Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Problem with Bluray playback on PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Problem with Bluray playback on PC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am helping to setup a "new" system. The projector is a NEC PG9000 driven at 720p-72Hz. The PC is based on a Pentium D945 (2x3.4GHz) CPU with 2GB ram and ATI HD4650 (512MB) VGA card, running on a 32bit Win7 os. The blurays are on an external harddrive (WD Elements). And I was unable to get usable framerates neither with VLC nor with MPC. I have no experience with this video card but I think it should play HD movies fine on relatively weak CPUs and however this Pentium D is fairly old but should be quite capable. Any suggestion what am I missing?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a "Use hardware Acceleration" check box in either video playback program?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with Core AVC codec and DXVA acceleration in MPC, and the output wasn't statisfactory either. However statistics in MPC showed good framerates and minimal dropped frames, but the motion is unsmooth (regardless of hardware acceleration), not quite chopping, more like waving and slow, CPU was usage around 60-70%.
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe 2 GB RAM will be enough to run Blu-Rays, even from a harddrive. That's a lot of data being transferred. And you have the overhead of the USB or other data network to squeeze in there as well. Bet the OS is making a huge swap file on the primary drive.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But none of the media players wants more than ~200MB ram according to Task manager, top of that there are plenty free ram, I think this is more like a codec setup problem, Next time I'll play with that.
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Microsoft's own minimum spec for Windows 7 32-bit is 1GB memory. Add the 200 MB the player needs and you're down to 800 MB free memory, even if nothing else is running in the background. The Windows site also says, "Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware". I still think there isn't enough RAM to give you smooth glitch-free playback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: