Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony 1040Q repeated picture via HTPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just take the H+V cables and T them together with a BNC T fitting.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Just take the H+V cables and T them together with a BNC T fitting.

Ooh, I didn't know there is such a thing. Looking at pictures, it seems like the side input of the T could make the twist-on aspect of the BNC a problematic fit. Or, are they generally designed to rotate 90* so the T is vertical, as opposed to being horizontal and interfering with the adjacent terminals?

With that, I would be able to run the computer's VGA to the 5-BNC breakout and directly to the Barco, correct? No need for a separate video card, transcoder, etc. (I've guessed wrong too many times now to be confident!)

Any thoughts on how the video quality of a 15' VGA cable compares to what I was previously running through a Canare Component of equal length? Seeing how each of the Canare's 3 cables is nearly the thickness of the entire VGA cable, I have to think there's some loss there. If I'm going to all this trouble, I'd rather not sacrifice a bunch of quality.

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the Canare component cables. I have a set and they are nice.
Cables are subjective. Test them and see. If you see ringing or an over all soft picture get a better cable.

You could always go for a DVI-I to RGBHV BNC female break out cable and run 5 runs of RG6 Quad Shiled or Beldin co-ax. That makes for a nice picture too.

BNC T shouldn't be too difficult to fit unless your BNC jack on the projector is too close to the case.

DVI-I_DVI-D_RGBHV.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.64 KB
 Viewed:  11820 Time(s)

DVI-I_DVI-D_RGBHV.jpg

BNC_T.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.4 KB
 Viewed:  11820 Time(s)

BNC_T.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Cables are subjective. Test them and see. If you see ringing or an over all soft picture get a better cable.

Unfortunately, I have no way to test the Canare with the HTPC currently. Doing so would require a video card with component TV-out, in which case there's no point even using the VGA and BNC T in the first place. So, if there's likely to be a need to compare, I might as well just avoid the issue with the initial choice of direction.

Quote:
You could always go for a DVI-I to RGBHV BNC female break out cable and run 5 runs of RG6 Quad Shiled or Beldin co-ax.

I don't think I can do that, either, without going to a separate video card, since the on-board graphics only have DVI-D.

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkap wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Unfortunately, I have no way to test the Canare with the HTPC currently. Doing so would require a video card with component TV-out, in which case there's no point even using the VGA and BNC T in the first place. So, if there's likely to be a need to compare, I might as well just avoid the issue with the initial choice of direction.

Quote:
You could always go for a DVI-I to RGBHV BNC female break out cable and run 5 runs of RG6 Quad Shiled or Beldin co-ax.

I don't think I can do that, either, without going to a separate video card, since the on-board graphics only have DVI-D.

Dan

I meant test the Breakout cable. Are you sure your PC only have DVI-D? I thought you had run a DVI to VGA adaptor with it previously?

What motherboard model number?

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I meant test the Breakout cable.

That's paired with the VGA cable, so I wouldn't be able to tell which is the shortcoming.

Quote:
Are you sure your PC only have DVI-D? I thought you had run a DVI to VGA adaptor with it previously?

Nope, definitely just DVI-D. I first tried a DVI-I to VGA adapter for hooking up the VGA monitor and VGA projector outs, and the adapter didn't fit. Smile

Quote:
What motherboard model number?

ASRock H77M.

Dan
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go ahead and send the Barco in to Curt for repairs. (Fingers crossed that I can reassemble it!) So, I'll have it ready to go with the VGA cable for initial testing, and if that turns out to be unsatisfactory, I can look into TV-out video cards and adapters again.

Considering the Sony was running at 320x240 over a Composite cable, I can't imagine I'll have big complaints about the Barco at 1280x1024 over a VGA cable. It's all relative, right??

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkap wrote:
I decided to go ahead and send the Barco in to Curt for repairs. (Fingers crossed that I can reassemble it!) So, I'll have it ready to go with the VGA cable for initial testing, and if that turns out to be unsatisfactory, I can look into TV-out video cards and adapters again.

Considering the Sony was running at 320x240 over a Composite cable, I can't imagine I'll have big complaints about the Barco at 1280x1024 over a VGA cable. It's all relative, right??

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Dan

Composite NTSC is 720x480i

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Even though the Sony 1040Q only handles 320x240?

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkap wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Even though the Sony 1040Q only handles 320x240?

Dan

I imagine 240p (320x240 progressive ) is 15Khz which is close to the 15.75Kz scan rate. Which is what NTSC is at 720x480 interlaced.

So as long as you don't go over the max scan rate of the projector you're OK

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I imagine 240p (320x240 progressive ) is 15Khz which is close to the 15.75Kz scan rate. Which is what NTSC is at 720x480 interlaced.

So as long as you don't go over the max scan rate of the projector you're OK

That's a bit above my comprehension level... Smile Does that mean a higher resolution could be supported if the scan rate were low enough?

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way.

Twice the resolution interlaced = half the resolution progressive
so 720x480 interlaced 15.75KHz = 360x240 progressive also 15.75Khz

Likewise if you have the same resolution interlaced vs progressive it's half the scan rate
so 720x480 interlaced is 15.75KHz (480i) and 720x480 progressive is 31.5KHz (480p)

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I finally got TV-out configured on an older NVidia card (after installing a Win 8 trial, since Linux just wasn't getting me anywhere), which required a bit of trial and error but finally resulted in 480i options ... only to get no picture to the 1040Q when connected that way. Either the projector just isn't compatible with that sort of connection (I know the composite input works, because that's how I had it hooked up to the DVD player previously), the TV-out doesn't work (it didn't auto-detect the projector being present like it did via the VGA to 5-BNC connection), or something altogether different I'm missing. Talk about anti-climactic.

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Nvidia card?

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geforce 6200 TC. Driver installation in Linux was a complete mess, and although fairly straight forward in Win 8, not entirely clear what took place. It started out fine, detecting the card and everything, only to fail on installation saying no such card was recognized. But after rebooting, it was magically all set up just fine. The TV-out is the only piece that's been a mystery, as I had to much around a bunch with enabling and disabling various monitor connections, rebooting, changing extended/cloned settings, etc., before I could finally select "TV" as an output option.

I thought there was some potential with the VGA output, as it allowed me to set custom resolutions, but none of the ones I tried worked. Maybe it's worth going back to that and trying more combinations... At least it resulted in a signal being sent to the projector, albeit a scrambled one. The TV-out is just a black screen (red and blue tubes lit).

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a copy of XP you can try? 6200 cards were meant for Win98/2000/XP

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three XP installations, two of them retired, but they're tied to unusable hard drives. I do have a Win 2000 license, however. I assumed that would really limit my hardware compatibility options, ironically.

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No COA to do a re-inststal for XP?

CRT.

HD done right!
dkap

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I can find. Besides, one is on a dead SATA drive and the other is on an IDE drive that I can't hook up to anything. I don't see much to work with there. The third is my main work computer, so I don't want to mess with that.

Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What PC are you playing with now?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: