to be replaced?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of Epson owners with exploding bulbs would disagree.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
It's interesting to read comments over at AVS from digital owners upgrading. I swear most of them actually have zero interest in movies and are simply in it to have the latest and greatest.

Case in point: I'm shocked at how common it is for people to sell their digital projectors in late summer when new models are announced (but not yet available) so that they can try and recoup as much as possible as they want to upgrade to the newer model once it becomes available.

They're without a projector for a good portion of the year (4-5 months) as they wait for the new model to become available. I just don't get it. Yes, you won't get as much for last year's model if a newer version is on the market, but who says you always have to have the latest and greatest? 6 months ago they were ecstatic with their projector. Now because something that is (maybe) 5-10% better is out their projector is crap and has to be replaced?

Kal

Yeah, it is both strange and funny. Some actually have another pj to hold them over.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruby still going strong. 6 years old, never missed a beat. on its 2nd bulb - did approx 2500 on the previous...

first projector that wife and i "didn't see". we only see the movie now. but i'll probably replace it with a jvc when its due for its next bulb...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Yeah, it is both strange and funny. Some actually have another pj to hold them over.

Good point. Never thought of that.

Speaking of which, equally odd I find is that some people have 2 digital projectors because they don't want to use their "expensive" projector with "expensive" bulbs too much. So they buy a really cheap digital for "every day use" (like watching TV) and then only turn on the "expensive" projector for watching movies. Maybe it's just me, but that seems like an odd thing to do. The savings don't seem great when you factor in that you need to buy the cheaper projector (it still costs something) and supply it the cheaper bulbs. Then you also don't get as good as image quality 80% of the time you watch something. To me that's an odd choice.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
fefrank

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 5010 got here yesterday while I was at work. Got home and opened up the package. The projector is beautifull, a nice piece of electronic to go in my small living room/theater. Once on the picture was outstanding. Incredible blacks even without the iris, super sharp picture after playing with the convergence alignment feature which was very similar to the barco's 1208's in terms of alignment software. No pixels that I could see on a 110'' screen very clean picture. awesome colors for an out of the box setup. The 3D was purely amazing and breathtaking, I watched hubble on 3D and I thought I was traveling through space literally. Other features like 2d to 3d conversion, and frame interpolation, and super resolution are totally useless for us purists because it takes away from the natural film like picture integrating artifacts and a sense of fake motion to video content.

But.... Here is the catch!. Its got a geometry problem. I will try to post pictures later, but on the uper right side of the screen there is a dip of about half and inch degree, and on bottom right aswell, so the screen pictured is not square. Is very slight but Is enough to bother the crap out of me when watching 1:78:1 material. I can't see it on 2:35:1 because of the unused space on top and bottom, and blacks are good enought to not see the bars. My wife says it doesn't bother her but it bugs me a little too much. So the bottom line is that I am kind of dissapointed with the quality issues I've been having. I am sick and tired of trading defective material from epson. This time I will ask for them to fix it in their facility here in salt lake. My warraty doesn't end until april maybe I could live with it for a month or so and take to their repairing facility.

Bottom line. Epson has great costumer service. The best service you will ever get in any company. But if you want quality go JVC or Sony, you can even go panasonic and probably not get as many issues. If you want to get away from headaches, do not go for an epson. Like I said I love their costumer support! They are more than great! they are literally awesome but they seriously have a bad quality problem with their products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: